IGNORED

5200 vs. CV once again.

RickHarrisMaine

I just picked up a boxed 2 port 5200 and a few games. I also have a 7800 with a few 7800 games and the usual tons of 2600 games. What's the better setup to have?

A 5200 and a 7800, so you can really play all of the classic games, or a Colecovision with a 2600 adaptor, so you can play all of their great games as well, which are mostly shared with the 5200?

Or just get a bank of about 15 TV's, line them up with every system ever built, and play them all? Just kidding!

The best setup would be to buy a 2600, 5200, 7800 and Colecovision then decide what you want and do not want after playing all of them. Anyone into that era of games would say the same. If you're unable to afford what you are buying all the time or cannot hold onto them, why buy it? :ponder:

I vote for buy them all! :cool:

None of these classic systems are so expensive that you can't afford to own at least once.

I don't see the point in buying an adapter for the CV or 5200, to avoid owning a real 2600. Both of these devices are kind of bulky, and not real attractive. If you are a 5200 or CV collector, then sure you'd want to own one. Or if you just happened into a cheap find, why not keep it right? But to seek out an adpater just to bypass owning a real 2600 seems like a waste of time. Unless maybe you are out of space.

The 7800 does have the edge over both 5200 & CV in that regard. Built in compatibility with the 2600 is a nice touch.

Games on CV vs 5200, I'd say there are some pretty good ones on both sides. CV has about twice as many games though. But 5200 has had more conversions of late, 8-bit titles now running on the real hardware. repo carts of protos & the like. These help it's library.

It always boils down to what you want as a collector, and what your goals are.

If you're just looking for some fun gaming, then there's no reason why you can't keep all around.

If you are approching this as a collector, then you still have different degrees there too, which could go one of several ways.

Collect only fun games

Collect games within predetermined budget (can be fun only or any & all)

Collect games with no budget, no holds bar, take no prisoners, kill'em all, willingly throw down $500 snipes on those rares, crush your opponents, even if it is that thrifty birdie3 :P

You can also go boxed or loose, space & money issues are directly tied to these.

If you only wanted one classic system to collect, space would be less of an issue.

5200 & 7800 are both small enough, and cheap enough to collect them all.

CV could take years and mucho dinero. But no one said you had to have them all in one day.

I was never fond of stock CV controllers. But of the 15-20 I owned none ever played as well as my 5200 sticks when they worked, that is so I was always a little pissed with my CV setups. Also picture quality was not as good as the 5200 in my experience. And the damned startup screens, I never knew what the hell they were there for. But I liked the 5200, since it was my first and all, so of course I am biased towards it. ;) But seeing these modded CVs all the time, I'm starting to rethink this system. I know it's got a number of unique titles for it as well as some pretty neat homebrews. Collecting CV would be for fun for me though, just too many educational titles that were released I don't want to seek out.

I agree with the "own one of them all" strategy. The only problem is that your library of common 2600 titles will grow to an annoying level... in most of my non-2600 console purchases, there always seem to be a few of the buggers involved.

I would have to say the 5200 wins on the toss up due to console styling :D . The big wedge just screams "eigties" to me... the CV was sort of a dud style-wise.

Edited by hookem

well right now I have a non-working CV (I eventually plan on sending it to Mr. Doubledown soon), 4 2600's (2 Vaders, a light and a heavy sixer), a 7800 and now a 5200. I may just keep them all in some fashion, perhaps make some sort of cabinet for them, where I could have a master game switch or something and play between them all. I'm also planning on making a play/game room in the basement and perhaps I can work something out for all of them there. I know I wanted both the 5200 and the CV as a kid, and now I have them both, and have paid very little for them!!!

Although I prefer my CV, I dig my 5200 too. I think keeping both is the wise choice since they both have a good amount of games not available on the other system or ports that are MUCH better on one or the other. For example, I find 5200 Congo Bongo unplayable but I like the CV one. Same for Gorf but the 5200's versions of Defender and Centipede are better than the the CV. Besides, no Moon Patrol or Counter Measure on the Cv and no Jumpman Jr. or Wargames on the 5200. Keep 'em both, it's not hard to have both hooked up to one TV with an A/B switchbox.

I believe Jumpman JR is available for the 5200 now. Although no true cartridge exists teh romz are out there.

There's always going to be some overlap between the systems, and some ports are better than others to be certain. One of the best reasons for owning them all, is to try out the different versions & find which ones you like for yourself. Comparing roms to carts across platforms, or roms to roms for that matter, is never going to give you the best results.

Besides, no Moon Patrol  on the Cv 

903715[/snapback]

I wonder if anyone can put the proto rom on a cart like we see done with the 5200 games. I would love to have Moon Patrol, and PacMan on cart (if the price were reasonable that is)

903832[/snapback]

I'm sure it's possible but "Matt Patrol" is very slow anyway. I find it kind of dull because it seems to play at half speed in my emulator.

I'm with the 'own 'em both' crowd. They both have their strong points. The 5200 has gads of great mainstream arcade ports, and the CV has a lot of obscure arcade games that you don't see anywhere else. 5200 has Star Raiders and Rescue on Fractalus, and the Activision ports don't suffer from bizarre neon color schemes. CV has Wing War and the amazing Gateway to Apshai (99 eight level dungeons :lust: !), as well as a few amazing mainstream ports like Spy Hunter.

I never understand why people have to be either/or with these two systems. They're both great!

The 5200 is WAY sexier though. Gotta hand it that!

I vote for the 5200 simply because I never had a Colecovision, nor ever really wanted one (I was about as hardcore an Atari fanboy you could imagine back in the day...) A good friend of mine had one, but it never really impressed me. But again... fanboy... :)

Edited by Laner

Besides, no Moon Patrol  on the Cv 

903715[/snapback]

I wonder if anyone can put the proto rom on a cart like we see done with the 5200 games. I would love to have Moon Patrol, and PacMan on cart (if the price were reasonable that is)

903832[/snapback]

I'm sure it's possible but "Matt Patrol" is very slow anyway. I find it kind of dull because it seems to play at half speed in my emulator.

903959[/snapback]

Are you using MESS ? It plays perfectly for me! PacMan as well. :cool:

I've seen AGE pictures with the Atarisoft CV games on display on tables, maybe they are sold at these shows?? Or maybe via pm/email to certain individuals?

Also I think doubledown sells repo DK & DKJR carts with added levels, he might be also make the Pac-mans & others that are out if rom is available online??

Someone have the CV Pac-Man .bin? I have never played it.

904344[/snapback]

Here's a copy of the pacman, "super" donkey Kong and super DK Jr roms. All work well on real carts, but personally I think OpCode's Pacman collection is better than the Atarisoft Pacman proto.

http://www.opcodegames.com/modules.php?nam...showpage&pid=13

-Jeff

CVProtos.zip

Are you using MESS ?  It plays perfectly for me!  PacMan as well.  :cool:

904044[/snapback]

No for the CV I mosty use ColEm but I'll give it a shot in MESS. Thanks!

904343[/snapback]

I'm curious....the rom you have...is it Moon Patrol or "MATT" Patrol ? Mine is Matt Patrol, and the gameplay/graphics are spot on with one tiny exception...the tri-ball shaped ships that drop bombs that make craters dont look like they should at all. They are, in fact...womens bra's...WTF ??? :?