IGNORED

Salvation Army Ripoffs

I don't know about your local Salvation Army stores, but mine are worse than ebay! This week, I saw Donkey Kong and Missle Command, for $2.95 each, they wanted $15.00 for a Game Boy Tetris, and $14.99 for a Game Boy Star Wars Game. And they've had a Sega Genesis there for $24.99 for the past couple of months. And they will not budge on the prices.

The 2600 games and the genesis don't sound terrible. There are some that sell rarity 2 carts for $5... :ponder: The genesis doesn't sound like a terrible price, granted they can be found for much much cheaper. The gameboy games on the other hand are a bit steep. Though I would argue that tetris is worth more than $15 considering how much time can be wasted / enjoyed playing the game.

When you're dealing with a store staff that doesn't know what it has, or only thinks it knows what it has, you're very likely to get either unbelievably good or unbelievably bad deals.

I once visited a Salvation Army that wanted $15 a pop for old SNES sports games, the kind you're lucky to get a quarter for if you try to sell them yourself. This same store had SNES and Genesis power supplies for $1.50 each. Guess what I bought, and what I didn't buy? :)

Don't forget Crazy Climber and Quadrun are also $2.95 each. I would take some more games to them that way when people are looking around they say I have some old games in the basement I should dig them up and give them away and then next time there might even be more. I love it when the prices are set to high at stores like this It keeps people from buying everything they see just to sell on ebay and lets you cherry pick the good ones for a good deal.

This past week at a Salvation Army store, I found a SNES for $5!!! Complete with controller and all cords. Cleaned up spotless and plays excellent.

Also found a Nintendo 64 for $6, so I got it. Looks great but needs controller and power supply that I can pick up at EB games or Rhino.

Found a PS for $20...not a real bargain so I passed on it. Rhino has them preplayed for $22.

A goodwill had a dreamcast in box for $40. Way too high, you can get them for under $20 at EB or Rhino.

Found a Sega mastersystem at another thrift store for $3. Console is in top shape, but no cords or controller were included. I got it anyway for the collection even if I don't come across the cords or games...$3 is a deal just to have one.

The same store had a Sega Cd that plugged into the genesis. It was in good shape for $9, but I chose to pass to look at other stores. I returned later to find it gone.

There was also a NES without cords and controller for $6. I passed on it since the game door was broken and the power connection on the unit was cracked.

There were various PC and Apples selling from$3 to $20 in various conditions.

3 years ago before I got back into collecting, I saw an Atari XE game system in box with several games, I can't remember the price now...seems like it was under $15. I regret not buying it!!!!!!