IGNORED

Xbox price

Atarifever

Microsoft is treating the 360 like a pc which is just a huge mistake. And to think i thought 300$ was way to high for a system. I can now say without a hint of doubt that the Revolution and DS will be my only next gen systems for at least 2 more years. Four hundred dollars is way way to much and to think the ps3 might be 500$! I don't think i could say "screw that" enough. If they were in the 300$ range and had some kick ass games i might think about it but now just forget it. I think i would by far happier scouring for cheap x box game cube and ps2 games then wasting my money on such expensive systems. It's just not worth it, and i agree with company loyality only goes so far. And on top of that the system is still freaking huge!

Edited by sega saturn x

I'll get one eventually.

$399 doesn't seem all that outrageous really.

I have a boxed Jaguar with the sticker price on it.... $249.99 and the CD-ROM add-on $149.99

Hmmmm $399.98

And that was a decade ago.

I'm guessing the technology today is probably slightly more advanced then it was back then.

As a gamer, I'd be willing to pay the extra penny.

I wont even bring up the time I spent $449.98 on a CD-I system and a game disc. (I will say the new X-Box looks like it might be more powerful than that system)

Nope $399.99 doesn't seem bad at all.

Truth be told I probably wont get the system at launch.

Currently I have way too many games I haven't even opened to justify a new system. Maybe the price will have dropped before I decide to pick up a next-gen system. I dunno though, I played Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) at a demo station at TRUs and wound up buying the console and that game later on that month. Couldn't help myself.

What it comes down to, is if you're a gamer and a game system blows you away but a price tag of $399.99 in the year 2005 is too much to support your habit, you probably need to update your resume.

$399? It's really not that expensive. Remember the 3DO selling for $699?!

I probably won't buy one right away, but I will once there are a bunch of games I'd be interested in. Xbox 360 is a pretty cool device being able to wirelessly play movies, pictures, & music from your PC.

I remember it flopping hard.

Incidentally, by the time the Jaguar CD came out, wasn't the Jag down to $150?

Oh, and the Jag CD flopped even harder than the Jag.

There are two ways to look at this. The X360 can be looked at as a $300 with a $100 add on to make it effective (a problem the Jaguar never had). Or, it can be looked at as a $400 console. And most analysts I've read in news articles seem to believe that's a bit too high for a console right now.

914572[/snapback]

Right, but 3DO didn't have the resources that MS has. Trip Hawkins is no Bill Gates. Besides, there's a $300 difference between X360's $399 and 3DO's $699.

My point is that it's not unheard of for a console to be over $300. $699 is too much, but $399 is still good for a system of the X360's calibur.

914572[/snapback]

Right, but 3DO didn't have the resources that MS has. Trip Hawkins is no Bill Gates. Besides, there's a $300 difference between X360's $399 and 3DO's $699.

My point is that it's not unheard of for a console to be over $300. $699 is too much, but $399 is still good for a system of the X360's calibur.

914608[/snapback]

What calibur is that? The Xbox 360 is no more special of an upgrade in hardware than any other upgrade in hardware. The PS1 or PS2 didn't get to debut at $400, neither did the Genesis or SNES, or NES. What makes the 360 such a special jump?

What calibur is that? The Xbox 360 is no more special of an upgrade in hardware than any other upgrade in hardware. The PS1 or PS2 didn't get to debut at $400, neither did the Genesis or SNES, or NES. What makes the 360 such a special jump?

Please do some research before posting silly things like this. Bottom line the box will do a lot...and we're not talking graphics upgrade here. MS and Sony both have an eye on the future (As well as other big companies) to get a unit in your living room so the can have a multi-media bananza. Including Phone service, Television, Movies on Demand, Music, Internet ....Pretty much anything like that...They want.

There was a nice write up in Time magazine month back about this. I'd check that out.

If this is not something that interests you... By all means, get the $299 system which according to a lot of people isn't too high. Contrary to Gabriel's post, the $299 system will in fact play games, just like any console before it, and will be able to save games via flash cards, just like any console before it. It will do anything a console before it could but look amazing compared to the older gen (Just like we've all expected from next-gens) It's really quite simple and doesn't deserve all the negative input from people who have tight purse strings but still want all the bells and whistles. Just like a car, you want the bells and whistles you fork over some more $$$. Honestly there seems to be an awful lot of whiners about this.

