IGNORED

Atari 2600 emulator on PSP

Lunchbox11000

Ok... I finally got around to trying this (and emulators for the PSP in general). Surprisingly the TG16 emulation aint too bad! It gets the sound better than you hear in the xbox version for example.

However the 2600 emulation... well, it's cool, but the sound is off. But I guess that's to be somewhat expected since it's Stella which although was one of the first and best 2600 emus around, always seemed to just get the sound not quite right. Still though, it's a pretty cool novelty to play 2600 games on the PSP :)

However the 2600 emulation... well, it's cool, but the sound is off. But I guess that's to be somewhat expected since it's Stella which although was one of the first and best 2600 emus around, always seemed to just get the sound not quite right. Still though, it's a pretty cool novelty to play 2600 games on the PSP :)

948036[/snapback]

That port is based on Stella 1.4.2. We'll be releasing Stella 2.0 in a few days, and it has better sound support (slightly faster code, stereo sound, more accurate, etc). So there are definitely sound improvements in the newest code.

Unfortunately, the original PSP author is too busy to port the other goodies from the 1.4.2 version to the current codebase. I started another thread here, asking for donations to purchase a PSP so I can help with development. I haven't received any feedback (or donations), so the current version may be all that's ever released.

Ok... I finally got around to trying this (and emulators for the PSP in general). Surprisingly the TG16 emulation aint too bad! It gets the sound better than you hear in the xbox version for example.

948036[/snapback]

I could be wrong but the guy who ported it may have the sample rate set at 22 instead of 44. The mame ported to the PSP has the same problem. If you change the sample rate to 22 the frequency is halved.

As far as I know sample rate should not affect frequency, but it seems to do so on the PSP. I'm figuring this is the most likely scenario (probably done to "improve performance").

• 2 months later...

Simple question: are there any plans to make StellaPSP 2.0 firmware friendly?

I'm hoping it can be done, as there are 2.0 friendly emulators for other consoles (Genesis, NES), I was just curious if anybody is making an effort to that end.

(I'm dying to play some VCS games on my PSP but I won't downgrade it as I'm loving GTA: LCS *way* too much to give it up).

Simple question: are there any plans to make StellaPSP 2.0 firmware friendly?

I'm hoping it can be done, as there are 2.0 friendly emulators for other consoles (Genesis, NES), I was just curious if anybody is making an effort to that end.

(I'm dying to play some VCS games on my PSP but I won't downgrade it as I'm loving GTA: LCS *way* too much to give it up).

994059[/snapback]

I'm not sure there will be a StellaPSP 2.0 release. Our PSP developer has gone MIA, and I'm unable to help unless I can locate a PSP. I started another thread asking for donations for a PSP, but I didn't get any responses.

The maddening thing is that I could probably finish the port myself in about a week if I just had the hardware. Almost all the problems that the original StellaPSP author encountered have been fixed in the current codebase, since it was extended to work with WinCE (cellphone) and GP2X devices, which are quite similar to a PSP.

But unless I can get the hardware, the port will probably never be finished.

• 10 months later...

Activision Hits Remixed (basically Activision Anthology) is now available for the PSP.

Which is great for playing Activision games (I've already unlocked stuff from 3 games), but doesn't help with the other VCS stuff.

I've had to hack my Space Invaders rom to make the bullets visible (because the colour on the original made the game unplayable), and the sound still blows. Mind you the sound blows on the 8-bit emulator as well, which I'd rather see fixed first.

The biggest problem with emulators and homebrew games to the PSP is you may or may not end up with a dead PSP.

True, but if you know what you're doing(kinda) and go with software that has gained a lot of popularity then usually there's not a problem. It would kinda stink though if the Anthology required a firmware update. :ponder:

Activision Hits Remixed (basically Activision Anthology) is now available for the PSP.

Which is great for playing Activision games (I've already unlocked stuff from 3 games), but doesn't help with the other VCS stuff.

Right. I was just responding to the question that started the thread way back, which also asked if there were commercial compilations coming from Activision or Atari.

The biggest problem with emulators and homebrew games to the PSP is you may or may not end up with a dead PSP.

Modifying the firmware by downgrading could brick your PSP, but you don't need to do that in order to play emulators. Some emulators do require you to downgrade, but I was happily running a NES emulator as well as Grand Theft Auto: Libery City Stories after I got my PSP for Xmas last year, and the same can be done today if you're not interested in tinkering with the firmware.

If you do your research downgrading is no big deal. My PSP has gone from 1.52 to 2.00 to 1.50 to 2.71 SE-B'' with no problems.

Modifying the firmware by downgrading could brick your PSP, but you don't need to do that in order to play emulators. Some emulators do require you to downgrade, but I was happily running a NES emulator as well as Grand Theft Auto: Libery City Stories after I got my PSP for Xmas last year, and the same can be done today if you're not interested in tinkering with the firmware.

If you do your research downgrading is no big deal. My PSP has gone from 1.52 to 2.00 to 1.50 to 2.71 SE-B'' with no problems.

If you did your reading from GamePro March 2006 Buyer's Beware, you should realize I am telling the truth. If you get the wrong download, all of your firmware directories will be deleted and what you end having a nicely expensive paperwait.

If you did your reading from GamePro March 2006 Buyer's Beware, you should realize I am telling the truth. If you get the wrong download, all of your firmware directories will be deleted and what you end having a nicely expensive paperwait.

Zuh? Of course if you get the wrong download you'll brick your unit. That's implied in what I meant by doing your research properly. I simply thought you came across as overly conservative so I thought I'd provide insight into the other side of things.

PSPs can be bricked performing the legitimate upgrades as well after all.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's been replaced with PSP2600.

look here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54121

I can't seem to get this to work on my PSP. Every time I try to use it I'm told that the files have been corrupted. Any thoughts?

Bill

Yeah. what folder are you putting it in. PSP\GAME or PSP\GAME150

..it makes a difference.

It's been replaced with PSP2600.

look here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54121

I can't seem to get this to work on my PSP. Every time I try to use it I'm told that the files have been corrupted. Any thoughts?

Bill

Yeah. what folder are you putting it in. PSP\GAME or PSP\GAME150

..it makes a difference.

I put it in PSP\game

Bill

I put it in PSP\game

If you're using the newer OE-A, etc. firmwares you probably need to put it in PSP\game150

There's a PSP\game folder but no PSP\game150 folder. Do I need to make the game150 folder? Also, how do I know what firmware version I have?

Bill

I created a PSP\Game150 folder and now the PSP2600 game doesn't even show up on the in the memory stick menu under games.

When the program was in the PSP\game folder it showed up in the memory stick menu (with a very nice picture of an Atari 2600). Then when I selected PSP2600 I got the message "The game cannot be started. The data is corrupt". I downloaded them again and the same thing happened.

Bill

Edited by Merrick Bill

You can't run emulators for the PSP unless you first install one of the Custom Firmwares. From what you've posted here, you're obviously running on an official Sony Firmware.

There are entire websites dedicated to how to do this. www.psp-hacks.com is a good place to start.