IGNORED

Official XBOX 360 Information!

Neon, the new VLM software, included as part of the Xbox360's media centre...

854547[/snapback]

Cool. It's about frickin' time that the VLM made it into a widespread system! Guess I'll have to get an Xbox 360 then. :D

(Is it me, or is Minter's website extremely SLOW?)

854597[/snapback]

Argh. I was all set to not get this system for a long time. Then along comes a stupid must-have feature like VLM, and everything changes. I was the same way with PSP until I realized that Wipeout Pure was going to be good. Bah.

854597[/snapback]

That's because there's photos and downloadable video of Neon available.

Apparently the site's already taken 150k+ hits and 3GB of bandwidth today since going live :-o

Here comes what may seem like a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. The fact sheet said that Xbox 360 will be Wi-Fi ready. Does that mean it will be able to connect to my wireless network right out of the box, or will I need to buy an accessory? If it can connect right out of the box, then what does "video camera ready" mean?

Found an answer at Gamespot:

The rear of the system has a third USB 2.0 port, an Ethernet port, and a slot for a small, gum-packet-sized Wi-Fi adapter. At this time, the wireless adapter will be sold separately.
Edited by heavy-sixer

854597[/snapback]

That's because there's photos and downloadable video of Neon available.

Apparently the site's already taken 150k+ hits and 3GB of bandwidth today since going live :-o

854678[/snapback]

Right on to that! I'm downloading that 150mb video to check out.

And I 2nd Flomojos words about having to get a 360 now... haha... VLM rocks! :)

(and I don't have a NUON or JagCD anymore so... ) ... well... hello Xbox360... (please be cheap!) lol

Telltale sign the Xbox360 will fail: Jeff Minter has something on it  :P

(yes, that's a tongue in cheek gag to everyone who says he only supports niche or failed formats heh)

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk

854547[/snapback]

Do you write for Insert Credit? :)

Their first article is a big "XBox360 is doomed! Minter touched it!" thing.

http://www.insertcredit.com/

Telltale sign the Xbox360 will fail: Jeff Minter has something on it  :P

(yes, that's a tongue in cheek gag to everyone who says he only supports niche or failed formats heh)

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk

854547[/snapback]

Do you write for Insert Credit? :)

Their first article is a big "XBox360 is doomed! Minter touched it!" thing.

http://www.insertcredit.com/

854774[/snapback]

Oddly enough since Minter is in the 'box' , myself (including many others here now) will probably get one.

:)

Edited by Clint Thompson

The MTV thing sucked. They didn't answer:

When released?

How does that face plate thing work?

Backwards compatable?

Cost.

854709[/snapback]

watch this vid...

http://msxb.wmod.llnwd.net/a274/o2/ourcolo...ony_v1_750k.wmv

It shows very clearly the faceplate and answers a lot of other questions

Also on the question about backwards compatability, there was a survey commissioned by MS recently and it said that Xbox Live and Xbox 360 Live will work together - Whatever that means, but it could mean backwards compatability.

Also on the question about backwards compatability, there was a survey commissioned by MS recently and it said that Xbox Live and Xbox 360 Live will work together - Whatever that means, but it could mean backwards compatability.

855095[/snapback]

I read in the newspaper today that MS is having trouble getting permission to emulate the XBox components in the XBox 360.

I suspect this means the nVidia graphics chipset mainly, since they could just BUY a P3 emulator.

They've already bought a P3 emulator. They bought it about a year or two ago, called Virtual PC from Connectix. It lets you run PC software on a Mac (emulating an X86 processor on a Power PC). Now it makes sense to me why they bought it. They needed it to run Windows XP on the PowerPC cores in the new Xbox.

They've already bought a P3 emulator. They bought it about a year or two ago, called Virtual PC from Connectix. It lets you run PC software on a Mac (emulating an X86 processor on a Power PC). Now it makes sense to me why they bought it. They needed it to run Windows XP on the PowerPC cores in the new Xbox.

855251[/snapback]

XBox doesn't run Windows XP, though.

Or at least, nothing recognizable as such after so much trimming of excess features.

And I was under the impression that it was more to ease the transition from Windows 98 to XP.

Either way... I had forgotten they owned Virtual PC.

Edited by JB

MS does own Virtual PC. They sell quite a few variations for os x.

The XBox uses a trimmed down win2k kernel.

I don't think that MS will use Virtual PC to use their kernel on the PPC arcitecture with the new XBox. MS will compile it for the PPC architecture. If they used Virtual PC some other kernel would have to go behind it and I know they won't stick a BSD kernel on there like os x uses. MS would never do that. They will have a trimmed down win kernel running natively on the platform.

I am dissapointed by this announcement. My favorite console from the current gen is XBox followed by Gamecube. I will never own a PS2. I am still loving my XBox and there are great games still coming out on it. The thing that allowed MS to get to the position they are today in the console market was the fact that their system was the most powerful. There were games that could run on the XBox that simply could not be on the other consoles. Now they are going to release a new console while their current console is still going strong. It will be the weak out of the three next time around and the system will be struggling by the time another generation comes around. This is a bad move IMO. I will be reluctant to buy one until I see what the other players in the market have to show. This may be the move that sends me back to the side of Sony, where I was during the PS1 gen.

MS does own Virtual PC. They sell quite a few variations for os x.

