IGNORED

New Atari 2600 100% compatible system

Carlos_Lopez

Why would I want to get one of these if I have a 2600 with A/V and a Cuttle Cart? Is there another benefit?

Why do you assume that everyone already has a Cuttle Cart? I don't have one, and they're out of production. This would be a great product for people who didn't have a chance to get a CC.

Not everyone who would want one of these things has a computer with a USB port. Sounds strange, but there ARE people out there with older machines.

If it doesn't have a cart port, I won't get one.

Mike

913714[/snapback]

USB isn't exactly cutting edge. What are you posting from, just out of curiosity?

What if it has no cart port, but has another mess of built-in games?

Hmmm ... personally I don't see the point of a cart port. If you want a machine with a cart port, get a 2600.

On the other hand ... Perhaps what may have been better would be a machine in the way it has already been designed but which had an external flash cart. That would at least have paved the way for a smaller bundled cart that could be updated via the system's USB, but also the prospect of offering an adapter that allowed users to play their existing collection of 2600 carts.

Would have satisfied both worlds. :ponder:

Hey Zylon - the Cuttle is back in production.  Check it out here:

Schells electronics homepage

914206[/snapback]

It's a fantastic device, don't get me wrong, but at $200 the CC2 is twice as expensive as the CC1 and only works on 7800s so it's not really in the same class.

I would be shocked if this new 2600-on-a-chip thing sells for more than $50 and it looks like it will do most of what you'd want a Cuttle Cart to do. That's economy of scale for you.

Why would I want to get one of these if I have a 2600 with A/V and a Cuttle Cart? Is there another benefit?

Why do you assume that everyone already has a Cuttle Cart? I don't have one, and they're out of production. This would be a great product for people who didn't have a chance to get a CC.

913801[/snapback]

He didn't assume anything. Note his use of the word "I", and not "anyone".

Not everyone who would want one of these things has a computer with a USB port. Sounds strange, but there ARE people out there with older machines.

Mike

913714[/snapback]

USB isn't exactly cutting edge. What are you posting from, just out of curiosity?

What if it has no cart port, but has another mess of built-in games?

914164[/snapback]

P4 3.6 GHz, USB2, FW, etc. etc.

My friend has a PC with NO USB port. In fact his computer's so old it has a 5-pin keyboard port. But it does what he needs it to do.

Mike

Hmmm ... personally I don't see the point of a cart port. If you want a machine with a cart port, get a 2600.

A 2600 isn't going to have up-to-date A/V ports "out of the box" so you're going to have to mod it anyway.

Frankly, I don't see why they can't just put a cart port in there.

Mike

He didn't assume anything. Note his use of the word "I", and not "anyone".

I answered his question as if he were not egocentrically assuming that the needs of DEBRO are equivalent to the needs of the community. Please forgive me.

On-topic, I would buy one of these. But only if it has a cartridge port.

Mike

913714[/snapback]

Cards that support USB ports have been around for ages, and they dont cost much either.

It would be nicer if it had a cart port, indeed. Carlos seems to be implying that it's designed so it can be easily hacked for one, so why don't they just put one in now?

It'll be a great dev tool anyway. Testing homebrews and hacks on hardware will be possible for those of us who don't have a CC, KC, or Supercharger.

It would be nicer if it had a cart port, indeed. Carlos seems to be implying that it's designed so it can be easily hacked for one, so why don't they just put one in now?

I really don't know. I personally think they should include a cart port! :( I guess the reason is it will cost more to include the connector (even if it was $1 which I don't think it is), it will give a reason to retailers to not accept the product for distribution (since carts are not available) and what we already know about customer support.

Let's keep in mind that being a consumer electronics product, or a toy, it should be designed to meet a certain target price, not to have a feature that most consumers won't use (unless those features were added for hobby by the design engineers and don't add to the cost of manufacturing, like easter eggs).

Edited by Carlos_Lopez

I really don't know. I personally think they should include a cart port! :( I guess the reason is it will cost more to include the connector (even if it was $1 which I don't think it is), it will give a reason to retailers to not accept the product for distribution (since carts are not available) and what we already know about customer support.

Let's keep in mind that being a consumer electronics product, or a toy, it should be designed to meet a certain target price, not to have a feature that most consumers won't use (unless those features were added for hobby by the design engineers and don't add to the cost of manufacturing, like easter eggs).

918821[/snapback]

How much are cart connectors? I know some people here have built them, so maybe they'll chime in with a quote. If the cost would be prohibitive, yeah, it would be best to leave it as a mod.

And carts aren't available? The last time I checked, this site had a wide range of titles. Not to mention, most people who would use the port would already own games on cart. Any built-in games (will there be any? And if so, what?) will be new ones that wouldn't catch the eye of the casual nostalgia buff. Most people who would buy it already know where to find both ROMs and carts.

How much are cart connectors?  I know some people here have built them, so maybe they'll chime in with a quote.  If the cost would be prohibitive, yeah, it would be best to leave it as a mod.

mmh, I just did a search at DigiKey. Probably S1126-ND could work. It costs $1.22 (1000+). But the problem I see if that since the connector gets too deep into a cart it needs long pins, so this one might not do the job.

And carts aren't available?  The last time I checked, this site had a wide range of titles. Not to mention, most people who would use the port would already own games on cart.  Any built-in games (will there be any?  And if so, what?) will be new ones that wouldn't catch the eye of the casual nostalgia buff.  Most people who would buy it already know where to find both ROMs and carts.

What I meant is that carts are not available in big quantities to retailers. That's not a good selling point when trying to get a distrubution deal with them. You are right though, most people who would use the port should have carts. The problem is that they should be like 1% of the market for a product of this kind (I don't think they plan to sell a collector's or hobbyist item).

Even if carts were available, it's not like retailers are going to make space on stores to include a 2600 collection (and remove some PS2 or Xbox games). Space on stores is very competitive an difficult to get.

I hope RetroGames include built in games. Last time I heard those were their plans, but I don't know :sad:

Edited by Carlos_Lopez

I hope RetroGames include built in games. Last time I heard those were their plans, but I don't know  :sad:

919200[/snapback]

Which games could be legally included?

Would Atari or Activision be willing to cut a licensing deal since both of them have done their own similar products that compete with this?

Put games on there from defunct 3rd parties (Data Age, Apollo, etc...) and you risk having whoever technically owns the rights coming out of the woodwork to sue.

It seems to me the easiest way to get titles onto these sorts of things is to deal with homebrewers or just commission new titles from scratch. Then you don't have to deal with so much legal BS.

I hope RetroGames include built in games. Last time I heard those were their plans, but I don't know  :sad:

919200[/snapback]

Would Atari or Activision be willing to cut a licensing deal since both of them have done their own similar products that compete with this?

Put games on there from defunct 3rd parties (Data Age, Apollo, etc...) and you risk having whoever technically owns the rights coming out of the woodwork to sue.

It seems to me the easiest way to get titles onto these sorts of things is to deal with homebrewers or just commission new titles from scratch. Then you don't have to deal with so much legal BS.

919284[/snapback]

Well, there is another option: cutting a licensing deal with a company that hasn't done a similar product.

Imagic?

CBS Electronics?

Sega?

Epyx?

919200[/snapback]

919284[/snapback]

Well, there is another option: cutting a licensing deal with a company that hasn't done a similar product.

Imagic?

CBS Electronics?

Sega?

Epyx?

919290[/snapback]

Maybe the Quaker Oats people would be interested in licensing the USGames/Vidtec titles? Spectravideo and Technovision wouldn't be bad choices, either.