IGNORED

Xbox price

Atarifever

Is this old news?  The Xbox is $299 and $399 at launch.  That seems reasonable.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131245.html

913239[/snapback]

Reasonable? You should check the forums at teamxbox.com. People are freaking over this.

As for me... I'll take the $399 one. No biggie. :ponder:

To me its a rip off..I won't spend over $300 for a system. If I were to buy a $300 system, it won't come with a HDD and will have a wired controller, then if I wanted the HDD I'd have to spend another $100 on that, still $400 for a system with no games. Or buy the $400 version. Fuck that.

I went to Gamestop today to drop my pre-order. I was the 7th person so far. People are pissed. I doubt MS will get my support with the 360.

To me its a rip off..I won't spend over $300 for a system. If I were to buy a $300 system, it won't come with a HDD and will have a wired controller, then if I wanted the HDD I'd have to spend another $100 on that, still $400 for a system with no games. Or buy the $400 version. Fuck that.

You know me and a friend were talking about this a while ago. It amazes me people were pre-ordering 360's blindingly without no knowledge of price. At my local Gamestop they were putting a $50 minimum rule on people just to keep pre-orders on control. Why would people give money for something you don't know the final price of (and no knowlegde of its final contents)? Can you image the interests Gamestop must be earning on all that pre-order money?

Still after all the fuss, I know people are going to buy it no matter what.

Edited by Dones

So, is this good or bad? I have no idea what people are willing to pay for stuff, because I haven't ever bought a system at launch. I assumed it was good because the "core" system can be had for $300, and isn't the PS3 going to launch at $350-$400. Then again, I guess any current Xbox fan would consider the system without a hardrive to be something besides an Xbox. In any case, I canceled my pre-order a week after I placed it; I decided I had too much I didn't know to keep sinking money into something for six months.

It's kinda weird... I'd heard that the PS3 was supposed to be pretty expensive, too. I didn't think that the XBox 360 (which Sony has accused of being an XBox 1.5) would have a similarly high price tag. If Nintendo were smart, they'd price the Revolution at $200 and really clean up when the next generation of systems is launched. System loyalty only stretches so far, after all... the Sony or Microsoft fan with only two hundred dollars in his pocket will still have to settle for the Revolution.

JR

You know me and a friend were talking about this a while ago. It amazes me people were pre-ordering 360's blindingly without no knowledge of price. At my local Gamestop they were putting a $50 minimum rule on people just to keep pre-orders on control. Why would people give money for something you don't know the final price of (and no knowlegde of its final contents)? Can you imaging the interests Gamestop must be earning on all that pre-order money?

Still after all the fuss, I know people are going to buy it no matter what.

913387[/snapback]

Yeah...I was kind of dumb to preorder without a final price, but I had only put $55 down ($50 system, $5 game). I was putting the rest of my money ($200) into a higher interest account at my credit union. So, I could draw the interest not Gamestop. One guy that canned is preorder had close to $500 down...wow.

I think the prices are fair & eventually the prices will drop. Dont we all remember when people were pre ordering the playstation portable for around 450.00 ? I thought that was crazy so IMO a home system should cost more than a portable gaming device.

$399 for the new xbox is fair and fine with me but I will be holding out for awhile on next gen systems.

Edited by ATARIeric

I wandered into an EB today and after bringing up my big pile of N-64 carts and el-cheapo PS1 games the clerk prods me about pre-ordering the 360. Being just overloaded with the current-gen and back the sarcasm powers kicked in.

" So, are they gonna run out? " I asked. He then told me that they have presold an estimated two shipments already and that the deluxe version was totally worth it. And that the starting retail price of the games are bumping up an extra $10.

Joy.

I've got a crapload of systems I'm feeding now and I just can't get that excited by what's coming down the pipe. I've been blocking a lot of the hype out too mind you. I have well over 50 titles for the PSx/Xbox/GCN that I haven't even touched. Somehow, another machine to feed seems somewhat . . . unappealing.

I was also happy to point out that even though I needed a walker to play my old game machine, I just spent $50 on 9 games v/s the 1 new one for $50 going on $60.

I think the phrase I'm looking for involves the horse they rode in on too. :D

Yep I'm bitter and should probably get some sleep before I hurt myself.

Hex.

[ You think I'm normal because I don't dress weird. You won't know what hit you kid. ]

Hmmm, that is kinda expensive, the price point of $299.00 without a hard drive, but I suppose with the current level of technology they need to charge more. Did I just say need? I meant want...lol.

