IGNORED

America's VideoGame Expo Announced

Albert

Ya know, I wanted to attend the Austin Gaming Expo after seeing all the pictures of the first show.  But it was about the same time as CGE, and I hoped the AGE organizers would not make the next show so close to the Classic Gaming Expo as I can't get vacation time for both in one month.

Now it's turned into a bigger show, and what happens?  They scheduled it for the same weekend as the Classic Gaming Expo!   Why did they do that?!  :?  Why do they have bad timing?! :x (I hope it's not the childish binkering between classic gaming factions...) :(  

Looks like another Texas show I have to skip...   :(

846193[/snapback]

Just for clarification, the two vgXpo shows have nothing to do with the Austin Gaming Expo, in terms of organizers (of which I was one) or otherwise. The vgXpo shows are being organized by the folks who put on the PhillyClassic in the past. As for the dates of the shows, NBC set them when they organized their "Tech Expos" in several cities this year, including Dallas. The two vgXpo shows are part of the larger NBC Tech Expos taking place in these cities, and these dates were neither set nor influenced by the vgXpo organizers. The Tech Expos are fairly large (I think the one in Philly is about 100,000 sq. ft.?) and the vgXpo portion of the show plays a smaller (but still significant) role. I think ruddygore (one of the vgXpo organizers) mentioned in an earlier thread that the Philly vgXpo will occupy about 40,000 sq. ft., which is considerably larger than past PhillyClassic events.

..Al

846208[/snapback]

Alright, when are we going to get NBC to schedule one in Seattle? Texas is to gawdam hot in the summer for us Nor'Westners (same problem we had with CGE in Vegas) and the east coast meet is too far into the year (holidays and such for me to travel). :?

The confilcting dates with CGE is very disturbing. I won't be able to make the VGExpo :(

Well, I know, the world doesn't revolve around me though. I can live with it :D

-Lee

• 2 weeks later...
The confilcting dates with CGE is very disturbing. I won't be able to make the VGExpo  :(

Ditto, regardless of the intentions or circumstances, having the VGE (TX) on the same weekend as CGExpo only serves to divide our community further. :(

Well, the Classic Game Expo is too far away for me to drive to, nevermind the fact that my jerk of a boss probably wouldn't let me off anyway, so having multiple events in different cities helps those of us who can't make it across the country for an expo. And having it 15 minutes away (okay, 45 minutes with standard Dallas traffic) makes it an easy choice as to which show I'll be going to. :D

The confilcting dates with CGE is very disturbing. I won't be able to make the VGExpo  :(

Ditto, regardless of the intentions or circumstances, having the VGE (TX) on the same weekend as CGExpo only serves to divide our community further. :(

852074[/snapback]

I'm sorry but I think that's just very negative and not very constructive. Perhaps if they were in the same state or even the same region, "maybe".

I guess I just don't see how MORE videogame shows is a "bad" thing.

I'm just happy that there's any shows around me at all.

I had to drive somewhere around four hours to get to the Austin Game Expo 2003, and I managed to get there 5 minutes before it started. When I went to the Oklahoma Game Expo 2004, it took more than 5 hours to get there (mainly because I got lost), and the coworker that I went with started out really, really late. And since we were taking his car, I couldn't really get too upset about it. We were only there about three or four hours before the show closed down. But it was still serious fun.

When I go to the Oklahoma Videogame Expo this year, I'll be going alone (if I can get off work, that is) and I might end up getting a rental car for the trip, since my car's 9 years old, and it's due for a big breakdown at some point. And I don't want the breakdown to be in the long stretches of road between Dallas and Tulsa where there's absolutely nothing out there. But then, if I had a rental car, I wouldn't be able to afford a hotel room to stay overnight. I need to make a plan, considering that it's less than a month away!

• 1 month later...

So when is the vgXpo website for the Dallas event ever going to be updated? It's been two months, and I haven't seen any new information.

MMF and I already have our airline tickets, and now I need to book us a hotel room. The show is only a month away, and some of us do start planning early. I don't know anything about the city of Dallas, or what the nearest hotel would be to the convention center.

