IGNORED

Compiling lists of Atari, Corp. (re-release) label variants

Christophero Sly

Atariguide is down, but I scoured AA and found several gray label variants and I've added them to the list. Here is the updated file. I will also post it the post at the beginning of the thread.

EDIT: Most recent updates can be found at the beginning of this thread.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Now, to help out philflound with his list, here are the cart types.

All the 85 silver labels are CART1 except for Battlezone which is CART2.

The 86 labels are all CART2 except Krull and Taz which are CART3.

The 87 labels are all CART3 except for Vanguard which is CART1.

The 88 labels are all CART3.

I hope this helps anyone who was curious. :cool:

I dont know whether its gray or silver, but concerning the release date between 85 and 87 you may add (PAL):

Joust, 1985, Right Corner, Present, Typo: ATAR. CORP:

http://www.xenophobe.de/atari/joust.html

Kangaroo, 1985, Right Corner, Present:

http://www.xenophobe.de/atari/kangaroo.html

Realsports Soccer, 1986, Centered, Present:

http://www.xenophobe.de/atari/realsports_soccer.html

Stargate, 1987, Right Corner, Absent:

http://www.xenophobe.de/atari/stargate.html

Vanguard, 1987, Centered, Absent:

http://www.xenophobe.de/atari/vanguard.html

So far ...

One question... should I include the PAL brown-background Battlezone that otherwise looks like a silver/gray label?

907800[/snapback]

Why don't you scrap all these re-release lists & work on the full thing?

I personally feel those red-brown labels, even the ones that look like silvers should be listed as reds. But seeing how they too are re-releases for the most part, I think there should be a listing of them too.

Here's another that follows the silver label style but with a twist of red-brown flavoring..

post-43-1123629752_thumb.jpg

I'm more than happy to share whatever information I've gathered and help in the endeavor to update the Giant LVAR list, but I find the formatting of the Giant LVAR list too confusing for my personal use as a collector of these variants. My intention here was to create more manageable lists with formatting specific to these particular variants. In short, lists that were easier to reference and, for me at least, more useful. I wasn't aware of the effort to update the Giant LVAR list when I began constructing these lists. Perhaps my efforts are now redundant and my time wasted on this task, but I have no intention of scraping these lists and I will continue to update these lists as new variants are brought to my attention.

I personally think these lists that you are doing are easier to work with than the GLOV. Especially since they narrow down the re-releases. Next up, we should tackle RED carts! :twisted: I have a bunch of those that we can jump start it with. But for now, lets just do one version at a time!

BTW, that Joust with the P on the end label is NTSC. ;)

Edited by shining slade

The giant list I'm working on isn't that bad of a format. At least to what I've changed everything to. But having smaller lists is a good idea for those who are looking to pinpoint specific label variations. It's easier to browse.

The joust you have the p on the end label where you say it's ntsc, did you open it up brand new? The problem I have with carts with different end labels that shouldn't have happened is the chance of it being reglued from another cart and not being a legit variation. It's too easy to fake. LMK. I'll add it to the list if you think it's real.

Phil

One question... should I include the PAL brown-background Battlezone that otherwise looks like a silver/gray label?

907800[/snapback]

I personally feel those red-brown labels, even the ones that look like silvers should be listed as reds. But seeing how they too are re-releases for the most part, I think there should be a listing of them too.

Here's another that follows the silver label style but with a twist of red-brown flavoring..

907923[/snapback]

Can you do me a favor and scan the end label on the red millipede? This is one that needs to be added to the giant list. I don't have a 1988 listed for red. Thanks.

Phil

I think once I get all these grey labels up to date, I'm going to revamp the giant list. Instead of calling it a picture silver 1 or 2, I think I'll add a new listing called PicGr1 and PicGr2 for grey labels. I think it'll be much easier to read, instead of having it listed as a silver only to see that it is really grey reading the description of the label variation.

When I'm ready to do that, I'm going to list everything that "should" be a grey label, but does not say so in the description. That means I never physically held it in my hand or seen one of the updates on here. I'll ask my fellow collectors to verify the existance of such labels. Boy I wish I could find a ton of these.

Phil

88 Red Millipede is PAL. End label matches 88 silver, with a black label with red text. Don't have scanner hooked up atm, and can't take clear shots at night right now.

I only posted that one because I believe there are more like it, red-brown carts that follow the silver style instead of typical red label cart. Like Battlezone which is also available in both versions for 87 & 88.

But I feel they should probably be contained to a red label list, instead of silver list.

Here's my quick and dirty contribution. These are all PAL. Seems by battlezone is the same, rest different to what's already made it to the list. Maybe someone can shed some light on Mario Bros - seems a bit weird to me.

