IGNORED

Stella for Dreamcast!

Albert

http://our-arca.de/DCstella/For those of you looking for yet another platform that the Sega Dreamcast can emulate, you can now add Atari 2600 emulation to the list. Schnapple brings us news that DCStella has just hit the scene. While it's in the early stages of development you can download an alpha version, burn a CD and start enjoying 2600 games on your Dreamcast. Please visit the DCStella homepage for more details and instructions on how to download and use this first release.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Albert ]

I don't have a DC so I'm not sure how much use it is to me. Yet. I have seen the odd DCast cheap and it might be fun to do it that way with new controllers and stuff. If I hadn't bought a cuttlecart recently (which I fully reccomend) then I would be very interested indeed.

It would allow you to play Atari in front of a TV in your living room which I much prefer to sitting in front of my computer playing an emulator. Having just been into atari (since the ealry eighties) for less than a year now, I'm amazed at what people are doing for it. Even if all the Atari machines and carts dissapeared in a thermonuclear holocaust it seems like Atari would survive along with the cockroaches.

Anyway I'm going to keep an eye out for one and give it a go. If I had a DC already, I'd be over the moon. As it is I'm approaching a low orbit in a converted washing machine with a strange smile on my face.

$50! That's about £30 in real money! Bloody Hell! A mate told me they were about a £100. I'll definitely try and pick one up. You can get doom for it too can't you?

I love all these obsessive Atari fans out there. I'm going to send a copy of the software of to a friend with a DC and if it works, I reckon I'll get one.

I notice the only people who generally complain about emulation are people who have spent too much of their lives collecting carts. It must be awful to suddenly realise:

"I've wasted my life" Comic Shop Guy.

I am the first to say that royalties should be paid, but who gives a damn about these old systems. Just the people who play them really.

i dunno if its just me, but the dreamcast has that "feel" to it, where all the games feel like modern classics, seamless gameplay, innovative arts, and the fun factor that keeps you coming back for more.

It sure has taken mine, and mine is still on backorder in canada ("borrowed" a friends till then.. already got my games tho)

quote:

Originally posted by Atarion:

I notice the only people who generally complain about emulation are people who have spent too much of their lives collecting carts.

Hell, I've had emulators longer than I've had the cartridges! But roms are a poor substitute for the real thing.

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin

i'd better start stockpiling Shenmue 2's

Sadly, Sega decided not to release it in North America

The Dreamcast is a totally awesome system, and anyone who doesn't already have one really should pick one up. No one talks about them anymore, and they're never on lists that talk about "the new consoles"... but the facts are:

1. The system is cheap.

2. The games are cheap.

3. The games are good.

Where else can you get a system and Daytona USA for the price of a single PS2 game? I suppose I'm preaching to the choir here... after all, anyone who's reading an Atari message board already knows that it's the gameplay and price that's important

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

Sadly, Sega decided not to release it in North America

yeah, I'm in UK, theres tons of copies here

Sorry to be smug, but you guys across the pond ALWAYS get stuff we don't (xenogears on ps1 for example)

i didn't know there were any.

Mind, at $50, who cares? buy the real thing before its gone - you won't regret it

I agree with Liquid_sky, theres definitely some feel about it. From the moment I picked up that control pad and Crazy taxi started up, I just knew this was the very console for me.

I think Gamecube is gonna feel pretty similar.

i didn't know there were any.

Mind, at $50, who cares? buy the real thing before its gone - you won't regret it

I agree with Liquid_sky, theres definitely some feel about it. From the moment I picked up that control pad and Crazy taxi started up, I just knew this was the very console for me.

I think Gamecube is gonna feel pretty similar.

Well, I've been playing some Atari games on the Dreamcast and the colors and screen size are perfect. There's no sound on it though. The games play at pretty good speed though some of them slow down from time to time. Otherwise, it's great to be able to play them on another console, just have to get used to the Dreamcast controller. Had to use Windows to burn the CD but it's worth it!

Yellowdragon

A bit off topic, but the NES and SMS emulators are amazing. If you've got a Dreamcast, I'd highly recommend them.

The SNES one is kind of cool, but still suffers from quite a bit of slowdown. The nice thing about it is that it supports 4 players, so you can play 4 player Super Bomberman. That alone is worth burning the disk for.

quote:

Originally posted by King_Asmo:

A bit off topic, but the NES and SMS emulators are amazing. If you've got a Dreamcast, I'd highly recommend them.

I haven't seen the SMS emulation yet, but I did have an opportunity to play with an NES emulator and it was pretty damn good. You can get a ton of NES games on a single CD--much more convenientn than digging through your NES carts and trying to get them working on a front-loader. Plus you can hook the Dreamcast up with S-Video, vs. composite for the NES (at least I don't remember the NES having an S-Video cable, but I could be wrong). Does anyone know if these emulators work with the VGA box? I guess that kind of defeats the purpose a bit, since you can just play these games on a PC anyway, but it's more enjoyable on a TV with a Dreamcast controller.

I need to dig out my Dreamcast (it's in a box somewhere) and fire up these emulators, including the 2600 one. As for the 2600 emulator not having sound, no, not yet, but it's promised soon.

..Al

Just picked up a Dreamcast at toysrus.

Albert thanks for the info about it being only $50 can't beat that.

There were not many only about 6 left on the floor (more out back??)

Anyone that wants one should probably go get up right away because soon there will be none left.

Now to build a collection of games.

before I go a searching for game lists and emulation stuff can anyone post some links

other than the one posted by albert

or email me bangles66@yahoo.com

to a complete game list and some sites for emulation?

I'm intersted in anything amd everything the

dc can emulate.

thanks

now to go hook up the dc

I like that nice short and sweet the dc, kinda like the vcs.