Like I said, if you think $399 in the year 2005 is too high don't speculate or mention what analyst are saying , just sit back and hope the gaming industy fails so that you can say "I told you it was too much" ... I just wouldn't hold my breath ya cheapskates

Either consoles have previously launched cheap in America or lots of people on AA are very tight.

$399 is significantly cheaper than what the original Xbox lauched at in the UK. I really think that is a bargain.

I think all the moaning is due to thae fact that there are lots of anti xbox folk here on AA. This is something I have never understood.

Please do some research before posting silly things like this. Bottom line the box will do a lot...and we're not talking graphics upgrade here. MS and Sony both have an eye on the future (As well as other big companies) to get a unit in your living room so the can have a multi-media bananza. Including Phone service, Television, Movies on Demand, Music, Internet ....Pretty much anything like that...They want.

There was a nice write up in Time magazine month back about this. I'd check that out.

If this is not something that interests you... By all means, get the $299 system which according to a lot of people isn't too high. Contrary to Gabriel's post, the $299 system will in fact play games, just like any console before it, and will be able to save games via flash cards, just like any console before it. It will do anything a console before it could but look amazing compared to the older gen (Just like we've all expected from next-gens) It's really quite simple and doesn't deserve all the negative input from people who have tight purse strings but still want all the bells and whistles. Just like a car, you want the bells and whistles you fork over some more $$$. Honestly there seems to be an awful lot of whiners about this.

Like I said, if you think $399 in the year 2005 is too high don't speculate or mention what analyst are saying , just sit back and hope the gaming industy fails so that you can say "I told you it was too much" ... I just wouldn't hold my breath ya cheapskates

914729[/snapback]

Oddly enough, IGN posted the following chart today. The prices on the right are adjusted for inflation:

Atari VCS launched in 1977 for $249.99 = $811.21 in 2005

Nintendo Entertainment System launched in 1985 for $199.99 = $354.91 in 2005

SEGA Genesis launched in 1989 for $249.99 = $389.67 in 2005

NeoGeo launched in 1990 for $699.99 = $1041.12 in 2005

Super Nintendo launched in 1991 for $199.99 = $282.21 in 2005

Jaguar launched in 1993 for $249.99 = $328.69 in 2005

3DO Interactive Multiplayer launched in 1993 for $699.95 = $920.30 in 2005

SEGA Saturn launched in 1995 for $399.99 = $497.66 in 2005

Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 for $199.99 = $242.75 in 2005

SEGA Dreamcast launches in 1999 for $199.99 = $228.09 in 2005

PlayStation launched in 1995 for $299.99 = $372.01 in 2005

PlayStation 2 launched in 2000 for $299.99 = $333.15 in 2005

Xbox Launched in 2001 for $299.99 = $325.34 in 2005

GameCube launched in 2001 for $199.99 = $216.89 in 2005

What it comes down to, is if you're a gamer and a game system blows you away but a price tag of $399.99 in the year 2005 is too much to support your habit, you probably need to update your resume.

914470[/snapback]

Yeah whats wrong with all these highschool and college kids? Why don't they have high paying jobs? :P

I don't think $399.99 + $60 for a game seems like much to hardcore gamers like most of us, but a majority of the public isn't that harcore. I think most of the general public will be put off by the price. I think it will launch well just not HUGE.

I'm personally skipping this gen until the end of its life cycle. I'm going to load up on original xbox stuff when people start trading it in though! :D

I don't think $399.99 + $60 for a game seems like much to hardcore gamers like most of us, but a majority of the public isn't that harcore. I think most of the general public will be put off by the price. I think it will launch well just not HUGE.

914780[/snapback]

Which is why there is a core system marketed for $299. In case everyone missed this pass generation, the PS2 could not be kept on shelves for months, even after it's "shortage" at the price of $299. It outsold the GC, which was priced at $199, hell even now that the GC is $99, the PS2 STILL outsells it for a higher price. If you want it, you will pay for it, period. In this case, people have the option to spend less now and upgrade a little at time, or just go for broke, save $130 in the long run. Skip going to the movies a few times and there's your extra $100 for the total package.

