IGNORED

Flashback 2 Website - Cartridge Mod Hack

It doesn't have to be messy -- Curt's pics are just quick and dirty pics of how to get it done technically. Someone who is good at this sort of thing (NOT ME!) could make it all pretty while functional at the same time. The mod is harder to do than I had pictured, so I'll probably give someone a few bucks to do it for me once these go more mainstream.

Next time, they should just include a cart port and claim that it does not work, it is not supported, etc, etc, etc.  That way they don't have to support it, and Atari fans will know that it does work assuming your carts are in good condition.

905148[/snapback]

Will the cartridge bypass the internal rom, or will the internal rom be disabled after the hack is installed?

(Oops nevermind, I missed reading the part about the switch completely... I think I was too busy drooling over the FB2 :))

Edited by classics

time to order!!!

ack!

this is too cool!

now i can take some of my other noiz carts out for gigs!!!!!

i am also privy to the delicate work of putting that ribbon cable on there.

i took a VERY long time doing that part when building the noizSPIKE-2600/ R.

here we go again!!!!!!!

Is it possible to mod the flashback 1 ?

904526[/snapback]

Not in the same way. It's not really a mini-VCS like the FB2. You could put it into a different case, or change out the controls, but you will never be able to run real Atari cartridges on the first Flashback.

904527[/snapback]

Thanks for the info! Interesting...

I have read there is a problem with one of the sound channels? Would it be possible to fix this via a mod on the circuit board?

Chris

Nope...

Its in internal chip layout issue as an earlier GDS rev was missing an element in a section of the TIA entity. Unless you can move atoms, you wont be fixing this particular glitch under the silicate seal.

Curt

Is it possible to mod the flashback 1 ?

904526[/snapback]

Not in the same way. It's not really a mini-VCS like the FB2. You could put it into a different case, or change out the controls, but you will never be able to run real Atari cartridges on the first Flashback.

904527[/snapback]

I have read there is a problem with one of the sound channels? Would it be possible to fix this via a mod on the circuit board?

Chris

905766[/snapback]

Is everyone who attempts this mod, going to put the cart port into the case? Maybe like the original or otherwise? I was thinking that I might go and buy one, and add a plug-in there on the side or something and run a cable to a project box, and have the cart port in there.

What do yall think, have it kind of like a disk drive attachment?

--James

904560[/snapback]

Read Bruce's second post again, especially the part about short wire length.

904604[/snapback]

Ack, the shielding or whatnot, but can't you buy cable that is shielded? I thought about that after he said that, but for some reason when I typed it out it didn't register.

Anyway, I might try something different.

--James

Nope...

Its in internal chip layout issue as an earlier GDS rev was missing an element in a section of the TIA entity.     Unless you can move atoms, you wont be fixing this particular glitch under the silicate seal.

Curt

Chris

905766[/snapback]

905945[/snapback]

is there any chance this glitch will be fixed in the PAL version? pretty please? :)

Edited by gizmomelb

Gizmomilb -

You need to read back a bit, as discussed this was a small run with this audio missing, all other units have the Quadrun voice.

No PAL unit is in works as of yet until most likely all of the NTSC shipments have gone out, also Atari, Inc handles US NTSC sales, if you really want a PAL version you'll need to go to Infogrames site and start emailing them that you want a PAL version for UK/Europe to get them to start requesting for us to make a PAL version.

Curt

Nope...

Its in internal chip layout issue as an earlier GDS rev was missing an element in a section of the TIA entity.    Unless you can move atoms, you wont be fixing this particular glitch under the silicate seal.

Curt

Chris

905766[/snapback]

905945[/snapback]

is there any chance this glitch will be fixed in the PAL version? pretty please? :)

906283[/snapback]

Just got my FB2 working with carts    :P

Still need to cut an opening in the case tonight.

Curt's instructions are pretty good, I'll post some followup notes and pics tomorrow.

907807[/snapback]

Sweet!

One question, since yours is now modded, can it play the games that came with it as well? If mpt is there a way to put a swich or something on it that would allow you to change between the included games and the cart port.

The only reason I ask is because some of the games (Adventure 2, Yars Return Asteroids Deluxe, etc) are only available on the FB2, and I would like to be able to continue to play them.

I suppose if the roms were to be dumped, they could be put on a cart, correct?

One question, since  yours is now modded, can it play the games that came with it as well? If mpt is there a way to put a swich or something on it that would allow you to change between the included games and the cart port.

You didn't read the link, did you? It's on the last page.

908381[/snapback]

Arg. I guess not. Sorry.

Just got an autodetect circuit working for cartridges, still need to cut a hole in the case and reassemble.

For current consumption on Adventure I'm reading 32ma (built-in game), 67ma (standard cartridge), and 272ma (previous 4-switcher reading).

Curt works with some sneaky designers BTW. I'll post more later.

Edited by jsoper

Just got an autodetect circuit working for cartridges, still need to cut a hole in the case and reassemble.

Curt works with some sneaky designers BTW.  I'll post more later.

908541[/snapback]

Any practical way to unsolder the ROM module, put in a daughterboard, and plug the ROM module into that? Soldering wires to scattered pads doesn't seem like my idea of fun, and a daughterboard could probably make the mod much more convenient.

Any practical way to unsolder the ROM module, put in a daughterboard, and plug the ROM module into that?  Soldering wires to scattered pads doesn't seem like my idea of fun, and a daughterboard could probably make the mod much more convenient.

908625[/snapback]

Why do people think that ROM module is the easy approach? It's 44 pins and tightly spaced. You'd need a special iron, hot air gun, or welding torch to unsolder it. There's very little headroom in that part of the case. Then you'd have to solder the rom to the daughter cart (44 pins) and the daughtercard to the motherboard (44 pins).

Why do people think that ROM module is the easy approach?  It's 44 pins and tightly spaced.

I've not examined the board, I was only judging by the pictures and some other boards I've seen with similar-looking modules. Perhaps the FB2's module is different from what I'm used to. Someday I'll get an FB2 and can actually look at one; maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut until then :ponder:.