IGNORED

Driving games, which one is your fave?

Osmeroid

I must say that I am addicted to driving games. There are quite a few (Enduro, Pole Position, Dodge 'Em, Fatal Run, Sprint Master, Night Driver etc.) I like all of these games but the one that really does it for me is Night Driver.

I adore using paddles for any game and ND is such as simple game upon first appearances. This is absolutely my most cherished driving game (Enduro does come a damn close second though, damn close!)

Any comments?

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

ENDURO!!!!! BABY all the way

I mean how can it not be a awesome game, it has light and sunny days, dark nights, snow and ice, and Fog, oh how i loved the fog

A true Atarian Lemmi. I did say that Enduro was the closest of seconds. I know what you mean about the fog tho!

Well, my ALL TIME favorite game is Out Run by Sega. But for Atari I think it would have to be Enduro. I really like the feel of cross country driving games. I have been playing Xonox Motorcross Racer. And thats a really fun game. if you're fortunate enough to own it, its soooo much more fun on the Atari than it is on an emulator. As for modern racing games. I hate almost all of them. You almost never feel like you are really driving. Especially the modern home platform games. The only exceptions would be the "Remote control car Simulators" those are pretty fun, like ReVolt, Team Losi R.C. Racing and for the old timers R.C. Pro Am. Those games you actually feel like you're driving an R.C. Car.

Without a doubt, Night Driver is my all time favorite Atari 2600 driving game. Much skill was required to score high in this game.

Pole Position was good, but I never liked the "instant death" style of gameplay where you'd blow up and lose time when you made the slightest contact with another car or a sign.

Well I have put my favorites in a list...

1. Enduro

2. Pole Position

3. Night Driver

My list might change as I continue to collect. I still don't own INDY 500 or many others. Of course if the new homebrew Death Derby counts as a Driving game, it may take over on my list-- I'll have to wait until the game is finished to see

I got tired of playing Enduro on the emulator, so I bought it from eBay. I got the game, along with the original box and instruction manual for $7.49 I have to wait until it arrives in the next few days, but everything appeared to be in really great condition.

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

I still haven't played Enduro so I'd have to say Pole Position for Atari

As for modern day, my all time favourite game is Ridge Racer type 4 (but only with the amazing Jogcon controller)

Someone get that man a Enduro cart

I like Enduro and Grand Prix a lot, particularly for their sense of speed. Night Driver is good too. Sprintmaster could have been great if it recognized driving controllers...

As far as other systems go, I like:

Super Cycle, Fast Tracks, Great American Cross Country Road Race [C64]

Test Drive 1&2, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 1&3 [Amiga]

Outrun, Super Sprint, Hard/Race Drivin' [arcade]

Virtua Racing [32x]

Rally Cross, Gran Turismo [PS1]

San Fransisco Rush, Beetle Adventure Racing [N64]

and Ridge Racer V[PS2]

Cheers,

legeek