Oddly enough, IGN posted the following chart today. The prices on the right are adjusted for inflation:

Atari VCS launched in 1977 for $249.99 = $811.21 in 2005

Nintendo Entertainment System launched in 1985 for $199.99 = $354.91 in 2005

SEGA Genesis launched in 1989 for $249.99 = $389.67 in 2005

NeoGeo launched in 1990 for $699.99 = $1041.12 in 2005

Super Nintendo launched in 1991 for $199.99 = $282.21 in 2005

Jaguar launched in 1993 for $249.99 = $328.69 in 2005

3DO Interactive Multiplayer launched in 1993 for $699.95 = $920.30 in 2005

SEGA Saturn launched in 1995 for $399.99 = $497.66 in 2005

Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 for $199.99 = $242.75 in 2005

SEGA Dreamcast launches in 1999 for $199.99 = $228.09 in 2005

PlayStation launched in 1995 for $299.99 = $372.01 in 2005

PlayStation 2 launched in 2000 for $299.99 = $333.15 in 2005

Xbox Launched in 2001 for $299.99 = $325.34 in 2005

GameCube launched in 2001 for $199.99 = $216.89 in 2005

914748[/snapback]

Interestingly, this kind of junk gets posted a lot on a Pen & Paper Role Playing Game forum I'm on. It's posted there for the same reason IGN posts such a misleading story: to make things look sooo much better than they were in those "bad old days."

Such a thing discounts the fact that in the U.S. wages have been proportionately going down the past few years. People have less disposable income.

Anecdotally, in 1995, I was on minimum wage. I could afford a Playstation 1 if I saved, and I did. If I was on minimum wage today, I couldn't even afford rent. Prices have raised that high.

All these inflation comparisons merely try to present a shock value price to make the current stuff look cheap. And it is always presented by those who have the most to gain by that kind of misinformation. IGN is far from anything even related to an unbiased source. They are a hype machine. And they are known to blatantly lie.

If it did prove anything, it could loosely show there is a general trend that as time goes on, people are willing to pay LESS for the next generation of hardware.

Atari VCS = 811.21

NES = 354.91

Genesis = 389.67

Playstation = 372.01

Playstation 2 = 333.15

I don't have a problem with the $299 or $399 prices in terms of them being too much money. I do have a problem with them having the harddrive being an option.

I'm really concerned that given they want the harddrive to be really important, they've been pushing all the customization options - soundtracks, levels, skateparks, whatever, that it seems like this is a terrible move. Where is the motivation for someone or some company to make extra content when only half the users could potential make use of it.

I think they should have made the harddrive standard, maybe had the optional stuff be the wireless controller, headset, 1 yr of Live360 and the remote.

I personally don't have an Xbox, but for the next generation I'm just waiting until Fall 06 to make up my mind after (hopefully) they all have launched. I'm really hoping to give Nintendo my money this time, but as always games will dictate my purchase, not the company name.

Wow, there's a lot of unnecessary name calling going on around here. When did it become a bad thing in a society founded on free enterprise to complain about something being over priced. If you go to a used car dealer now are you not allowed to try to get a good deal? If I think that I pay too much on my phone bill am I not allowed to talk to my friends about it? Also, when did discussing something you dislike automatically become whining...oh yeah, whenever it goes against someone elses opinion. Right. I keep forgetting disagreement is not allowed here online.

I don't have a problem with the $299 or $399 prices in terms of them being too much money.  I do have a problem with them having the harddrive being an option.

I'm really concerned that given they want the harddrive to be really important, they've been pushing all the customization options - soundtracks, levels, skateparks, whatever, that it seems like this is a terrible move.  Where is the motivation for someone or some company to make extra content when only half the users could potential make use of it.

I think they should have made the harddrive standard, maybe had the optional stuff be the wireless controller, headset, 1 yr of Live360 and the remote.

I personally don't have an Xbox, but for the next generation I'm just waiting until Fall 06 to make up my mind after (hopefully) they all have launched.  I'm really hoping to give Nintendo my money this time, but as always games will dictate my purchase, not the company name.

914812[/snapback]

Out of 30 million Xbox owners, only somehwere around 2 million use Live. Yet, there is still downloadable content, online only games, etc. So I really don't see where there would be an issue for anything if only half of the owners can use the hard drive.

