IGNORED

Favorite Video Game Music?

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!

What?! You LIKE that tune when Mac dons his pink suit and goes running? One of the most annoying sounds ever, in my opinion. But to each his own. If you don't believe me, check this out.

951636[/snapback]

:lol: Those MIDI's don't do that tune justice, man!

Actually I was thinking more of the fight music, but yeah, the jogging music is pretty good for a short tune. If it was played during a fight then it'd get annoying.

- Jason

Soundtrack to the original C64 Blagger by Antony Crowther.  It is a permanent part of my piano-playing repertoire.  Unfortunately, the version with the music is very rare and I have not yet found such a disk image online.

951769[/snapback]

Granted, I didn't play this very long... :ponder: Maybe I'll check it later, but I found the music extremely annoying! :lol: Anyways, this .TAP seems to have the music included. Then again, this is called "Son of Blagger", so I'm not sure if it is the same as what you were talking about. Anyways...

Then again, this is called "Son of Blagger", so I'm not sure if it is the same as what you were talking about.

I wish it were. But the one I'm looking for is the original "Alligata Blagger". It's a bizarre 2-D one-screen platformer, sort of like Donky Kong on LSD. I have yet to find a copy online that has the music, which only plays at the title screen. Thanx for tryin' though.

Ohh and I just thought of another winner - Skate or Die on the C64. Man, that is some serious metal. Simply AWESOME.

Edited by dogcorn

Soundtrack to the original C64 Blagger by Antony Crowther.  It is a permanent part of my piano-playing repertoire.  Unfortunately, the version with the music is very rare and I have not yet found such a disk image online.

Do you have a synth and ability to record MIDI? It might be cool to hear.

A friend of mine played the music to the first Super Mario GB game. Good stuff.

Do you have a synth and ability to record MIDI? It might be cool to hear.

952026[/snapback]

Sure. I sequenced the MIDI directly on my comp since my piano playing ain't perfect. http://www.geocities.com/pwongsas/blagger.mid

• 2 months later...

without a doubt, I can always hear the theme to REACTOR (arcade version), people have already mentioned Moon Patrol (arcade), Pitfall II (various console versions, although the Colecovision port is dearest to my heart), and Spy Hunter, and I'd have to include Tempest 2000 also

Ohh, tough one but totally worth it. There's no friggin way I can rank these, and no friggin way I'm gonna be able to think of them all in one post, so expect me to post several times in this thread, just adding more on. I will try to break it down by level, but when I can't I'll just mention the game. Some of these will be ones most of you will agree with, and some of these will strike you as odd....but that's just me.

Okay, first round:

Plok, from the funny parody of 20's black and white movies to most importantly, the very 70's prog rock music...No joke, I've played this game just to hear that music.

Act Raiser, the whole soundtrack is great, despite being totally derivative, and at times I suspect, outright plaegeristic (spelled wrong). Highlight is still easy to pick out: Northwall stage 1.

I like the music in Ogre Battle when you're setting up your character (via the tarot) Afterthat, I don't remember it really standing out.

Wolverine on the NES. I know, there's basically only 3 or 4 pieces of music in it and they're short (and on loop) But I just love them love them love them..especially the bonus level music. I would seriously like to cover that piece with guitars, bass, drums etc.

Parts of Wizards and Warriors 3. Highlight: Knight's Guild.

Metroid on the NES, particularly Lower Brinstar (Kraid's Lair)

The entire Zelda Franchise including the CD-i games. Zelda 1 is the weakest link, but still awesome!

The entire Final Fantasy series...period. Don't know if I'd call this the highlight per se, but the part that's jumping out in my mind right now is the selection from Final Fantasy VII where they're in the sewers (I know, it gets used a million times, but that's the instance that comes to mind first) you know, the jazzy one, the discordant one with the synth'd bass violin and the synth that is remeniscient of vibes.....starts with a simple tst tst tst tst of the symbols.....I love that piece. It's so simple, but it's just so moody, and jazzy. I love it!

While I can only recall just one piece of music from it, I remember really liking silver surfer for the NES.

SpiderMan/X-Men (SNES) Highlight is hard to say, but I'll default to Gambit's stage. Very progressive with a hint of funk...okay, when wah petals are involved it's more than a hint. :)

Dick Tracy on the Genesis. Highlight: Stage 2.

Shinobi 3 on Genesis...the whole shebang.

Double Dragon 1 and 2, arcade and genesis (2 was never released for US genesis, but I've played the MD version via emulation.)

Super Double Dragon. The highlights are the two tracks taken from the original double dragon and redone...beautifully.

These three go without saying: Sonic CD (highlight it tough call, but I'm gonna go with stage 3..the water one...in the past) Castlevania 4, highlight is too tough to call, and Contra 3, again, too hard to call.