The XBox uses a trimmed down win2k kernel.

I don't think that MS will use Virtual PC to use their kernel on the PPC arcitecture with the new XBox. MS will compile it for the PPC architecture. If they used Virtual PC some other kernel would have to go behind it and I know they won't stick a BSD kernel on there like os x uses. MS would never do that. They will have a trimmed down win kernel running natively on the platform.

Yes, but that won't get you XBox1 compatibility, unless the software plays VERY nicely.

Odds are very good that most of the stuff out there has to see XBox1 hardware to work.

Now they are going to release a new console while their current console is still going strong.

Which beats the heck out of waiting until they're being stomped as Nintendo did(twice).

It will be the weak out of the three next time around and the system will be struggling by the time another generation comes around.

I haven't seen anything to imply it will be weaker.

Nintendo's being their usual tight-lipped selves("It'll be revolutionary! And little too!" is the sum total of reliable information on their next system).

And Sony... has bragged that they're using a PowerPC with lots of floating-point units.

The closest that they've made to actual performance claims is saying that it's a supercomputer on a chip. Which is really meaningless.

Yes, but that won't get you XBox1 compatibility, unless the software plays VERY nicely.

I can agree with that. In that case alone something like virtual pc may be helpful. But it will be a win2k x86 kernel running on top of a ppc native win kernel (I am assuming xp, longhorn, 2k3, something along that line.)

Which beats the heck out of waiting until they're being stomped as Nintendo did(twice).

I understand getting the next console rolling while there is a little life left in the current one but the XBox has quite a bit of life left IMO. And even after the XBox 360 comes out how long do you think it will be before games will be released that are significantly more advanced then what the XBox is capable of now? Game development is taking longer and longer with the advances that are being seen. 5 years is not uncommon for a game using a new engine.

I haven't seen anything to imply it will be weaker.

The PS2 and the Dreamcast are comparable in performance. The XBox was released a year later and the XBox hardware simply smokes the PS2 hardware. I could see the same situation happening.

And Sony... has bragged that they're using a PowerPC with lots of floating-point units.

The closest that they've made to actual performance claims is saying that it's a supercomputer on a chip. Which is really meaningless.

855404[/snapback]

They have released some info about their cell processor which is enough to be impressive.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/585/585865p1.html?fromint=1

If the hardware they plan to use isn't as powerful as the XBox 360 hardware then Sony can simply up it. MS has released specs which was a good move with the first XBox when everything else was already out there but now I think it will be a bad move. Sony has plenty of time to adjust their specs and even see exactly what the XBox has going for it as it will be the first to the market.

In the end none of this will really matter. As we get higher and higher up in performance the differences in the console specs are making less and less difference.

The games are whats important. So far I am NOT impressed with the 360 specs but it doesn't matter for me anymore. As long as they promise to deliver on some exciting titles I'll be getting it. I also think Xbox live is fantastic and its only going to be better with the 360. Sony has a lot of catching up to do in that area but I think the PS3 is going to be pretty impressive in and of itself.

Nintendo is dead in my book, not that I don't like Nintendo but I just can't see them competing with zero percent of the online market share. I'll always like them but I have to be honest with myself, I just can't see it.

Now if Atarigrames could release a next-gen system with remakes of Combat by Bungie Studios and an ID software version of Haunted House.... :P

Nintendo is dead in my book, not that I don't like Nintendo but I just can't see them competing with zero percent of the online market share. I'll always like them but I have to be honest with myself, I just can't see it.

I forsee the DS doing well in the online arena as well as the next Gameboy if it goes online. Animal Crossing for the DS is going to be awesome, no denying that, plus Square has really applauded the DS being online. That could lead to some interesting stuff.

One reason the Xbox 360 won't do all that well is because they won't be able to grab the Japanese market. The Japanese don't like American games and consoles all that much. Nintendo and Sony are Japanese companies that'll get loads of support from Japanese developers, which will provide more software to fill out their libraries. And they also like tiny consoles. The 360 looks to only be a little smaller than the current Xbox.

I think it is going to be quite a bit smaller then the current XBox. If you have ever opened up an XBox you know why it is so big. With a full-size hdd and dvd-rom they made it as small as possible. Now, look at the size of the Mac Mini. There is nothing in that XBox that isn't in the Mac Mini. So, you have an idea of how small the consoles can get while still being full-featured.

One reason the Xbox 360 won't do all that well is because they won't be able to grab the Japanese market. The Japanese don't like American games and consoles all that much. Nintendo and Sony are Japanese companies that'll get loads of support from Japanese developers, which will provide more software to fill out their libraries. And they also like tiny consoles. The 360 looks to only be a little smaller than the current Xbox.

855508[/snapback]

Eeer that is not a problem anymore is it..... MS has already signed up some of the best talent from Japan for 360 developement.

I think the specs for Xbox360 are very high considering the price point and the fact that it is a games console only. Compare them to the current Xbox and it blows it away. I am very impressed with the spec and its much higher than I expected.

Edited by Clock

And they also like tiny consoles. The 360 looks to only be a little smaller than the current Xbox.

855508[/snapback]

How does slightly smaller than an original PS2 sound?

The disk door is the big giveaway in the no-scale shots, as the disk size is standard.

And the door is about half the system's length.

Equivalent on a PS2 would be if you cut off teh "stairstep" on the end.