IGNORED

NIB NTSC Ikari Warriors & Motorodeo For Sale!

Tempest

Atari 2600 collectors rejoice! For I may have stumbled across a once in a lifetime find.

As we all know, completing an NTSC 2600 collection is Herculean task. Not only do you have all those hard to find 3rd party carts, but our old pals at Atari decided to throw us a few hard to find carts as well. If you were to name the hardest Atari corp. carts to find what would come up on the top of your list? Crazy Climber? SwordQuest: WaterWorld? Quadrun? Yes these are all hard to find, but they do pop up on ebay quite often. However, when is the last time you saw a boxed NTSC Ikari Warriors or Motorodeo on ebay? Personally I've only seen 3 in my years of collecting, and they all went for crazy amounts of money.

So where am I going with all of this? Well, I have in my hot little hands seven brand new still shrink-wrapped minty copies of Ikari Warriors and Motorodeo in NTSC format. So how do I know these are NTSC? Simple, I opened once copy of each up and tested them myself. These carts came from a vendor in South America who somehow managed to store away a small amount of these games back in the early 90's. How they remained hidden all these years is anyone's guess, but I can guarantee that these are last of them. There aren't anymore where these came from.

Just to clear things up, these are not my games. I am selling these on behalf of a friend who is not as well known as I am in the Atari community and did not have access to an NTSC 2600. I was sent these games to verify that they are indeed NTSC and to personally vouch for their authenticity. Since I have the games in my possession and I will be the one sending them out, there should be no fear in bidding on these games. You will get what you pay for.

The asking price is $950 for the set (one Ikari Warriors, one Motorodeo). This is distinctly less than the current going rate, and much less than what I sold my copies for last year. At this time, he is only interested in selling them as a set, and will not break them up.

He will accept Paypal or a Western Union money transfer.

I can provide pictures upon request.

If interested, shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up.

Tempest

Here are some pictures, I just grabbed two randomly from the box.

Ikari Warriors Front

Ikari Warriors Back

Motorodeo Front

Motorodeo Back

852280[/snapback]

I would consider lowering the price. The PAL boxes for these releases are identical to the NTSC ones. Essentially, you are offering the NTSC cart only. I'd be interested if your supplier lowered his price some. I mean, c'mon this guy is looking to make $6,000 on something he may have a hundred copies of.

Here are some pictures, I just grabbed two randomly from the box.

Ikari Warriors Front

Ikari Warriors Back

Motorodeo Front

Motorodeo Back

852280[/snapback]

I would consider lowering the price. The PAL boxes for these releases are identical to the NTSC ones. Essentially, you are offering the NTSC cart only. I'd be interested if your supplier lowered his price some. I mean, c'mon this guy is looking to make $6,000 on something he may have a hundred copies of.

852330[/snapback]

You could really say the same about almost any NTSC game.

I think the sealed and shrinkwrapped boxes appeal to people.

He doesnt have hundreds, just the 7 (well 8, I got two myself). But if you don't believe him, then don't bid. Simple as that.

Tempest

Maybe I misuderstood but is this an auction? When you say "bid" you mean purchase right? :?

It's not that I don't believe him, it's just to much to risk that someone else won't "discover" more. We all knew this would happen sooner or later with these particular titles right?

Plus, there isn't any appeal for me to having a shrinkwrapped game that is a fairly common PAL title. NO ONE will ever believe you that it's NTSC if you keep it sealed! Just look at all the speculation when one hits ebay. Even you yourself doubted this to be true and had to open them up...

Another thing is the fact that Ikari Warriors is only a rarity 9 on atariage and an 8 on digital press. I would say you are over estimating the value of Ikari by forcing people to purchase both when one isn't worth as much as the other.

If anyone buys me the package, I'd throw a $500-$700 trade your way (what arcade title(s) you want?) but who the hell would be dumb enought to do that?

Where do you draw the line with the find? If I offered up 7 sealed copies of Mangia and Bumper Bash each, how many would offer me $1,000 for the set?

Maybe I misuderstood but is this an auction?  When you say "bid" you mean purchase right?  :?

It's not that I don't believe him, it's just to much to risk that someone else won't "discover" more.  We all knew this would happen sooner or later with these particular titles right?

Plus, there isn't any appeal for me to having a shrinkwrapped game that is a fairly common PAL title.  NO ONE will ever believe you that it's NTSC if you keep it sealed!  Just look at all the speculation when one hits ebay.  Even you yourself doubted this to be true and had to open them up...

Another thing is the fact that Ikari Warriors is only a rarity 9 on atariage and an 8 on digital press.  I would say you are over estimating the value of Ikari by forcing people to purchase both when one isn't worth as much as the other.

