IGNORED

Flashback 2 Website - Cartridge Mod Hack

Does Missile Command on a cartridge show the same display oddities as the built-in?

916737[/snapback]

You do see the bar under the reserve like the one built-in, but the 'comb' is visible when the screen changes color. I think someone said that it was either solid or you couldn't see it at all? I haven't played the built-in Missile Command for very long yet...

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

• 1 month later...

Should I have continuity between the black wire's original point at J40 and the new point at the top of C4? No matter which one I have the black wire hooked to, I still see the startup screen for the Flashback 2 (castle). And when I add the jumper to J3 (connecting the left and right sides), all it basically does is sort of scramble the title screen. Now, if I plug in a cartridge, I'll get a whole different kind of scramble, though that scramble will slightly change when I attach the jumper.

Any ideas or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

And just to double check, if you were facing a cartridge connector, already in a machine, I wired bottom left as 1, bottom right as 12, top left as 24, and top right as 13.

24-----------13

1------------12

Is this correct? I also tried:

13----------24

12-----------1

just to see, but that didn't work either.

I may be in over my head with this, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Should I have continuity between the black wire's original point at J40 and the new point at the top of C4?  No matter which one I have the black wire hooked to,  I still see the startup screen for the Flashback 2 (castle).

944697[/snapback]

No. It sounds like you solder-bridged across the capacitor somehow (or bridged to something near where the wire was originally at J40).

And when I add the jumper to J3 (connecting the left and right sides),  all it basically does is sort of scramble the title screen.  Now,  if I plug in a cartridge,  I'll get a whole different kind of scramble,  though that scramble will slightly change when I attach the jumper.

944697[/snapback]

It won't work right until you get the first problem fixed.

And just to double check,  if you were facing a cartridge connector,  already in a machine,  I wired bottom left as 1,  bottom right as 12,  top left as 24,  and top right as 13. 

24-----------13

1------------12

Is this correct?  I also tried:

13----------24

12-----------1

just to see,  but that didn't work either.

I may be in over my head with this,  but I figured I'd give it a shot.

944697[/snapback]

Your first version of the cart port pinout is correct, if viewing it from the side the cartridge plugs into.

You've solder bridged someplace, everything else you've done sounds correct, also the top pinout you listed is the correct one:

24_____________13

1______________12

Curt

Should I have continuity between the black wire's original point at J40 and the new point at the top of C4?  No matter which one I have the black wire hooked to,  I still see the startup screen for the Flashback 2 (castle).  And when I add the jumper to J3 (connecting the left and right sides),  all it basically does is sort of scramble the title screen.  Now,  if I plug in a cartridge,  I'll get a whole different kind of scramble,  though that scramble will slightly change when I attach the jumper.

And just to double check,  if you were facing a cartridge connector,  already in a machine,  I wired bottom left as 1,  bottom right as 12,  top left as 24,  and top right as 13. 

24-----------13

1------------12

Is this correct?  I also tried:

13----------24

12-----------1

just to see,  but that didn't work either.

I may be in over my head with this,  but I figured I'd give it a shot.

944697[/snapback]

Well, I guess I hit a "bad" batch (as far as modifying them), because I bought a second one, and before I touched anything, I checked J40 and C4 and they have continuity between them on this one too. So it's really no use I go any further.

Oh well, I got most of what I wanted out of this project, which was to learn.

Maybe I'll try it again with the Flashback 3 if that ends up being an option on that one too.

Thanks again for you help guys.

Well,  I guess I hit a "bad" batch (as far as modifying them),  because I bought a second one,  and before I touched anything,  I checked J40 and C4 and they have continuity between them on this one too.

945136[/snapback]

Um, the black wire's original position at J40 is supposed to have continuity to one side of C4. You need to move the black wire to the other side of C4.

Curt (or anyone, really), could you make a close-up board photo with the black wire disconnected, with both of its possible initial locations and the new location for using cartridges all identified?

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I did the soldering on my FB2 today. I noticed that the circuit board looks different from the one on the website. The solder pads are located in different places, and there is no mention of J40 and C4, instead the board says to use J9. There was a component that appeared to be a 0 Ohm resistor across J9, which I removed so I could put a switch there.

But no dice - carts won't work when J3 is shorted and J9 open, but the FB2 mode still works with J3 open and J9 shorted so I don't think I screwed anything up.

Does anyone else have this version of FB2, and have they successfully modded it yet? Is there anything I've missed?

Are there any other places that sell the connectors, etc ?

The websites listed here are completely confusing...

Is there any place that you can order from simply without e-mailing and such?

949375[/snapback]

I purchased my connectors from Best Electronics.

The best thing to do is call them and tell them you need a cart connector for an FB2 unit.

They only sell them in pairs so it will cost you $20.00 + S&H.

The part number is CO15573A for the connector and guide.

Follow this link and call the number at the bottom of the page

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm#based

• 1 month later...

I'll make my introduction post later.....but suffice it to say I'm a very classic gamer, with a fair(not extensive, but I can wield a soldering iron without much worry) knowledge of electronics.

I just got one of these devices, which I bought because it can be modified for original carts(the main reason I didn't buy the 1st one).

I have a question, and it's fairly simple.

I have a DEAD Atari 2600. I had it repaired once(cost a boatload of cash, but I liked it)....but the repair didn't last.

The question is this: Can I remove the cartridge slot from the dead one, for use in the FB2?

Just to say it....I hope the FB3(since it IS in the works), comes with the cart port installed. If a cart doesn't run on it, the cart is probably bad.

I have a DEAD Atari 2600. I had it repaired once(cost a boatload of cash, but I liked it)....but the repair didn't last.

The question is this: Can I remove the cartridge slot from the dead one, for use in the FB2?

980244[/snapback]

If you do (and if you're in the U.S.A.), could I get the rest of the dead motherboard from you?

Thanks, I do know how(and have the tools) to de-solder it. Although, hopefully, someone might find that link usable!

AJ- For a couple of bucks, sure. I honestly don't know whats wrong with it, but I figure it's worth a few dollars(no more than $5.), plus shipping.

It will be intact, though. I'll even post a picture of it, if you'd like(Before you commit, of course.)

• 2 months later...
2 questions:

1) Does this create a better looking display on the T.V.? I have 2 Original 2600 consoles and neither has a great t.v. display even with the adapter I bought from Atariage. 

2) Does anyone on her make and sell these?

1030824[/snapback]

What are you smoking?

1) This thread is about adding a cartridge port to the Flashback 2 dedicated system. Adding a cart port to your Flashback 2 will have no effect on the picture quality of your other two 2600 consoles! :roll:

2) I doubt it. When I'm on her, thoughts of Atari never even enter my mind! :D

Edited by A.J. Franzman

2 questions:

1) Does this create a better looking display on the T.V.? I have 2 Original 2600 consoles and neither has a great t.v. display even with the adapter I bought from Atariage.

2) Does anyone on her make and sell these?

1030824[/snapback]

1) This thread is about adding a cartridge port to the Flashback 2 dedicated system. Adding a cart port to your Flashback 2 will have no effect on the picture quality of your other two 2600 consoles! :roll:

I realize that, however the FB2 uses patch cords to plug into the front of your tv and the old atari systems use an RF switch, I thought using the new type plug in could create a picture that looks more clean than the old switch type.