IGNORED

America's VideoGame Expo Announced

Albert

vgXpo_header.gif

The PhillyClassic organizers have previously revealed their plans for a show this year, but new information has now come to light. They are organizing not one, but TWO shows this year, one to take place in Philadelphia (as expected) on November 12 and 13, and an earlier show in Dallas, Texas, to be held on August 20 and 21. The PhillyClassic crew have teamed up with NBC to create two events sharing a common name, America's VideoGame Expo, where they expect to attract over 50,000 attendees between the two shows. The newly renamed show, like previous PhillyClassics, caters to both classic and modern gamers, features free admission, and both shows will see a substantial increase in floor space from earlier PhillyClassic events. AtariAge will be present at both shows, and we look forward to seeing many of you there as well! More information about the shows will be posted soon, but you can get a head start by heading over to the America's VideoGame Expo website.

vgXpo_header.gif

The PhillyClassic organizers have previously revealed their plans for a show this year, but new information has now come to light.  They are organizing not one, but TWO shows this year, one to take place in Philadelphia (as expected) on November 12 and 13, and an earlier show in Dallas, Texas, to be held on August 20 and 21.  The PhillyClassic crew have teamed up with NBC to create two events sharing a common name, America's VideoGame Expo, where they expect to attract over 50,000 attendees between the two shows.  The newly renamed show, like previous PhillyClassics, caters to both classic and modern gamers, features free admission, and both shows will see a substantial increase in floor space from earlier PhillyClassic events.  AtariAge will be present at both shows, and we look forward to seeing many of you there as well!  More information about the shows will be posted soon, but you can get a head start by heading over to the America's VideoGame Expo website.

841884[/snapback]

I can see a trip to the States in the offing.......

Be nice to see who I communicate with

NIck

Whooooo Hooooooo!

A show in Dallas! Instead of having to drive four hours down to Austin for AGE, there's going to be a show 20 minutes away from me! This is going to be so sweet!

842972[/snapback]

I would have preferred a show in Austin, as now I have to drive three hours up to Dallas. :) Sadly, Dallas is better suited for shows of this scale, as it's a larger city (more people can attend without traveling), the Dallas Convention Center is larger (although the newly remodeled Austin Convention Center is close in size), there are more hotels, and it's definitely cheaper to fly into (DFW is a major hub). I have little doubt that this show will be very well attended, and I hope to see many AtariAge members during the event. :)

..Al

I will be going and setting up my goods for sale. I will close my store for a few days to attend and bring around 5000-8000 games for sale  :D  This might be my time to sell alot of my personal stash and make some money.

845106[/snapback]

Are you talking about the Dallas show or th Philly show? Given the closer proximity of the Dallas show to me, I will probably try to drag as much excess as I can to the show. And I have quite a bit of it. :) I think the show's demographics will work well for this, especially for people who put bundles together of entire systems. If I have the time, I will probably try to put together a slew of 2600 systems, controlles, cables and games togethe. Not a show goes by when I don't get asked by numerous people if I have Atari 2600 systems for sale. Whoever has them at these shows is going to clean up nicely!

..Al

I will be going and setting up my goods for sale. I will close my store for a few days to attend and bring around 5000-8000 games for sale  :D  This might be my time to sell alot of my personal stash and make some money.

845106[/snapback]

Are you talking about the Dallas show or th Philly show? Given the closer proximity of the Dallas show to me, I will probably try to drag as much excess as I can to the show. And I have quite a bit of it. :) I think the show's demographics will work well for this, especially for people who put bundles together of entire systems. If I have the time, I will probably try to put together a slew of 2600 systems, controlles, cables and games togethe. Not a show goes by when I don't get asked by numerous people if I have Atari 2600 systems for sale. Whoever has them at these shows is going to clean up nicely!

..Al

845130[/snapback]

This is a great point Al. My past experiences at the tech fests have shown that there are a LOT of would be classic game enthusiasts out there but most of them don't know about what we do, how to get into it and how much it will cost. You can't really expect to sell a homebrew cart to someone who doesn't have the system in the first place so bundling systems with games is key.

You can ask Curt Vendel, Mike Stulir and Ed Fleming what the reaction was to our old consoles that we set up in the previous two years, it was usually a parent and offspring, they would stand back, point at the TV, talk to each other, slowly approach it, ask if they could play [of course you can play!!] and then they would walk down memory lane on an Atari, Intellivision or NES and the parent would usually say to the child: "this was MY first videogame!" usually the parent would play for a bit and then the kid would pick it up and play it for the first time ever. You'd be surprised at how many kids took to the Atari and the NES over the newer games that we had on display, and as far as college age people go, the NES is king and Duck Hunt and SMB are the most popular games I bring out to my college plugandplay shows.

Arcade cabinets will sell too, so if you have been debating to bring yours out, or you really want to unload it, bring it down and watch someone snap it up by the end of the weekend. Quarter Arcade sold 3 of their machines in the first 3 hours of our very first Tech Fest.

Its hard for many of us to remember our first reaction to finding out about the classic gaming scene and what a rush it was to play a game we hadn't played in years on an emulator [not to mention finding out that emulators existed in the first place] but it is a very powerful emotion to be sure and there are a gazillion would-be classic gamers out there, all you have to do is educate them and give them a good bargain on a bundled system and they'll be off an running and returning to you as online customers in the future.

