IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 20: Dark Cavern

Ze_ro

91'000

The game is fun later on in the game and when you are agressive. When you just wait for the robots to come it's boring.

There are two kinds of robots, one looks one way and one constantly looks in different directions. That one can shoot backwards so you can't follow him. :P

Does anyone know what the colors of the robots represent?

Does anyone know what the colors of the robots represent?

866819[/snapback]

they seem to indicate the number of robots left to kill. Blue when there are 4, green when 2, dark yellow when only one (that is when you get the extra life!)

you seem to be making pretty good time 5th ghost!  Why don't you take another 11 weeks off.... :ponder:

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

866956[/snapback]

lol reminds me of when I played the HSC last year. Started on week 11 or 12, ended up in 2nd place, underneat the great Todd Rogers.

Edited by keilbaca

lol reminds me of when I played the HSC last year. Started on week 11 or 12, ended up in 2nd place, underneat the great Todd Rogers.

866958[/snapback]

Hmmmm, did you really end up in second place? ;)

But seriously, you did make quite an impression! I think I missed out on about 13 weeks myself last season. You almost passed me!

866958[/snapback]

Hmmmm, did you really end up in second place? ;)

But seriously, you did make quite an impression! I think I missed out on about 13 weeks myself last season. You almost passed me!

866969[/snapback]

Whoops, my bad... i'm just really tired. Packing up your game as we speak ;)

29,000 for me.

I haven't been able to get a feel for this yet. I keep getting killed by robots I've already shot. I do ok circling around the top-middle of the maze to shoot 'em in the back after they pass, but as soon as I have to venture out, I get trapped with no where to go.

It's really pretty frustrating. Even when I kill them before they fully round the corner to the passage where I am, they still live long enough to get off the retalitory shot.

BTW, Ze_ro, I need to be added to the member list.

283000!!!

Man it gets hard after they all speed up!

I have noticed an occasional odd robot behavior. Sometime a robot will get "stuck" in a passage and just stand there and shake a bunch before finally moving on. Is this some kind of odd collision detection issue or a bad segment of AI?

Also, davespec, why are you venturing out? For bullets? See my very first tip about getting loaded early. Once you have 50+ bullets you should be able to play "sit and wait" letting them come to you. If you start to drop below 30 bullets, then stray out to pick them up. Otherwise, just protect the fort and you are good.

I have noticed an occasional odd robot behavior.  Sometime a robot will get "stuck" in a passage and just stand there and shake a bunch before finally moving on.  Is this some kind of odd collision detection issue or a bad segment of AI?

I think this is due to the anti-flicker engine they have going - to prevent flicker they don't let more than 2 sprites appear on any scanline, so sometimes a robot can't move up or down because that would put too many sprites on a scanline. So it just sits and waits.

At least that's what I think, anyway.

Hi there!

Even playing it two hours straight didn't help my score yesterday, but today the first game already went 228.000!

This game I had a way cool series of hitting the *4th* guy like 7-8 times in a row. (I think the lives counter stopped at 9 though... :mad: )

Greetings,

Manuel

I have noticed an occasional odd robot behavior.  Sometime a robot will get "stuck" in a passage and just stand there and shake a bunch before finally moving on.  Is this some kind of odd collision detection issue or a bad segment of AI?

I think this is due to the anti-flicker engine they have going - to prevent flicker they don't let more than 2 sprites appear on any scanline, so sometimes a robot can't move up or down because that would put too many sprites on a scanline. So it just sits and waits.

At least that's what I think, anyway.

867398[/snapback]

Well, I haven't seen that happening, but I did killed three robots in the same line. And sometimes the robots, spiders and the swirly thing get in the same line.

With the score I posted I still had 7 lives with 100K, when I suddenly panic'd and lost 4-5 in a row.

When do you get extra lives anyway?

865650[/snapback]

When you get to the point where 4 guys come out at once, you get an extra life when you kill all 4. The guy you kill for the extra life is light green/yellowish, brighter than the normal green guy.

865654[/snapback]

Thanks, got to increase my score a ton! :) Damn, almost 200,000 though! Oh well, I'm only just now beginning!

Another tip: watch the robots' colors; when they're green, they're about to turn yellow, and your chance to get an extra guy. But BE CAREFUL! If you're too greedy, you could end up losing a life or two if you go too fast.

post-3650-1117852716.jpg

Whoops! Turns out I messed up a bunch of scores during No Escape! last week... I think I've got them all sorted out now, but for those of you keeping track at home, you might want to check the scores I have listed and make sure I didn't screw up anything else.

--Zero