Alien 3, SNES. Very moody. I suspect it's taken right from the movie but it's been so long since I've seen it that I can't say for sure.

Wolfchild (SNES/Genesis) Both have totally different soundtracks and I don't know which I prefer, but the piece that sticks out the most from both versions ironically belongs to the same spot in both versions: The map screen. I know there's also a Sega CD wolfchild, but I only played it in a game store for a few minutes and didn't really get a feel for what the music is like, but if the SNES/Genny versions are any indication, I'll bet I'd be impressed.

Echo the Dolphin: Sega CD. If you have even a passing appreciation for New Age, you'll love it.

Cosmic Carnage: 32x. A little cheesy at times, but really cool for most of it. Highlights are either of the background music tracks for the fire lady (can't remember her name) and one of the two background music tracks for Cylic (Cylig perhaps? The Ant Man.) Anyway, I can't remember if it's for the light armor or the heavy armor, but one of them is very so so, and one of them is the highlight of the game. In fact, once, probably not more than 2 years ago, I dreamed I was at a computer store, and they were installing an OS on a computer, and the background graphics that were up while the progress bar was crawling were planets and stars...space scenes, anyway, the music in the background was that very track, and I hadn't played the game in over a year at the time I had that dream, and it had been almost 8yrs since I had played it with any degreee of frequency, so it's very odd that that track would just pop up in a dream that long after having been exposed to it, and in such a random way....needless to say, I played it later that same day. :)

Anyway....I know that I've not even begun to scratch the surface, but here's what I've got for now. I hope I don't become too overbearing here, but this is an incredibly talkable subject to me. Apart from the Gospel and my family and friends, my two favorite discussion topics are music and video games...combine the two and I could talk for hours and hours and hours. :)

Metroid on the NES, particularly Lower Brinstar (Kraid's Lair)

Kraid's Area was definitely one of my favorite video game tunes of all time. However, now that I've been learning/arranging all the Metroid tunes, there are some lesser known tunes that are quite excellent. For example, the escape and ending tunes are pretty awesome, especially the ending, after you beat the game. For the curious, here's some cheesy MIDIs: Cheesy Metroid MIDIs!

Except the general rule here seems to be that the Dreamcast is considered a classic system, and only a current-gen/next-gen system goes in modern gaming.

872333[/snapback]

I know, except my main point of this thread was to see what other people thought of the old video game music. I know that as a general rule, the PS and DC are considered "classic," but I didn't want to include them in this thread (although I can't stop people from posting anything they want). On my original post I said pre-PS.

872487[/snapback]

I know I've barked up this tree more than once before, but I think while Heck Yes I did's distinction between modern and classic is oversimplified, it is none the less correct. I'm keeping my answers to "classic gaming" as is the rule of this thread set by H.Y.I.D, except for when a series spans both modern and classic systems and then I'll look at the whole picture (i.e.: my FFVII reference. Did anybody know what track I was talking about by the way?)

Except the general rule here seems to be that the Dreamcast is considered a classic system, and only a current-gen/next-gen system goes in modern gaming.

872333[/snapback]

I know, except my main point of this thread was to see what other people thought of the old video game music. I know that as a general rule, the PS and DC are considered "classic," but I didn't want to include them in this thread (although I can't stop people from posting anything they want). On my original post I said pre-PS.

872487[/snapback]

I know I've barked up this tree more than once before, but I think that while Heck Yes I did's distinction between modern and classic is oversimplified, it is none the less correct. And the proposition that if it aint brand new, it's solid gold classic is rediculous, as is the proposition that nothing post-crash can ever b classic. Anyhoo, I'm keeping my answers to "classic gaming" as is the rule of this thread set by H.Y.I.D, except for when a series spans both modern and classic systems and then I'll look at the whole picture (i.e.: my FFVII reference. Did anybody know what track I was talking about by the way?)

Edited by Mr_8bit_16bit

i couldn't really pick FAVORITES out of my top 20, so here they all are...

bomberman II (nes)

double dragon (arcade)

double dragon II: the revenge (nes)

kirby's dream land (gameboy)

klonoa: door to phantomile (ps1)

legend of zelda (nes)

megaman 2 (both gameboy & nes versions)

megaman 3 (nes)

megaman 4 (nes)

narc (nes)

nights into dreams (saturn)

ristar (genesis)

sonic 2 (genesis)

snow brothers jr (gameboy)

street fighter 2010: the final fight (nes)

street fighter II (all six-billion versions)

super mario bros 3 (nes)

super mario world (snes)

tmnt I (nes)

toejam & earl (genesis)

"Into Sandy's City" from Doom II. The whole soundtrack from Doom and Doom II by Bobby Prince is generally good, and same with the Skullmonkeys and Neverhood soundtracks by Terry S. Taylor.

The practice music from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (genesis) is also very good.

Edited by bowser724