-mw

I'll personally be looking for other less established game consoles there, like an Emerson Arcadia. I'd like to play one in person, and maybe even buy one!

Hey, Ruddygore, that avatar picture sends an ice cold chill down my spine........

Ya know, I wanted to attend the Austin Gaming Expo after seeing all the pictures of the first show. But it was about the same time as CGE, and I hoped the AGE organizers would not make the next show so close to the Classic Gaming Expo as I can't get vacation time for both in one month.

Now it's turned into a bigger show, and what happens? They scheduled it for the same weekend as the Classic Gaming Expo! Why did they do that?! :? Why do they have bad timing?! :x (I hope it's not the childish binkering between classic gaming factions...) :(

Looks like another Texas show I have to skip... :(

Ya know, I wanted to attend the Austin Gaming Expo after seeing all the pictures of the first show.  But it was about the same time as CGE, and I hoped the AGE organizers would not make the next show so close to the Classic Gaming Expo as I can't get vacation time for both in one month.

Now it's turned into a bigger show, and what happens?  They scheduled it for the same weekend as the Classic Gaming Expo!  Why did they do that?!  :?  Why do they have bad timing?! :x (I hope it's not the childish binkering between classic gaming factions...) :( 

Looks like another Texas show I have to skip...  :(

846193[/snapback]

This show has nothing to do with AGE. :?

Ya know, I wanted to attend the Austin Gaming Expo after seeing all the pictures of the first show.  But it was about the same time as CGE, and I hoped the AGE organizers would not make the next show so close to the Classic Gaming Expo as I can't get vacation time for both in one month.

Now it's turned into a bigger show, and what happens?  They scheduled it for the same weekend as the Classic Gaming Expo!  Why did they do that?!  :?  Why do they have bad timing?! :x (I hope it's not the childish binkering between classic gaming factions...) :( 

Looks like another Texas show I have to skip...  :(

846193[/snapback]

Just for clarification, the two vgXpo shows have nothing to do with the Austin Gaming Expo, in terms of organizers (of which I was one) or otherwise. The vgXpo shows are being organized by the folks who put on the PhillyClassic in the past. As for the dates of the shows, NBC set them when they organized their "Tech Expos" in several cities this year, including Dallas. The two vgXpo shows are part of the larger NBC Tech Expos taking place in these cities, and these dates were neither set nor influenced by the vgXpo organizers. The Tech Expos are fairly large (I think the one in Philly is about 100,000 sq. ft.?) and the vgXpo portion of the show plays a smaller (but still significant) role. I think ruddygore (one of the vgXpo organizers) mentioned in an earlier thread that the Philly vgXpo will occupy about 40,000 sq. ft., which is considerably larger than past PhillyClassic events.

..Al

Hey, Ruddygore, that avatar picture sends an ice cold chill down my spine........

845752[/snapback]

Eeeexcellent! [Tor sing good]

They scheduled it for the same weekend as the Classic Gaming Expo!   Why did they do that?!  :?  Why do they have bad timing?! :x (I hope it's not the childish binkering between classic gaming factions...) :(  

846193[/snapback]

The answer is simple, boring and not laced with any soap opera style drama... we were offered the opportunity to do the show in Dallas and given the dates. We had no control over the timing and in fact, up until a very short time prior to the announcement of the dallas show, we were under the impression it would be in October or something. They switched up on us and we had to make a decision to put up or shut up. We're not known for shutting up so we went for it :) The scheduling of ANY other show was NOT a factor in our decision process.

Just for clarification, the two vgXpo shows have nothing to do with the Austin Gaming Expo, in terms of organizers (of which I was one) or otherwise.  ..Al

846208[/snapback]

Al is conveniently and cleverly leaving out the fact that I won his ass in a poker game. I actually OWN his ass...

it's true!!

-mark wolfe

Edited by Ruddygore

The Mrs. and I are defnitely planning to attend. :thumbsup:

846082[/snapback]

Great news! Which show, the Dallas or Philly one? I'm guessing Dallas, since you seemed pretty adamant earlier against going to Philly in an earlier discussion about PhillyClassic.

..Al

846175[/snapback]

Sorry, I mean Dallas. As much as I'd love to be in Philly the schedule conflicts and the time of year it is will not permit it. However Dallas is A-OK - right day, right time, right time of year, the whole ball of wax. We'll be happy to attend.

What's up with this weird law that you can only fly into Dallas from certain states?

I know that Southwest Airlines had some restrictions on which routes they could fly. I visited my brother in Arizona about a decade ago, but they didn't fly a direct path between Dallas and Phoenix. I had to change planes in El Paso, and on the return trip, Oklahoma City.

Edited by SteveW

I know that Southwest Airlines had some restrictions on which routes they could fly. I visited my brother in Arizona about a decade ago, but they didn't fly a direct path between Dallas and Phoenix. I had to change planes in El Paso, and on the return trip, Oklahoma City.

Restrictions? I thought changing planes was the norm with SWA, and direct routes of any distance are the exception. Back in the '80s, a pointy-headed boss where I worked took SWA from San Antonio to Flint, Michigan. He was clueless enough about SWA that when he got back, he actually complained about having to change planes half a dozen times.

SWA considers their main competition to be Greyhound. That should be all you need to know.