If anyone buys me the package, I'd throw a $500-$700 trade your way (what arcade title(s) you want?) but who the hell would be dumb enought to do that?

Where do you draw the line with the find?  If I offered up 7 sealed copies of Mangia and Bumper Bash each, how many would offer me $1,000 for the set?

852545[/snapback]

Well, when the 3DO died, Casper was pretty much the last game released in the US. For years it went for 50-150 on Ebay since there were supposedly no copies around. Then some people opened up a few warehouses and Casper flooded Ebay like a typhoon. It didn't go for more than 10-15 after that on a good day. So, if 7 copies or sets or whatever pop up, another set on Ebay... I'll wait for the storage bin to be found, like with the Cosmic Commanders, Mythicon and Starplex controllers of late. Cause if one single person has that many copies, then there are far far more stored away somewhere. Just do what I do, wait and then smile when you find your copy for 5-10 bucks. Never fails for me, ever.

Also, do the auctions here selling selaed copies of the same games look familiar?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...8190209791&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...8190196658&rd=1

I was curious if this is the same selller?

852550[/snapback]

Nope not the same guy. However these all came from the same source. This guy got a few of them (3-5 or so), while my friend got all the rest (the other 8 ).

I suppose it is possible that another large cache of these could be found in the future. I know I put off getting them for just that reason. However it has been 15 years since the games were made, how long do you want to wait? I suppose its a gamble, just like any other collectable purchase.

Tempest

No offense, but just because you opened 2 does not automatically make all the others NTSC. A friend of mine once bought a case of sealed Xenophobes that were originally intended for the US market. Out of the case, only 1 of them ended up being NTSC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For 99% of Atari games, being sealed adds about 30% to their value. When it comes to NTSC Asterix, Ikari Warriors, Motorodeo, Xenophobe or any other game that you can get for substantially less as a PAL title (assuming there is no difference in the appearance of the box which there isn't in both of the instances you're selling on behalf of a friend), you can pretty much take away about 50% of the boxed value if it is sealed since as has already been said, no one will believe you that it is NTSC.

No offense, but just because you opened 2 does not automatically make all the others NTSC.  A friend of mine once bought a case of sealed Xenophobes that were originally intended for the US market.  Out of the case, only 1 of them ended up being NTSC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  For 99% of Atari games, being sealed adds about 30% to their value.  When it comes to NTSC Asterix, Ikari Warriors, Motorodeo, Xenophobe or any other game that you can get for substantially less as a PAL title (assuming there is no difference in the appearance of the box which there isn't in both of the instances you're selling on behalf of a friend), you can pretty much take away about 50% of the boxed value if it is sealed since as has already been said, no one will believe you that it is NTSC.

852593[/snapback]

Well let's look at the facts.

1. They all came from the same source, so the odds that some ex-dealer got a mixture of PAL and NTSC carts in a NTSC market (well PAL-M, but thats closer to NTSC than PAL) is highly unlikely.

2. I opened two at random and they were NTSC.

3. Another person got a few from the same source, and they appear to be NTSC (I think this has been verified now hasn't it?)

Yes I suppose that there's a small chance that there could be a PAL version mixed in there. I've offered to test them before sending them out, but so far everyone has said "No, don't open them!". If I can't open them to test them, then there's no way I can 100% verify they're NTSC. But your argument that since I can't 100% verify they're NTSC I should sell them for less is ludicrous, since the people that are buying them are the same people who won't let me open them up.

Quite frankly, I don't care if you believe me or not. If you don't think they're NTSC, then don't buy. Simple as that.

Tempest

I think its a great find! All look to be in great shape. Its a gamble for people to pay this much due to the fact that more will be found in the future. If I had a spare $1000 around I would grab them due to how hard they are to find. And I would love them for my collection. I have them boxed Pal and all they do is sit around for looks so I am happy for now. Even if more are found the value will still be up but my guess is they would fall around the $300 each range opened "NTSC".

You do have enough in your hands to affect the market value of the 2 games and the recent Ebay auctions could lower the value of them. If they were in my hands I would open all of them and test them a test to make sure they were NTSC that would increase value IMO. If you still have them over the summer I might grab a set.

As much as I would like to own these, I'll pass.

My TV can play PAL games fine, I should just grab the PAL versions much cheaper.

We'll see but right now I have too many things sucking away my money to even consider purchasing these, unless I decide to sell my rares, but that would kind of defeat the purpose wouldn't it?

Besides, who wants sealed games? You can't play them...

Edited by keilbaca

But your argument that since I can't 100% verify they're NTSC I should sell them for less is ludicrous, since the people that are buying them are the same people who won't let me open them up.

