IGNORED

New Q*bert Atari 7800 Homebrew

Albert

Kenfused - I don't really like that name, and I think it would limit your sales.

WTFOQK? :?

I'ts not gonna limit a single sale. Why are some people (not directed at anyone, just a general statment) getting their nuts in a bunch other the name? Hell, calling it "FOQK" would be one of the only names aside from "QBERT" I would buy the game under as these alternate titles are stupid and do nothing to protect agenst legal action anyhow so why the "FOQK" not just call them what they are? Qbert, Burgertime, ect. ? All these silly names do is make me waste time hacking them to the right title and if anything the names aside from Qbert, ect is what will hurt in sales not the fact that the alternate name is a funny play on words as those who are more "purest" will want a hack of the game more than the released version just because of the title being WRONG :ponder:

@KEN - all the above is said in good faith and not to insult you in any way but more so to complement your fine work and to state they are worthy works of the games true respective names. :)

Edited by Shawn Sr.

I got a great name for Qbert,

FAH*Q :lol:

Looks like I was alot closer than I could have ever imagined :grin:

I had actually forgot about that one. Mine is not to be pronounced :-), it stands for Fairly Obvious Qbert Knockoff. If I do stick with that title it will probably also say "Fairly Obvious !#@$? Knockoff" or something like that on the title screen with the logo. I do think the 'F' needs to lean in a little to the right and the little blobby things on each end need work. I want them to sort of resemble '*'s.

Mine is pronounced "FAH-CUE" and yours is "FA-ECK", see simple. :P

I also wanted to implement FHMC Q*bert but will probably never have time.

I would have loved FHMC in a home console. If I remember correctly, this was the way Q*Bert was supposed to be originally, for the arcade game. After playing FHMC, the arcade Q*Bert seems slow and easy. :D

But, keep up the great work. I hope to see the finished product.

I should at least try to add the original arcade's more difficult setting.

Kenfused - I don't really like that name, and I think it would limit your sales. I wouldn't feel comfortable playing the game with young kids with that name. I love your Q*bert WIP - I play it on my Cuttle Cart 2, and so do lots of kids who use my 7800+CC2.

How about calling it Q*ken ? Or (my favorite) I*hop ?

If too many people object to the name due to a possible pronounciation vs. it not being called Q*bert, I will listen.

There are other words I could possible use instead of "fairly".

Believe it or not, when I scratched down the words I created the name from, I did not do that intenionally (although obviously I noticed after I wrote it down).

Kenfused - I don't really like that name, and I think it would limit your sales. I wouldn't feel comfortable playing the game with young kids with that name. I love your Q*bert WIP - I play it on my Cuttle Cart 2, and so do lots of kids who use my 7800+CC2.

I second that emotion.

Hmmm...Seeing Q*ken made me think of perhaps a diffferent play on Kenfused and Q*bert. How about...

Q*fused

?

-Trebor

Hmmm...Seeing Q*ken made me think of perhaps a diffferent play on Kenfused and Q*bert. How about...

Q*fused

?

-Trebor

How about:

Q*BERT

First Burgertime No wait Beef Drop, then Frogger Whoops I mean Froogie and now renaming Q*bert to what ever? COME ON PEOPLE! Name them the way they are. Thats the resoin why we wanted the arcade port on the unit cuase they where ARCADE in real live I never heard or BEEF DROP at my nearst arcade back in the 80s its Burger Time, Its Frogger and Q*bert IS Q*bert ! Nuff Said! :x

Edited by Atariboy2600

First Burgertime No wait Beef Drop, then Frogger Whoops I mean Froogie and now renaming Q*bert to what ever? COME ON PEOPLE! Name them the way they are. Thats the resoin why we wanted the arcade port on the unit cuase they where ARCADE in real live I never heard or BEEF DROP at my nearst arcade back in the 80s its Burger Time, Its Frogger and Q*bert IS Q*bert ! Nuff Said! :x

It's a trademark issue.

They CAN'T.

I was merely making fun of the fact taht people see another meaning behind F.O.Q.K. but curiously they seem to think "Beef Drop" is kiddy approved. :D

It's a trademark issue.

They CAN'T.

I was merely making fun of the fact taht people see another meaning behind F.O.Q.K. but curiously they seem to think "Beef Drop" is kiddy approved. :D

"Beef Drop" doesn't sound like a swear word when you say it to a 7 year old. I am no prude, but I think Atari video games that are not specifically "adult" titles should have kid friendly names. Because I play Atari with lots of kids. And lots of those kids like Q*bert - a lot. And I want their parents to want to have their kids realize just how good these classic games are.

