IGNORED

Is the x-box souless? well lets get your ideas

Can't help feeling a moral pang when playing a game of a war that's still in some peoples living memory.  Not cool.

I played Conflict: Vietnam, as I was sent a promo by the publishers, and the only thing missing from it was the word 'Gook'. It had a very pro-American undertone to it, and was intended to draw joy from the ability to shoot at Vietcong and civilians. It really upset me. And the controls were bad.

On another note - love the Xbox but I feel it really needs a few more innovative titles to give it a kick up the arse, perhaps some more Capcom support. It's also the only current generation not to have been blessed (or hindered) by a Treasure release.

No quirky Japanease games?

Steel Battalion (how friken quirky do you want?)

DOAX Vollyball

Pyo Pop Fever

JSRF

and hundreds more that are available only in Japan because westeners wouldn't want them or understand them. Bus Simulator anybody?

Ill say it again, if you want a quriky Japaneese game, look no futher than Phantom Dust. One of the strangest games in a while, yet for $20 one of the best buys of the entire XBOX lifespan. Awesome game, and I hate eastern titles.

Oh yeah, it was even first party in house developed by XBOX Japan!!!

Yeah, my x-box is soulless. I had to perform a *cough* x-orcism on it as it started spinning around the room and howling, while trying to upload windows into all of my appliances. ;-)

I now have to reboot my refigerator everytime I get a beer, cuz it locks up. :D

Yes. I agree. It is souless, And you put it into words I'd been searching for forever.

It just has no personality. It has no big niche. Halo is not a niche. It has no mascot. (PS2 barely does either, but at least it has the Japanese market niche. With the PSX2P, I feel a soul. It has a presence.) It just doesn't seem like it should be here.

Nintendo has a soul. They'd been here forever, and they have many well established characters. Sony has more characters as well. Master Chief isn't a mascot, IMHO. Fable guy isn't a mascot.

I dunno. I used to love my Xbox. But recently realized it just didn't have that feeling I get from the others.

Yes. I agree. It is souless, And you put it into words I'd been searching for forever.

It just has no personality. It has no big niche. Halo is not a niche. It has no mascot. (PS2 barely does either, but at least it has the Japanese market niche. With the PSX2P, I feel a soul. It has a presence.) It just doesn't seem like it should be here.

Nintendo has a soul. They'd been here forever, and they have many well established characters. Sony has more characters as well. Master Chief isn't a mascot, IMHO. Fable guy isn't a mascot.

I dunno. I used to love my Xbox. But recently realized it just didn't have that feeling I get from the others.

841931[/snapback]

I feel sorry for you, and Master Chief is a great mascott. Not to mention you have to start somewhere after all, and who says a console needs a Mascott to have soul? As mentioned, its clearly a western console and has a very western feel to it. Sure you and many others may not like it, but there are a lot of us that love it, and understand it. Not to mention for us, its the console that fits our gaming the best. I have about zero desire to play eastern games as most have more cutscene footage than gaming action and are simply to odd to be enjoyable.

BTW, does pimping Mario out into every genre an example of Nintendos soul? To me it shows their true colors. :ponder: Nintendo has history and means a lot to the industry, but the Cube has no more soul than any of the other current consoles. Simply putting the pedegree on the console doesn't mean anything without some serious games. At least the N64 had some epic gaming moments. None of which really exsist on the CUBE.. :|

I don't. What don't you get? When I think of the other systems, I feel something. But the Xbox just seems... empty to me. I feel like Troi on TNG, I can sense something with my Cube and PS?'s, but with the Xbox.. it's like it's not there.

I don't. What don't you get? When I think of the other systems, I feel something. But the Xbox just seems... empty to me. I feel like Troi on TNG, I can sense something with my Cube and PS?'s, but with the Xbox.. it's like it's not there.

841957[/snapback]

Yeah, but you're a Mac user, you're used to your electronic devices having character. I have a Cube, but I don't feel anything from it that I don't feel when playing a friend's xbox. Give me a Jackel to blow up or a Space Pirate to shoot and I'm happy either way.

The mascott can have a soul, but the Xbox does not. I feel no presence. I feel nothing for the Xbox.

You don't get it.

841954[/snapback]

Actually I do get it. ;)

My XBOX has plenty of presence. Not to mention functions the others dont have. Online, Im part of a community. Offline I can play custom sound tracks in game, something Ive wanted in games for a long time. Especially the games with crappy sound tracks or indie song lists.

Oh the fact that its a huge black box is nice too. May you are the one that doesn't get it.... ;)

I actually don't think having a mascot matters, at least not to real gamers, not just your average consumers. No one cared about mascots until Sega started in on Nintendo with Sonic. It was all marketing. They were giving themselves a brand name. they wanted you to buy a Genesis instead of an NES...and you could only play Sonic on a Genesis...and Sonic was cool...

Sure, when I think of Nintendo I think of Zelda and Mario, but it doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy and want to turn on my Gamecube more than my X-Box or PS-2 or 2600 etc.

