IGNORED

worst sound effects

liquid_sky

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Vigor:

I agree with Tempest. That darn Pac-Man opening really grates on my nerves. *YELLING* DO-DEE-DO-DEE! */YELLING*

I'm having a bad night of PS2 debugging and this provided me with a much needed laugh. DO-DEE-DO-DEE! And to think this was used in a Circuit City commercial (that I must have seen 100 times) recently.. And I heard it in a completely different commercial a few nights ago. My girlfriend thought me quite odd as I'm yelling at the TV, "Ohmigod, it's the Atari 2600 Pac-Man music! HAHAHAHA!"

..Al

Ahhh, crap. I thought I'd be the first one to jog memories with Pac-man, but you beat me to the punch.

Pac-Man had the worst sounds. (EDIT: I like your sound better) DO DEE DO DEE -- ugh! Then the dot sounds -- br br, br br, br br. Crap! Could NOT have been worse! Yeah, I know, blame it on the 4K ROM size...

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Cafeman ]

Or the Journey game by Data Age...

Funny enough, the "munching" sound that Pac Man features is the same/similar sound Mario makes while walking up levels in Donkey Kong, right? Not too far from the arcade game, but annoying nevertheless...

Or any of the cheering sounds in any of the sports games.

Pac-man does have the worst sound effects. I have to turn the sound down on my TV when I play the game because that annoying "BONK BONK" sound when pac-man is eating gives me a headache. The 2600 Donkey Kong also has bad sound effects. They sound nothing like the arcade game.

Everyone seems to say that Adventure has horrible sound, but it doesn't really have any at all. There are bleeps when you pick stuff up, the dragon's roar, the victory music at the end, and that's about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Smart Patrol:

The one that really pains me is the opening song for Sneak N Peek. I made a house remix of it if you need a refresher:

-Paul

hey, with a base line, that's pretty catchy. Look for it on P.Diddy's new record!!!

Grover's Music Mess is another good example. The game is supposed to be about sound, yet everything is so garbled, god knows what's going on!

Tone Deaf Stan

• 4 months later...

NE146 wrote -

Anyone ever notice the sound the dude makes in Beat em and Eat em is the same sound as 2600 Pacman makes when he dies?

Trust you to notice that :D .

I hate the Smurf music myself, it griiiiiiiiiinds painfully through every joint of my body making me want to throw myself into a blender.

Adam

Yes, if you watch movies like some of the new horror ones, you'll hear sound effects from video games. One that came to mind was Bethesda Software's Arena where you open a door and it had that specific sound effect. I've heard this in at least 2 other movies in the past couple of years.

If you watch older movies from the 1980s, anything having to do with video games, you can pick out the Atari sounds from games. And yes, the Pac-man Atari sounds are the most famous.

Phil

Anyone ever notice the sound the dude makes in Beat em and Eat em is the same sound as 2600 Pacman makes when he dies?  :roll:

I was waiting for you to point that out! :ponder:

Pac-Man is pretty awful. My boss does a great job of mocking it...

"Dunk dunk, dunk-dunk-dunk, dunk BOO PUCK-gwee! PUCK-gwee!" It is impossible to recreate in print, but I swear he sounds just like it!

The game that haunts me though is the aforementioned, much-dreaded Journey Escape. That dreadful music won't go away!

My favorite bad sound... technically it's on the 7800, but it's really 2600 sound... is the music in the 7800 version of Donkey Kong Junior. So out-of-tune! So hilariously awful!

The two-note Congo Bongo theme is terrible on ANY platform. It almost makes you want to walk the poor bastard off a cliff to give your ears a break. Forget that the 2600 version is so badly designed that the monkeys don't seem as intent on throwing you off the cliff as being your pets; the "soundtrack" makes you want to bang your head against the wall over and over until you pass out.

The fact that it would be much easier to just turn down the volume doesn't occur to you as quickly as such irrational means of getting the "music" to go away and let you live your life in peace. If I were a boxer or soldier and I had to get angry and worked up before going into action, I'd listen to the Congo Bongo theme for a few minutes. I'd emerge as a deadly weapon.

Runner-up: The "you've been knocked back a lane" sound in Freeway. I think I'd play that game more if the high-pitched noise didn't make my fillings hurt.

CF

Has anyone ever played Nightmare? It raises an interesting question. Just how tone deaf can one be without getting fired from a job that requires musical sequencing ability? That game lives up to its name - and on so many levels... Ahh, cobras! (Score 1,000 points if you know what that last sentence is from.)