I've also mentioned the Atari, Corp and Atari Corp differences as AFAIK there's no comma in "Atari Corp", but there was in "Atari, Inc" but correct me if wrong ;)

Apologies for typos and stuff, but it had to be done quick......

title           year   logo          controller info   remarks

asteroids       1987   centre        absent            CX prefix "Atari, corp"
battlezone      1985   right corner  present           "Atari, corp"
centipede       1986   centre        present           "Atari, corp"
centipede       1987   centre        absent            "Atari, corp"
crystal castles Absent right corner  absent            no other info on this label
dig dug         1988   right corner  absent            Italics, printed in Hong Kong, "Atari corp"
dig dug         1988   right corner  absent            Printed in Hong Kong "Atari, corporation" CX prefix, P suffix
dig dug         1988   right corner  absent            No 'printed in'line, "Atari corp"
Football        1987   centre        present           "Atari, corp" "Football Realsports Soccer" on main and end labels
Galaxian        1987   right corner  Absent            "Atari, corp"
Mario Bros      1983?  centre        Absent            No atari © on this anywhere (genuine?) Case1
Millipede       1987   right corner  Absent            "Atari, Corp"
Millipede       1988   right corner  Absent            "Atari Corp" CX prefix
Moon Patrol     1987   right corner  Absent            "Atari, Corp"
Ms Pac Man      1987   centre        Absent            "Atari, Corp"
Ms Pac Man      1988   centre        Absent            "Atari, Corp" CX prefix
Pole Position   Absent Centre        Absent            Small writing about Namco and Licence at bottom
Pole Position   1988   centre        Absent            "Atari, Corporation" CX prefix, P suffix
Tennis          1986   centre        Present           "Realsports tennis" on end label "Atari Corp"

Edited by t1n

The giant list I'm working on isn't that bad of a format. At least to what I've changed everything to. But having smaller lists is a good idea for those who are looking to pinpoint specific label variations. It's easier to browse.

The joust you have the p on the end label where you say it's ntsc, did you open it up brand new? The problem I have with carts with different end labels that shouldn't have happened is the chance of it being reglued from another cart and not being a legit variation. It's too easy to fake. LMK. I'll add it to the list if you think it's real.

Phil

908280[/snapback]

No I did not get it out of the box. It works on my tv which is NTSC without rolling. I 've tried it on a few different tv's actually and it did not roll on any of them.

The 1987 Galaxian, I have a question on. The main and end labels. Are they paper or plastic? Let me know on both. I may have more questions. I'm updating the list right now. Thanks.

Phil

908809[/snapback]

Here are some better pics ;) The main label has a shiny look to it. Also I just noted that the following earlier release games are all CART2 that I have.

83 Dig Dug

84 Millipede

84 Pengo

82 Realsports Baseball

82 Realsports Volleyball

I also realized that the font on 87 Realsports Football's main label for the year is different. Also, there is a period on one after Atari and the other has a comma. I've included a pic of it.

I think I'm getting too carried away with label variations :ponder: I'm going away now. lol

post-4732-1123858849_thumb.jpg

post-4732-1123858916_thumb.jpg

post-4732-1123858947_thumb.jpg

post-4732-1123859005_thumb.jpg

post-4732-1123859193_thumb.jpg

Edited by shining slade

I added all of slade's original photo pics or modified others. I'll try and understand his new ones. I haven't gotten to the other people listing here. For me, if it doesn't have all the info I can use, then I'm probably not going to add it, or if it has most, I'll add it with question marks on the parts I need. Soon I'll get a huge list of everything I'd like to verify. Sly asked me if everything listed was accurate. I told him that anything that did not have a question mark originally had a number next to it, which meant that it was physically present for John, Tempest, or myself. Anything that was blank, I was assuming was told for the list, but never verified by physically holding, so that became a question mark.

I've found a major variation with US Games cartridges and I'm in the middle of finishing the update on those. It seems there is a molding variation on the 2 notches, at least on the square carts. The fancy cart so far does not have a variation from what I've investigated. The bottom of the notch either has 1 line or 3 lines molded into it. The 1 line gets thinner as it reaches the top, the 3 lines remain a consistant rectangular shape. Also, I see with the 3 lines, the cartridge has a slight oval shape on its side, similar to the shape of a Colecovision cart, but not so much as not to fit into the Atari unit I assume. So now I'm going through all the carts in my collection as well as all the extras I have to add either 1 line or 3 lines to each label variation.

Fun, fun, fun!

Phil

Edited by Philflound