IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Sinistar Prototype Discovered!

Albert

UPDATE:

I have finally gotten time to configure the code and try to compile a ROM version of Sinistar. Progress is going well, but I have hit a slight snag.

The compiled code will NOT fit in a 16k cart. I am working on possible solutions for this, including bank-switching if I can figure out how to implement it. This is good news for a 5200 conversion, as I can use 32k for that.

Keep watching folks, I hope to release it soon.

UPDATE:

I have finally gotten time to configure the code and try to compile a ROM version of Sinistar. Progress is going well, but I have hit a slight snag.

The compiled code will NOT fit in a 16k cart. I am working on possible solutions for this, including bank-switching if I can figure out how to implement it. This is good news for a 5200 conversion, as I can use 32k for that.

COOL! I was under the impression it was a 64K game. Only 16K? Wow. 5200 version!! Drool....

Allan

Cool... I guess sometimes when you kick a horse it gets up and walks.

I'm not sure I like the inference here....

Oh please... I talked about kicking a dead horse in the previous post.

Talk about this project has gone on for a long time and it sounded like you might still be too busy to work on it.

I was just saying it wasn't a dead horse after all.

UPDATE:

Progress is going well. Bryan (author of Castle Crisis) has stepped in and is teaching me how to use the XE bank switching technique. According to the notes I have, Sinistar was supposed to be one of the first games to use a bank-switched cart for the Atari computers. Cloak and Dagger was another one. Once I get this implemented a ROM release will be ready.

UPDATE:

Question:

On Tempest's proto-site he mentions that Sinistar requires 48K to run. What does this mean as far as a 5200 version? Does it mean that the program was designed from the beginning to be split up into two 16K parts so that it could be bank-switched on the 8-bits and use 32K RAM but also be able to run on a 5200 which would have to switch back and forth from each half of the it's 32K ROM space in order to run in 16K Ram?

Allan

Allan-

The disk-based version required 48k, as the game was 25k in size. It would not run on a 400 with only 16k as there was not enough room for the program. Now that I have re-compiled the code to run on a cart, it will work fine with 16k and will work on the 5200. There will be no need to bank switch on the 5200 as it can handle 32k. The game is only 24k so that will work.

Edited by Dutchman2000

Allan-

The disk-based version required 48k, as the game was 25k in size. It would not run on a 400 with only 16k as there was not enough room for the program. Now that I have re-compiled the code to run on a cart, it will work fine with 16k and will work on the 5200. There will be no need to bank switch on the 5200 as it can handle 32k. The game is only 24k so that will work.

Oh yea, I always forget you have to have room for DOS. Great news on getting it compiled. I can't wait to play it.

Allan

UPDATE:

I think I finally have a handle on the bank-switching technique. It's going to take a while though as I have to go through all of the code making sure any jumps happen when the correct bank is selected.

Thanks for being so patient.

UPDATE:

I think I finally have a handle on the bank-switching technique. It's going to take a while though as I have to go through all of the code making sure any jumps happen when the correct bank is selected.

Thanks for being so patient.

Quick question: does anyone know who developed the bank-switching technique at Atari?

• 2 months later...
(bump)

So what's new?

Assume nothing unless posted otherwise.

QUIT BUMPING POSTS!

Tempest

It's no longer kosher to ask how a project is going???

Tempest

I prefer to "assume" that the individuals working on this project know more about it's status.

(bump)

So what's new?

QUIT BUMPING POSTS!

Tempest

It's no longer kosher to ask how a project is going???

Tempest

I prefer to "assume" that the individuals working on this project know more about it's status.

That would also be me (I'm in close communication with Ken). Sooo...

Assume nothing unless posted otherwise. :cool:

Seriously though, we'll post updates as we have them. We haven't forgotten about this...

Tempest

So at the risk of offending you Tempest is anything happening with Good Luck Charlie Brown and Turbo or are we to ne kept in limbo about those too? ;)

I can only speak to Turbo. Turbo is being "readied" for release, we had a little bit of a set back when a member of the team had to leave the project, but everything is back on track now. I can't give a firm release date yet though, but I'd think it would be soon.

No idea about GLCB. Once again it seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I swear that prototype is cursed...

Tempest

So at the risk of offending you Tempest is anything happening with Good Luck Charlie Brown and Turbo or are we to ne kept in limbo about those too? ;)

I can only speak to Turbo. Turbo is being "readied" for release, we had a little bit of a set back when a member of the team had to leave the project, but everything is back on track now. I can't give a firm release date yet though, but I'd think it would be soon.

No idea about GLCB. Once again it seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I swear that prototype is cursed...

Tempest

So how about releasing the unaltered version while folks are waitin?

So how about releasing the unaltered version while folks are waitin?

I think the original programmer had some very specific wishes about that.

Still, it would be neat to see the state it was in when the project was canceled and be able to compare it to the final release. I'm just curious as to how close it was to completion.

Tempest, could you ask if the programmer would allow that. We know it wasn't finished and it's not his fault they didn't give him time to complete it. Even if we have to wait till the final game it complete it would be interesting to see.

UPDATE:

I haven't had much time lately to work on Sinistar, some real-life events have gotten in the way (Don't you just hate that?)

I'm still trying to re-work the code so the bank-switching technique will work correctly. I know how to implement it, I just have to make it happen. There will be extensive testing to make sure everything works before I release the ROM.

UPDATE:

I haven't had much time lately to work on Sinistar, some real-life events have gotten in the way (Don't you just hate that?)

I'm still trying to re-work the code so the bank-switching technique will work correctly. I know how to implement it, I just have to make it happen. There will be extensive testing to make sure everything works before I release the ROM.

Thanks for the update, and all the hard work... Great discovery, however long it takes...