One other name suggestion: Q*7800

Easy to say when you aren't bearing the risk of legal action for trademark infringement.

• Like 1

Easy to say when you aren't bearing the risk of legal action for trademark infringement.

:x CHANGING THE NAME OF A GAME TO TRY AND ESCAPE INFRINGMENT WILL NOT WORK!! IF THEY WANT TO FRY YOUR ASS THEY CAN FRY YOUR ASS NO MATTER WHAT YOU CALL IT. CHANGING THE NAME SAVES YOU FROM NOTHING. HOW MANY TIMES DOES IT NEED TO BE SAID! :x

Edited by Shawn Sr.

:x CHANGING THE NAME OF A GAME TO TRY AND ESCAPE INFRINGMENT WILL NOT WORK!! IF THEY WANT TO FRY YOUR ASS THEY CAN FRY YOUR ASS NO MATTER WHAT YOU CALL IT. CHANGING THE NAME SAVES YOU FROM NOTHING. HOW MANY TIMES DOES IT NEED TO BE SAID! :x

THANK YOU!

Edited by Atariboy2600

Case point If Atari sue for a game that looks 50% Pac-Man....

kcmunchkin6vo.jpg

Then Namco would had shut this place down from all the Pac-Man updated posts that was home made or hacked for all this time they dont why cuase they dont see us in hurting there cash cow games. You guys are not in a huge company making 1000s of these games a day.

Bally Midway will NOT send there Giant Gold Robots to hunt down the guy who made Beef Drop They would had done it even if its an other name cuase its the SAME GAME Grafx and thers no way of hiding it. Same with Frogger Konami is too much time on there hand to send there Deadly Ninjas on the programer who made that game and If I remeber right some meg said somthing about the Q*bert game for the 7800 on ther pages and I dont see anyone at Gottlieb or created Warren Davis bitching about soo dont tell me you renaming it for Copyright resion just dont hold water for me.

Edited by Atariboy2600

I still think there is a big difference between making a game that duplicates the look and feel of another game vs. trying to pass yours off as the real deal and using the name. The games were created mostly out of fun to see if I could do it, and to hopefully make a little bit of money to pay back some on the development tools (CC2, eprom programmer, eprom eraser, eproms).

Hmmm, maybe I'll make the character pink, put in a bow, and call it Cute*bert. j/k

Edited by kenfused

Atariboy and Sean -- I hear what you're saying but at the end of the day, neither of you is coding the game, nor are you taking the risk or making the decisions or putting your neck on the line.

This is the decision that the authors have the personal right to make.

Edited by DracIsBack

It's a trademark issue.

Per the US Patent and Trademark Office:

Word Mark BURGERTIME

Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 028. US 022 023. G & S: Video Output Game Machine and Video Game Cartridges. FIRST USE: 19820831. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19820831

Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS

Design Search Code 08.05.01 - Hamburger sandwiches

Serial Number 73390884

Filing Date September 28, 1982

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Published for Opposition February 21, 1984

Registration Number 1278143

Registration Date May 15, 1984

Owner (REGISTRANT) Data East, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 470 Gianni St. Santa Clara CALIFORNIA 95050

(LAST LISTED OWNER) DATA EAST USA, INC. CORPORATION BY MERGER WITH CALIFORNIA

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED

Attorney of Record Sheldon R. Meyer

Description of Mark The mark consists of Burgertime and design representation of a hamburger.

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Affidavit Text SECT 8 (6-YR).

Live/Dead Indicator DEAD

Cancellation Date February 19, 2005

The characters and graphics are probably still protected under copyright, but the BurgerTime trademark is no longer an issue. Q*Bert is still active, however.

It makes the legal departments of the trademark and copyright owners have quite a bit more difficulty tracking down and prosecuting infringments when the infringers are using different names for the works being taken from.

But if you'd like to help the lawyers for the trademark owners and not the Atari homebrew community, by all means, keep yelling the original arcade names to everyone you meet.

The characters and graphics are probably still protected under copyright, but the BurgerTime trademark is no longer an issue. Q*Bert is still active, however.

Yeah, I figured Data East is dead since their last game was Magical Drop III and that was back in the late 90's. So I assume it's safe to Beef Drop, Burgertime then?