Where did I say that? I stated that I feel their value does not hold if they are sealed. You could sell them for $5000 each for all I care. I already have NTSC Ikari Warriors and BMX Airmaster and am happy with my PAL Motorodeo.

Quite frankly, I don't care if you believe me or not.  If you don't think they're NTSC, then don't buy.  Simple as that. 

Again, I never said I didn't believe you. I was basically stating that if I bought a set then tried to sell them somewhere down the road, maybe I could get away with it by linking here, but what about the person who bought them from me? Who's going to believe them if they try and sell down the road. I guess you also missed the part where I prefaced what I said with the words NO OFFENSE. :roll:

I'm very curious to see how the price on this one is affected by this influx. One could assume that a few of these will be sold on eBay in the next few weeks/months. One might also assume that those who buy on tail end will pay less than than those who buy the first few copies. Thank God we have Cincinnatti on the ball keeping score.

Adam

This thread illustrates the US-centric nature of 2600 collecting.

I'm pretty sure that Tempest is right about these games being NTSC, just it's equally right that the NTSC and PAL boxes for these games are identical (AFAIK...).

It's surprising to me that many very rare PAL carts are sold so cheaply, even on ebay.

Several serious American collectors of 2600 games have very comprehensive PAL collections, but PAL stuff is mostly ignored and ridiculed.

I've read many posts from American collectors saying "I don't want a game that rolls on my TV," and the like. Now, if a game is sealed, and you keep it that way, you will never know whether it rolls or not. And if you don't buy PAL games, there are many titles that you will never have.

As far as the rolling issue goes, this also surprises me. On the eastern side of the Atlantic, most TVs are made by Japanese or south-east asian companies, with some european manufacturers too. Every one that's sold nowadays can display the output from a PAL console with an NTSC cart just fine. There may be timing issues, but the games can be played and enjoyed. I've played Crazy Climber and several NTSC-only titles with no problems (I've also run SQWW, but couldn't say that I'd played it, since it barely qualifies as a game).

Are there American manufacturers that still make 60Hz NTSC only TVs?

As I said, I believe that the games in question here are NTSC, and I think that it was a great find for those who only want NTSC games.

I also think that it's bizarre that NTSC Ikari Warriors is more desirable than, for example, HomeVision Tennis, or some of the Video Gems titles.

Still, I only really collect for the Atari 8-bit computers, where these problems are much less significant icon_smile.gif

I'll wait for the storage bin to be found, like with the Cosmic Commanders, Mythicon and Starplex controllers of late.

852551[/snapback]

I just bought a new Cosmic Commander, whats the story on it, thought it somewhat rare. Guess I didn't do I research.

It's surprising to me that many very rare PAL carts are sold so cheaply, even on ebay.

Several serious American collectors of 2600 games have very comprehensive PAL collections, but PAL stuff is mostly ignored and ridiculed.

Shhhh...wait until you, me and the other PAL collectors have complete collections first. :D

I just bought a new Cosmic Commander, whats the story on it, thought it somewhat rare. Guess I didn't do I research.

In a nutshell, an entire warehouse of them was found and the guy's been selling them off on Ebay a few at a time ever since.

I'll wait for the storage bin to be found, like with the Cosmic Commanders, Mythicon and Starplex controllers of late.

852551[/snapback]

853011[/snapback]

Well, it appears the guy selling them on Ebay found a storage bin of them. Bin being subjective. Could be a crate or a warehouse. Anyway, before that they seem to be pretty rare, complete in the box, etc. One point of rarity is the end label sticker that almost noone ever applied to the cart in the box. But for the price you got it at, I'd guess the same as I did last month, I think it's an EXCELLENT deal. Like the Starplex controllers and Mythicon games. All new in the box, never opened or displayed. You can't really beat that, what, some... 20+ years later.

Warehouses of these goodies still exist. They just have to be found. Someone's attic, the potato cellar, closed down stores, etc.

No offense, but just because you opened 2 does not automatically make all the others NTSC.  A friend of mine once bought a case of sealed Xenophobes that were originally intended for the US market.  Out of the case, only 1 of them ended up being NTSC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  For 99% of Atari games, being sealed adds about 30% to their value.  When it comes to NTSC Asterix, Ikari Warriors, Motorodeo, Xenophobe or any other game that you can get for substantially less as a PAL title (assuming there is no difference in the appearance of the box which there isn't in both of the instances you're selling on behalf of a friend), you can pretty much take away about 50% of the boxed value if it is sealed since as has already been said, no one will believe you that it is NTSC.

852593[/snapback]

I agree 100%. I'd be more willing to pay closer to $950 if they were both opened and confirmed NTSC rather than sealed and most likely NTSC. There's no way to know how many the other seller has as well.

I'll trade my loose NTSC BMX airmaster for two opened copies. :twisted: