IGNORED

Weird XONOX double label vs. I got screwed

Pant Load

So I win this auction for the Chuck Norris / Ghost Manor game:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8184463813

When I get the games, I find that the only XONOX game I've been sent is a rather beat (a way more common) Spike's Peak / Ghost Manor with major screw holes. Digging through the box, I also find just the LABEL for Chuck/Ghost:

chuck-ghost.jpg

First thing I think is that I remembered there was a rip in the box the games were mailing in, and maybe someone reached in and pulled the Chuck/Ghost out of the hole in the box, and in the process, the label came off. But no.

Then decide that this is the eBay seller's fault, and prepare to jump ugly that the only decent game in the lot has been left out (actually, was going to first ask if the noticed any odd shaped, label-less Atari games laying about their house).

Before the ugly jumping, I decide to check the listing again, and indeed see only one XONOX game in the picture, and its the Chuck/Ghost - and there's no listing for Spike's Peak in the auction description.

Then notice that there's some glue residue on the beat-up Spike/Ghost game label.

So I check the game, and it is infact a Chuck/Ghost.

So it seems like someone took a Spike/Ghost game, unscrewed it and opened, took out the Spike Peak chip, replaced it with a Chuck Norris chip, put it back together, and glued a Chuck/Ghost label on it.

I guess there's like a 90% chance that someone, I guess, was trying to improve a Spike/Ghost game, or they had a broken Chuck/Ghost and saved it by opening a Spike/Ghost, putting in the Chuck chip, steaming off the Chuck/Ghost label, and putting it on this new converted game. I don't think it was the eBay seller - she seems to sell mostly young kids toys and such.

But here's the point, and my question: has anyone heard of XONOX... like... reconditioning or reconverting their own games? Is there any chance that this was done by XONOX? I ask because this seems like a lot of work to go through. Plus, XONOX games, especially the double-enders - at least the ones I have - the labels are on there pretty good. They are not like Parker Bros games where the labels are practically falling off. I've never steamed off a video game label, so I don't know how easy or how well it would work. I do know that if I tried to pull the labels off the XONOX games I do own, the labels would rip long before they peeled off.

This Chuck/Ghost game has been a real pain to find, and I guess I'm grasping at straws that I really just didn't buy some kind of abomination Frankenstein-like game.

Most likely a customer return because of the fact that Artillery Duel (90% of them) was programmed with a weird amount of scanlines and rolls on most TV's. They were probably getting tired of it and ended up replacing the AD with GM. I've seen many XONOX carts with 2 labels. I should know, I have recycled at least 50 of them. :ponder:

Most likely a customer return because of the fact that Artillery Duel (90% of them) was programmed with a weird amount of scanlines and rolls on most TV's. They were probably getting tired of it and ended up replacing the AD with GM. I've seen many XONOX carts with 2 labels. I should know, I have recycled at least 50 of them.  :ponder:

842353[/snapback]

Although this isn't an AD game, you're saying this was a customer return, sent back to XONOX, and it was XONOX who converted it to a Chuck/Ghost? As such, it's legit?

Most likely a customer return because of the fact that Artillery Duel (90% of them) was programmed with a weird amount of scanlines and rolls on most TV's. They were probably getting tired of it and ended up replacing the AD with GM. I've seen many XONOX carts with 2 labels. I should know, I have recycled at least 50 of them.  :ponder:

842353[/snapback]

Although this isn't an AD game, you're saying this was a customer return, sent back to XONOX, and it was XONOX who converted it to a Chuck/Ghost? As such, it's legit?

842360[/snapback]

LOL, you're right, wasn't paying attention. But yes, I am certain that this was done by XONOX as I have seen it many times with different double enders.

842353[/snapback]

842360[/snapback]

LOL, you're right, wasn't paying attention. But yes, I am certain that this was done by XONOX as I have seen it many times with different double enders.

842362[/snapback]

Word up! Thanks

842353[/snapback]

Hello CPUWIZ!

So that Artillery Duel rolling on TV issue is common??? I was going through all my 2600 games I got, and noticed that Artillery Duel was rolling like crazy, while Chuck Norris on the other end was fine... So I was pretty bummed, thinking the game had lost it over the years and was now defective...

In my for-sale list, I wrote it was broken... I don't have another TV at home to check it on, I'll try to bring it to work and see!

Thanks for the info :)

Geoff

So that Artillery Duel rolling on TV issue is common???

Yes, I have a stack of about 9 of them right in front of me, they all roll! I have one that does not. Also, I have opened so many of them by now that I can tell you with certainty , that a lot of them actually say PAL on the PCB itself. Whilst the other PCB in the same cart says NTSC. So much for Q.C. on XONOX carts. :roll:

Some XONOX double end labels fall off by themselves. I got my first XONOX double ender from a thrift shop for free about five years ago because it didn't have a label. I found the label in perfect condition in another box in the same thrift shop , just like the Parker Brothers labels that come off by themselves. The thrift shop gave me the label free also. It was only a common double ender, but free is good.

I haven't seen a Colecovision Xonox cart displaying the same symptoms though...

Happens quite frequently with the single-enders (loose labels, adhesive bleed). XonoX = cheap.

Can't say as I've ever seen a ColecoVision double-ender exhibit the same symptoms.

I haven't seen a Colecovision Xonox cart displaying the same symptoms though...

842496[/snapback]

I found a Slurpy single-ender cart once, it was completely label less.

842503[/snapback]

I have a ColecoVision Slurpy single-ender cart that is label less. I didn't know why this would be but now I know. :)

I wrote the name on mine with whiteout. Sold it on ebay I think. I had Sir Lancelot single-ender too, it did have label though. Both were auctioned off a few years back.

It really sucks finding a rarity with a damaged or missing label. :(

Only good thing was it was one of around 50 or so carts I picked up for $20 (at least 35-40 of which were CV)

Apollo labels suffer the same fate. I've seen these without labels, & I think I even have one in my collection now with a loose label.

I once had two copies of Infiltrate, one with main label no end label, & one just the opposite, with only the end label. They were however variations too, one was the blue label, the other was the brownish. So a swap would not have made much difference.

I've passed up a few over the years without labels.. Maybe one was a Lockjaw or Guardian.

Parker Bros is another which is probably worlds worst on loose missing labels. Luckily with PB, all loose carts mysteriously turn into Frogger/Q*bert once the label comes off. :)