Mascots aren't soul...they are marketing.

Can any object that is inanimate have a soul anyway?

Edited by Lord Helmet

When I think of the other systems, I feel something. But the Xbox just seems... empty to me. it's like it's not there.

I don't feel that it was created with the love and honesty systems like the Neo Geo or Dreamcast were. They were created for people to enjoy, to allow them to play and interact. The Xbox feels as if it was created to produce money, without the fact being hidden. Perhaps it's also its utilitarian PC roots - usefulness over any sense of flare.

When I think of the other systems, I feel something. But the Xbox just seems... empty to me. it's like it's not there.

I don't feel that it was created with the love and honesty systems like the Neo Geo or Dreamcast were. They were created for people to enjoy, to allow them to play and interact. The Xbox feels as if it was created to produce money, without the fact being hidden. Perhaps it's also its utilitarian PC roots - usefulness over any sense of flare.

842086[/snapback]

There you go! Exactly.

This is silly. The only amount of "soul" a machine can have is what you project onto it. Just because you feel warm fuzzies looking at your Odyssey 2 or GameCube doesn't mean the thing is inherently "soulful." Sure, the XBOX was designed to make money. So was the Atari VCS, the Colecovision, the NES, the Dreamcast, the Playstation, the Game Boy, the Vectrex, the Virtual Boy, and every other single game system ever made.

Except the Nuon. Everyone knew that thing wasn't going anywhere. And the N-gage. Does that mean they have "soul"? :roll:

XBOX looks like a supersized Saturn, except with more games, a better Netlink, and better graphics.

Except the Nuon.  Everyone knew that thing wasn't going anywhere.  And the N-gage.  Does that mean they have "soul"?  :roll:

842108[/snapback]

The NGage wasn't made to make money? Right. That must be why the QD came out within a year to fix the mistakes of the original. That would also explain why Nokia went to the trouble of getting a liscence for Splinter Cell CT and making it 3D. That might also explain why Nokia is unveiling the latest N-Gage remodeling at E3. Oh yes, and it would also explain why the company has already began developing the N-Gage 2. And of course, their continued attempt at making a killer ap and AAA titles is just the work of madmen. The Ngage is like the xbox in that the big rich company behind it will just keep throwing money into it until the market lets them start to make a buck.

No im fully aware of that i just wish x box had some more quirky games. I know its not a huge market but an odd ball game every now and then would make a niche group of people very happy. I just thing it would be awsome to see such odd games as katamri damcy (i cant spell that name for the life of me) or harvest moon. I cant tell you how disapointed i was the panzer and shenmue really went no where. I do get to look forward to metal slug 4and 5 which im sure will rock i just want to see more games like that. And now after all i have read putting soul up there was THE shittyest idea i have come up with ever for a title.

Edited by sega saturn x

842086[/snapback]

Thats real funny considering Ive enjoyed my XBOX more than any other console to date. Twenty plus years worth. Mainly because of the innovation that it has brought to the industry. It doesn't need any flare, it simply has to play games. Part of american culture, get the job done, and do it better, offer more. I also think you all don't truly understand the driving forces behind the console. Not simply a way to make money. I would imagine the concept of XNA would also be lost on many of you. I doubt you would understand the benefit of tools to speed the dev process. :roll:

MS is really doing a lot for the industry and pushing more than Nintendo and Sony combine at this point. After all, what did sony and nintendo bring to the console table that wasn't there before???? Name one thing??? An add on modem??? An add on HD??? Bongos... :roll: You can claim it has no soul, but it has done more to help the industry move forward in the last 4 years than anyone else. All Sony and Nintendo offered were extensions to previous titles, not new ways to play and enjoy games. Ignore it all you want, but future gaming will reflect many of the changes MS has made with the XBOX.... :D

No im fully aware of that i just wish x box had some more quirky games.  I know its not a huge market but an odd ball game every now and then would make a niche group of people very happy.  I just thing it would be awsome to see such odd games as katamri damcy (i cant spell that name for the life of me) or harvest moon.  I cant tell you how disapointed i was the panzer and shenmue really went no where.  I do get to look forward to metal slug 4and 5 which im sure will rock i just want to see more games like that.  And now after all i have read putting soul up there was THE shittyest idea i have come up with ever for a title.

842135[/snapback]

Like I said, go purchase / rent Phantom Dust, one of the few quriky games that is truly a classic. $20 gets 20+ hours of SP, and a FULL LIVE support to boot. Not to mention developed in house. Quite an acomplishment for MS...

The Ngage is like the xbox in that the big rich company behind it will just keep throwing money into it until the market lets them start to make a buck.

842112[/snapback]

Or that their product is in fact viable and quite innovatie to boot. ;)

I saw phantom dust for only 20 bucks im seriously considering it live is a mute point since i dont have it though.  But im always up for a good brawler im asuming its an action game right?

842275[/snapback]

Its a card game on steroids. No cards, but it plays like one only you control your characters actions. Hard to explain, but I hate card games, and still love this. Odd story line though. Rent it if you can find it.