IGNORED

5 Million Copies of ET

atarigamer

I've been doing some pretty heavy research on this topic, just for the sake of "lore." It would be virtually impossible to try to dig up any of these carts, though, simply because of all the concrete they are supposedly encased in.

Anyhow, they are located in Alomogordo, NM, in 1 of 2 landfills that were active at the time. I'm mapping them out, and someday will post the maps on my site.

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: twit ]

You should rent a jackhammer and go to the dump. Sorry Twit I have to post this:

I guy with a jackhammer hammering away at some conceat in a dump

Police officer: HAY WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Jackhammer stops

Guy: I'm trying to get some 20-year-old Atari cartridges from under…

Police officer: What??

Police officer picks up mike and holds it to his mouth

Police officer: I need a loony wagon out at the dump…

Hey, do't you know?

They're buried with all the unsold Apple Lisas that were discarded to a secure landfill as well.

Well, probably not, but how many SECURE landfills can there be?

(and one must wonder if the Tengen Tetris carts that were destroyed after the trial are there too... )

sky you analize things to death man. it isnt important if the things work or not its the trill of the hunt. trailing back this 4 ton thing in a rented pickup to texas or NJ just because we dug it out of the middle of a dessert cause we heard it existed. tahts why if it works or saveable its a bonus

According to the story**, the carts were crushed before being encased in containers BEFORE being added to the landfill (per EPA regulations?). So any carts you find would be unplayable (even if you WANTED to!).

** Personally, I do not believe the story. I think it was a way to hide $$ that Atari was losing at the time.

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

According to the story**, the carts were crushed before being encased in containers BEFORE being added to the landfill (per EPA regulations?). So any carts you find would be unplayable (even if you WANTED to!).

Ah, but if E.T. could come back to life, then why not his game!