Would someone involved with the organization of the show please contact me - or at least put me touch with someone who can give me information about any hotels that are affiliated with the show and may be offering discounts? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my 1st BIG game show, and I'm going to Philly. Looking forward to spending $$ and seeing everyone there.

My plan is to upgrade and get boxed games, as I need both common and rare games boxed for my 2600. Also, I'll need games (boxed and whatever I need) for my other systems.

With out getting into detail, I need the following:

5200-12 games

Astrocade-18 games

Arcadia 2001-5 games

Odyssey 2-5 games

Intelly-16 games

APF-M1000- 8 games

Colecovision-MANY NEEDED

Vectrex-I only have homebrews and a multi-cart

With my room and transportation paid for, everything I save is mine, right now it's low 4 figures, and I plan on spending it all... :lolblue:

minorleagueguy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at the point where I gotta get a room RSN. (Somewhere in the Dallas area, I won't be too picky since I know my way around to the convention center.)

Is anyone from Austin interested in splitting a motel room (maybe even being a passenger Sat early morning/Sun evening, and maybe with one or two obligatory thrifting stops along the way), or anyone in Dallas willing to let me crash over at their place Sat night?

If I don't get any offers of crash space over the next day or two, I'll just reserve a cheap room somewhere over the web.

I was thinking of going, but I would be driving from San Diego and would need someone to go with me. The odds of that happening are slim, however, since I am putting no effort into finding anyone. If you've been thinking, "Gee, I'd love to ride in De's cool car for days and days," drop me a PM.

So when is the vgXpo website for the Dallas event ever going to be updated? It's been two months, and I haven't seen any new information.

MMF and I already have our airline tickets, and now I need to book us a hotel room. The show is only a month away, and some of us do start planning early. I don't know anything about the city of Dallas, or what the nearest hotel would be to the convention center.

Would someone involved with the organization of the show please contact me - or at least put me touch with someone who can give me information about any hotels that are affiliated with the show and may be offering discounts? Thanks.

887953[/snapback]

Where did you guys end up getting a room? My whole family and I are staying at the Sheridan, which is about 3 miles away (near the Galleria).

Restrictions?  I thought changing planes was the norm with SWA, and direct routes of any distance are the exception.

846328[/snapback]

There's more to it than that in the case of the Dallas Airport (Love Field). When DFW was built, some lobbyists argued that it would be a bad idea to continue to allow unrestricted traffic to Love Field since if people could fly there they might not use DFW. Consequently, congresscritter Jim Wright sponsored an amendment to an appropriations bill which forbids any passenger from flying between DAL and any other airport which is not in Texas or an adjoining state, even via connecting flight. Some travel agents can jinx things by creating two separate reservations, but the passenger must claim and recheck bags at the connecting airport, and risks being stuck at the connection airport of the first flight doesn't arrive in time to catch the second.

Has there been any word on who/when speakers will be speaking?

It's going to be a crazy weekend for me. My 10th wedding anniversary is the Friday before, and my birthday is the following Monday, so we're cramming a quick trip to Dallas in the middle. I know I'll be there Saturday for sure for a few hours, and maybe a couple of hours Sunday morning depending on the fam's schedule.

We are staying at the Holiday inn select in the love field airport on Mockingbird lane. I think it was very close to the show also. I just booked it friday and it was $69 night plus $15% tax for a friday and sat night stay.

I rented a cargo van for this trip and I still dont thinkI will have enough room for all the stuff packed up for the show. If you saw me at the Oklahoma show that was about half of what I am bringing to the VGexpo in Dallas. Lets hope the show goes good!

Okay, I finally got around to getting a room reservation. Since I know my way around Dallas, I went for something down at 67 and I-20. There's a Motel 6 down there for $32/night+tax, it's right by a shopping mall, and I know where some nearby thrift stores are, too.

So I'm paying half what the rest of you guys are paying! :-P

Of course I'm not bringing a ton of stuff to sell either, but I do need to see about making a dozen or so copies of Redbox/Bluebox to trade.