IGNORED

worst sound effects

liquid_sky

Hey all... Well, perhaps this is sacrilige, but since it's my opinion, I HATED the "running" sound mario made in DK, UNTIL I saw the "Golden Shower" video. (NOT THAT KIND OF SHOWER). Hopefully you've all seen it by now. Now, I've grown to love and appreciate it. Off the top of my head, I think the sound of "Getting shot" in "Outlaw" really doesn't work. Past that tho', it's hard for me to say. I don't know, it just seems like all the sounds are just the way they are supposed to be - just right - like "Whiny Luke" at the beginning of EP 4... At least that's what I have to believe.... CAN'T CONTRADICT CHILDHOOD MEMORIES - ATARI IS PERFECT... BTW, the link to the "sneak and peek" remix doesn't work.

THe reason why you hear those same old Atari 2600 sound effects is that they were released on one of the major collections of sound effects used in the TV industry. Valentino published it if I remember correctly. Those sounds have been repackaged and resold a million times since then... I have them on some old FX records as well as on some more recent CD's. Lots of stuff from 2600 Pac-Man and 2600 Donkey Kong.

As a video editor I would feel that the bleepiness of those sounds is editing shorthand for "videogame" since current video games sound so lifelike and cinematic, it might be hard to establish that the people in the commercial aren't just watching a movie. Especially when you only have a few seconds to get across what they're doing.

It reminds me of when I was working on a film in college. The filmmakers shot a couple scenes of kids playing video games, even including gameplay as part of their dialog. The kids were playing a Nintendo game. Unfortunately the filmmakers didn't think to ask permission from Nintendo to show the game onscreen until after the film was shot.

Nintendo insisted on seeing the script, and after weeks of tying things up they said that they didnt like the script (I remember their rejection letter saying that the film was too downbeat and didn't maintain Nintendo's fun-loving outlook... or words to that effect).

In the end, I got in touch with a guy who wrote a game for the Amiga. He was thrilled to have us use his videogame in the film. We simply shot some footage of the Amiga game and edited it where we had previously shown the Nintendo. I think that I added a few of those Atari sound effects more as an "in" joke that anything else.

I can't be the only guy in the TV industry who think that those sounds are cool. :)

I am uploading the file to my site now. It's a hefty file at 28 megs, but it's the best copy of the video I have found. It should be up in another half hour at this link: Computer Video System

BTW the episode of the Simpsons in which Homer screamed "Ahhhh Cobras!" wasn't the night terror episode. It was the episode where the Judge Judy-type judge ordered that Homer and Bart be tethered together. Homer screamed it twice, the second time when Bart was playing baseball and hit the ball deep in the outfield. He was still tethered to Homer, and after rounding a couple of bases Homer was exhausted and Bart had to drag him to home plate. After a battered and beaten Homer asked for a hug, he collapsed into a sleep and screamed "Ahhhh Cobras!"

«Turnspike snatches the +1000 pts. and applies it to his current game of Double Dragon.»

Turnspike - thanks for putting the video out there for all to enjoy! (BTW - you actually hear "AHHH COBRAS!" 3 times... The two you said, and the third right at the end of the credit role.. as they often do with great lines - like "MMMMM, bull testicles!")

Oh yeah, right you are. «Turnspike breaks a chunk from +1000 pts and tosses it to Tiggerthehun»