When I bought my first Genesis, it came with a game and cost me $250.00. That was during the release date, so they soak up the money. I'm glad I ignored the Gamestop guys and didn't preorder the system.

Well, I say to those that have ordered it "good for you"..I'll stay away from the launch madness and stick with my PS2 for a few more years. I'm just getting into the system, have about 8 games now for it, and it works great.

Steve

Well, I was half right. The package at the price point which is being hyped is devoid of a hard drive or backwards compatibility.

Is the hard drive an actual hard drive? Or is it a flash drive of some sort?

Edit: $40 basic controllers (not the wireless ones). That's fucked on so many levels.

Edited by Gabriel

its just opens the door for other insanely high console and game prices, i pity parents this christmas. this is a really bad idea, splitting the market into premium and ghetto is just going to scatter the consoles focus. 60 friggin dollars a game, damn what kinda suckers are we? i'm sticking with the current gen until somebody makes the 360 pirate friendly, they're begging for it with that price structure.

For anyone complaining about the system price go to newegg and check out the price of three 3 ghz procs and the latest ATI video card. Be happy that you only have to pay $300. Microsoft is losing a lot of money on them.

BTW, no I wont be buying a 360. I already have a gaming PC. No point in buying another one that cant use a keyboard and mouse and plays games in lower resolutions.

For anyone complaining about the system price go to newegg and check out the price of three 3 ghz procs and the latest ATI video card. Be happy that you only have to pay $300. Microsoft is losing a lot of money on them.

BTW, no I wont be buying a 360. I already have a gaming PC. No point in buying another one that cant use a keyboard and mouse and plays games in lower resolutions.

913884[/snapback]

A. XBox360 is NOT an IBM clone. It's using a PowerPC-based CPU and a proprietary architecture.

B. 1920*1080 is a damn good res. In fact, its higher than 1600*1200.

Here's an idea for people who don't like the price: hold out for the release of the PS3, when by all accounts the price of the 360 will drop and some great games will be arriving. Also, you could hold out for the Revolution, which will probably sell for much less than either of the other systems.

I am a bit surprised that the 360 is not going for a lot less than the PS3 though. I heard that Sony is losing money at a terrible rate in every part of their electronics outside of the Playstation. Microsoft has enough money to bleed from the Xbox brand for at least another generation if it were to lead to them getting a big chunk of that growing market. I had thought those two facts would have led M$ to try as hard as it could to undersell Sony's product to grab a bigger share of the market and hurt Sony as badly as they could when they could least afford to be hurt. Don't get me wrong, I know Microsoft is already selling these things at a big lose, but I thought they'd be trying to make it look like they were giving the things away.

Edited by Atarifever

913884[/snapback]

A. XBox360 is NOT an IBM clone. It's using a PowerPC-based CPU and a proprietary architecture.

B. 1920*1080 is a damn good res. In fact, its higher than 1600*1200.

914048[/snapback]

A. I never said it was an IBM clone. Do you deny that the current Xbox is a computer?

B. That dont mean anything when your playing on a regular tv and considering how most americans (including myself) dont have a HDTV that means your playing at 640x480. No thank you.

...... this is a really bad idea, splitting the market into premium and ghetto is just going to scatter the consoles focus.....

913842[/snapback]

Just wondering.... was there a problem when Nintendo released the NES in two formats: 1) The Control Deck with just the NES, controller, and hookups; and 2) The Big Set (can't recall what they called it) that had everything the control deck did plus R.O.B., light gun, and Gyromite (maybe Duck Hunt was in there also.. can't remember)?

Just curious.

Mendon

...... this is a really bad idea, splitting the market into premium and ghetto is just going to scatter the consoles focus.....

913842[/snapback]

Just wondering.... was there a problem when Nintendo released the NES in two formats: 1) The Control Deck with just the NES, controller, and hookups; and 2) The Big Set (can't recall what they called it) that had everything the control deck did plus R.O.B., light gun, and Gyromite (maybe Duck Hunt was in there also.. can't remember)?

Just curious.

Mendon

914198[/snapback]

Nintendo wasn't expecting everyone to buy a Rob and a Light Gun (a hard drive and a LIVE subscription) to play the majority of the games either.

Just curious.

i dont believe they did that at launch though. IIRC the ROB set was all you could get at first and then ROB was dropped from the menu. the story was ROB was a trojan horse to convince retailers it was a toy set and not another video game.