IGNORED

5 Million Copies of ET

atarigamer

If anyone does manage to dig some/all of them out of the mystery landfill, I would personally buy a few of the carts (Or enough of the smashed pieces to make a few carts). Along with a photo of the exposed games in the landfill for verifaction.

I think that would be a great addition to my collection or any collection, a few carts from the mystery landfill- the home of the 5 million buried E.T. carts

Junie

What is the topic with the most replies in all of the history of the Atari Age Message Boards?

Cause I usually only see most topics go to 15 replies, but this one has 26+ ....so far..... .

BTW (by the way) , does anyone actually like E.T. for the 2600 (besides me) ? .

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: atarigamer ]

Personally, I think if anyone knew exactly where the carts were at, it would be pretty sweet to go on a Goonies-esque quest across the country to try to excavate them. Of course what would you tell your loved ones?..."Guys I'm going to the desert to find buried video game treasure. All I have is a map and a jackhammer, and I'm not sure when I'll be back."...They'd have you committed.

atarigamer--

Spares, trading fodder, and the all-important label variation carts.

From a production standpoint...

The cost to design the tooling, circuits, chips, and finished good components are pretty much set regardless of the quantity of the run. The cost to pay the programmer is a set amount...and usually a royalty is payed per game sold (i.e. not how many are produced). Since quantity has little impact on the cost of the run (relative to setting everything up), it is much cheaper to set the quantity based on current demand + projected future demand. Demand went out the window in '84...hence so many commons.

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

I am making a hack of E.T. who do I send it to? It should be ready tommorrow.

You can send it to EMAIL]editor@atariage.com[/email] and we'll make sure it gets online as soon as possible. I'm surprised no one has hacked ET before (at least that I'm aware of). I shudder to think what you might be doing to it!

..Al

(woops, I original put the wrong email address in there. That's what I get for typing messages at 8am before I've full woken up.. )

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Albert ]

Yep they did make more ETs than Atari consoles. I think the thought behind it was that since the movie was such a mega hit....Everyone that had an Atari would want the game...Plus they were still under the impression that they would keep selling more Atari's, thus all the new people that bought consoles would want the game.... Unfortunately you know what happened. The game bombed and the market for new Atari's went down. So they had millions of carts that no-one needed or wanted. **Hey is this the longest thread ever??**

ET RULES!!!

Sorry for making the post longer but...

If Atari made more ET then Atari's 2600 consoles then what about 2600 converter for 5200 and Colecovision 2600 Adaptor, etc...

The other thing is, if the carts have no value what so ever, why would you destroy them by crushing and poring concrete over them?

If I have a bunch of a product and I can't sell it for $$$, why would I destroy it, when I could sell it for $? Ok I would have to sell it for very little maybe, but I get some money back. Or would this hurt Atari's image too much? I still can make someone sigh saying they will hang on to them for a year or so.

What year was ET? AtariAge doesn't list it. In the first two years, Atari had already sold over 1 million VCS. In the next 3-4 years they must have sold many times that. I find it hard to believe they would not have sold more than 5 million during the first 5 years of existence.

about to phone home,

quote:

Originally posted by Mot:

If I have a bunch of a product and I can't sell it for $$$, why would I destroy it, when I could sell it for $? Ok I would have to sell it for very little maybe, but I get some money back. Or would this hurt Atari's image too much? I still can make someone sigh saying they will hang on to them for a year or so.

I am by no means an expert on this topic, but I believe there are valid business reasons for this. I think having large quantities of un-sold inventory lying around is a tax liability. I think there is also an advantage to simply destroying the inventory, then from selling it at little or no profit.

Maybe someone with a business background can confirm some of this.

quote:

Originally posted by Mario's Other Brother:

What year was ET? AtariAge doesn't list it. In the first two years, Atari had already sold over 1 million VCS. In the next 3-4 years they must have sold many times that. I find it hard to believe they would not have sold more than 5 million during the first 5 years of existence.

We do have ET in our database. The problem is it's listed as E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, so if you just searched for "ET" it wouldn't have popped up. We don't have a date for when it was released, but I imagine it was in 1982 right around the same time the movie came out. The copyright dates on the box are also 1982.

..Al

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Albert ]

Wow! I can't believe this thread is still going. hehe.

Anyway, I've had a chat with the Queen and we're getting a ship together to come over and hunt for the patch of land with those carts in - and we'll claim it for the British Empire. Anyone want to start a colony on it with us?