IGNORED

will Flashback raise or lower value of collection?

I was just thinking, with an authentic toy like the Flashback v. 2.0 coming out,

will that increase the value of the original carts/systems or will it make them more

obsolete since people with a passing interest in retro gaming can buy one

of these toys and get the full experience for alot less hassle (and better quality

video out of the box)then searching ebay for a 2600 and carts. Of course it

won't effect the die hards... just wondering what everybody here thinks?

I know that a lot of people dislike or hate the Flashback. I personally don't have an interest in it but I had hoped that the Flashback would have brought more interest in not just the Atari systems but all classic systems. I haven't really seen it though. For a long time I kept seeing new collectors but lately I would say that I have seen less interest in the classic gaming hobby. Maybe it is Atari killing some homebrews. I see more people leaving this hobby of late than new people.

I don't see it having any effect at all. Its apples and oranges. At the most it may get more people more involved in the collecting aspect and collection values will see a bit of a rise.

But I don't think Flashback really impacts the classic community at all.

I don't think the Flashback will have any effect either. The Flashback is very different than collecting. People buy a Flashback 'cos it's a quick and convenient way to plug in one unit and get a bunch of classic games -- no muss, no fuss. The primary demographic likely has no interest in being a collector and may not even be aware that such a scene exists; they just want to wax a bit of nostalgic with some all-in-one retro-styled hardware. When they're done with it they can tuck it away in their entertainment center or wherever. Not exactly something most of us can do with our collections. ;-)

I am wondering this also.

I offer a very nice Atari 2600 system in perfect shape with 24 common games 2 joysticks and a set of paddles for $69.95 at my store and will offer it at all the shows I will attend this summer. Now I sold this same set up at Philly last year for $100. So I really want want to know if I have both my set up and the flash back side by side and the flash Back is under $40 I would think it would hurt my real 2600 selling point?

I was worried as well when I heard about the Flashback 2.0. On the one hand I was pleased because it seems that Infogrames had done it right, the VCS mini replica looked nice, the joysticks are real and detachable, and the games are based on real 2600 hardware, so it will not only look but play like the real thing. But for me personally it won't change a thing. My 2600 has been in the family since it was released, and I plan on keeping it that way. Although I haven't bought a new 2600 game in over 8 years, I plan to start to, and the major push has been this board. I realized that the 2600 is not dead and buried, and with new homebrews and peripherals coming out, it makes it all the more exciting to collect for. I can't wait to get in on all the action.

But I agree, they're targetting a different demographic. Most of the people who will buy it are people who once owned a 2600 and want to relive their memories every once in a while, odds are those people wouldn't bother tracking down the original hardware.

No matter what we'll still be here.

The thing is, although it's technically real hardware and it is rather like having a mini-2600 without the cartridges -- well, that's sort of the point. No cartridges. No boxes, no manuals, no thrill of the hunt or triumph of the score. Part of the fun of collecting the real thing is having the real cartridge -- the real box, the real manual (if you collect them) and perhaps more importantly, the original material. Not a remake or a clone. A real piece of hardware with the real carts made by the original companies. It's all part and parcel of the whole nostalgia trip. It's all fine and well to buy a Flashback and play the classics on technically modern hardware, but although the Flashback 2 features a real Atari-on-a-Chip and replica hardware (miniaturized in the console's case), the overall experience still doesn't amount to much more than emulation; you cna play them, they're the original ROMs, but they're really only that. A good emulator, a CX40 and a Stelladaptor and you've pretty much got the same thing, only with as many ROMs as you like.

I'll still take the real thing over a Flashback, and I'm pretty sure most of the rest of us here would do the same because that's what it's all about to us. But we're not who the Flashback is really aimed at; that demographic probably isn't even interested in our hobby. Oh, I'm sure it'll inspire more than a few people to take up the hobby, but if anything that would be a good thing when it comes to the value of one's Atari stuff. It's more people who want in on some of it.

I don't see it hurting sales of Atari 2600 systems, I for one collect, not for the money value, but because I loved the 2600 as a kid and now love having it and other Atari items I never had. I will buy the new Flashback 2.0 to see how it plays, but with only 40 games inside it, It won't be taking the place of my Heavy Sixer and his 450 cartridge buddies any time soon.

:ponder: :love: :roll:

hardware (miniaturized in the console's case), the overall experience still doesn't amount to much more than emulation; you cna play them, they're the original ROMs, but they're really only that.  A good emulator, a CX40 and a Stelladaptor and you've pretty much got the same thing, only with as many ROMs as you like.

Even I'm not that much of a purist. A PC Atari emulator is not the real thing because the way it talks to the screen and generates audio is still not 100% authentic. It's not outputting an NTSC (or PAL) display. The sound is still usually off or has occasional pops or clicks depending on CPU load and the quality of your audio hardware. Even with a Stelladapter you can't use all controller types.

The Flashback 2 will be able to do absolutely everything that a real 2600 can do (assuming it also has an internal color/bw switch header, that's the only thing I don't know about). It will hook up to a real TV without a scan converter. Hook a cart port and you can run wild demos on it that screw around with the TV frame that only confuse emulators. You can hook up weird controllers (like my footpedal hack for the driving controller, or a light gun, or a VecVox) and it will work.

It's not a software emulation. If it was a brute-force software emulation the thing would have to be a lot more expensive and generate a lot more heat.

Not only that, but Atari actually commissioned new game titles for this thing. I don't know how good they are, but do you know how wild that is that they would go to that much effort instead of just packaging the same titles we've seen already on FB 1 and the 80 in 1 emulation?

And to top it off, the packaging (except from the fuji logo) actually looks like authentic 70s Atari Inc.

If that's not good enough for you I don't know what else they could do.

It is going to dramatically decrease the value of your collection.

Everything is going to plummet in price. Nobody will want anything.

Especially rare games like Crazy Climber. It'll be virtually worthless.

So, to save you the inevitable despair, if any one has one (complete in box) I'll be happy to give you $5 for it now, so you'll at least get something for it.

Just doin' my part for the greater good of the community. :roll:

Edited by Nathan Strum

So, to save you the inevitable despair, if any one has one (complete in box) I'll be happy to give you $5 for it now, so you'll at least get something for it.

Crap, I just gave my entire collection to the Salvation Army, you mean I would have gotten some money back for it? Now that the Flashback 2.0 is coming out. :?

Sheeez, Nathan is right!

In fact I heard that Albert will be posting the new rating figures this coming weekend on games, so I want to do everyone who's got boxed Quadruns, Crazy Climbers and Silver boxed Gravitars a big favor, I will pay $5 each for them before the new ratings come out and they are dropped to a -5 value and you have to actually start paying people to take them, so get those games over to me quickly, I want to help ;-)

Curt

It is going to dramatically decrease the value of your collection.

Everything is going to plummet in price. Nobody will want anything.

Especially rare games like Crazy Climber. It'll be virtually worthless.

Just doin' my part for the greater good of the community. :roll:

849040[/snapback]

I don't think the Flashback 2 will have any effect on the collectible price of games.

Heck, you can download Quadrun from this very site for nothing, still doesn't alter it's value.

In fact I heard that Albert will be posting the new rating figures this coming weekend on games

I have seen the revised version, it's painful. :skull:

849078[/snapback]

HA! I know that's a fake, when was the last time the Rarity guide was updated... :ponder: ;)

:D

I think if it's successful it will increase awareness of Atari 2600 collecting (and AtariAge itself), and will maintain or raise the value of our collections.

However, I must be wrong, since Albert is selling off a bunch of Atari 2600 stuff on eBay this week :ponder: ;)

In fact I heard that Albert will be posting the new rating figures this coming weekend on games

I have seen the revised version, it's painful. :skull:

849078[/snapback]

HA! I know that's a fake, when was the last time the Rarity guide was updated... :ponder: ;)

:D

849154[/snapback]

I don't think it will lower the value of the original games. One thing that this system does not do that a real Atari does is play EVERY 2600 game. People who get these flashback units will still want to play some of their other 2600 favorites from Activision, Imagic, etc.

Also, Activision has been releasing software for years of all their old 2600 games and I haven't seen those games decrease in value.

I am wondering this also.

I offer a very nice Atari 2600 system in perfect shape with 24 common games 2 joysticks and a set of paddles for $69.95 at my store and will offer it at all the shows I will attend this summer. Now I sold this same set up at Philly last year for $100. So I really want want to know if I have both my set up  and the flash back side by side and the flash Back is under $40 I would think it would hurt my real 2600 selling point?

848815[/snapback]

When Nintendo reissued all those classics from the NES era for their Gameboy line, did it hurt your Nintendo sales? If so, by how much. As a dealer of classic games, you'd probably have the most accurate projections about what impact, if any, Plug and Plays have had on the used game market. It might make for an interesting article for your next issue of VGC.

I see little effect on it. I buy Atari 2600 carts AND I'll buy the Flashback unit. The only positive thing I see is some people will buy the Flashback for convience and then later decide they like some of the games and want to see more from the old system. They might go buy some stuff on eBay or something.