Don't get me started on all of the accssories and the pricing of them. The Hard drive, while important, isn't for everyone. Hell, look at AA. Most people on here shun online gaming anyways, which is one main things the HD will be used for as far as downloadable games, demos, trailers, content, etc. So, if they are already bitching about the price, they would surely complain about needing a hard drive, then paying to play online, then (gasp) paying for content!! So, why then, would those people need a HD? Of course, from the sounds of it, you will need the HD to play original XB games, so if that's important, then it's going to cost you I guess, which sucks. I think $50 for a wireless controller, or even $40 for a wired one is BS. I also think that having so many accessories sucks too. I understand why it's like this, but I still think it sucks.

Look at it this way, Apple has made a killing on the iPod. It is high priced and always has been. But, when you are the only one who has what people want, you can do whatever you want until the competition shows up. In this case, MS holds all the cards. They can very easily make Sony overprice everything when they launch just by cutting the retail price on the whole 360 line.

And nobody should even bitch if games retail at $60. Everyones costs on everything has gone up lately, not just yours personally( not talking to you N8, just "you" as in a general statement :) ). These developers are giving the newest possible games everything they have for your enjoyment and they should be paid to do so. Nobody should have the gall to bitch about the cost of an indulgence of all things.

Edited by Starscream

Wow, there's a lot of unnecessary name calling going on around here.  When did it become a bad thing in a society founded on free enterprise to complain about something being over priced. 

914829[/snapback]

It isn't a bad thing, if said item is indeed over-priced. Not wanting to spend X amount of $ does not = over-priced.

Edited by Starscream

Also, when did discussing something you dislike automatically become whining...oh yeah, whenever it goes against someone elses opinion. Right. I keep forgetting disagreement is not allowed here online.

Where's the discussion? Some people don't want to pay $399.99 for the system. And they keep saying that over and over and over in spite of all the reasons people list as to why they DON'T think it's too much.... I dunno what peoples definition of whining is...but that sounds like it to me.

Maybe someone who feels the price is too high can justify their opinion? Maybe they can research the cost of the individual components that go into making the new Xbox, add them all up, and subtract that cost from the price that MS is asking and shock the boards with how bad we're all getting ripped off?

Maybe someone can list all the features available for the new Xbox and justify how let's say being able to keep a digital music library that could be used to fuel a week-end long party isn't worth the extra $$$ to them? (this is obviously just one example. Like I stated earlier The X-Box and PS3 will both be very rich in their multi-media performance, the convenience and the versatility of what I'd be able to do with this thing goes way beyond sitting down and playing a kick ass game . I dunno. Just saying "Jeeze I think that's too much money" and stating fiction as fact.... "people aren't going to want to pay that kind of cash"..... just sounds like whining to me...sorry.

You're right. In my opinion $399.99 for.... Not a game console, no sir these units are stretching way beyond gaming systems (Unless you opt for the cheaper unit.. which is fine because MS made it available).... No this is a multi-media center, and the price just doesn't seem that outrageous, but feel free to show me the errors in my line of thinking. Disagreement is fine, but if you don't have any logic to your negativity.... You come off as silly.

Edited by moycon

Wow, there's a lot of unnecessary name calling going on around here.  When did it become a bad thing in a society founded on free enterprise to complain about something being over priced. 

914829[/snapback]

If isn't a bad thing, if said item is indeed over-priced. Not wanting to spend X amount of $ does not = over-priced.

914841[/snapback]

Actually, if someone thinks the item is overpriced at X$, then they would not want to spend X$. I mean, if an item was overpriced as far as the market as a whole was concerned, wouldn't the obvious sign be that most people wouldn't want to spend X$ on it? I want to point out that I originally started this topic by saying that I thought the price was resonable, so don't anyone think I personally think it is over priced. However, people not wanting to spend X$ on something can mean it is over priced. I mean, I don't want to spend $100,000 on a car, but not every $100,000 car is over priced. However, if I specifically think that a H3 is worth less than $100,000 (because of it's piss poor ground clearance) and then I go see a H3 at that price, then I could call it over priced. If I think a videogame system is worth $250 and then I see the Xbox 360 core at $299 then I could call it overpriced.

So yes not wanting to spend x$ does not = over priced

But

Over priced = people not wanting to spend x$

So, people who are complaining here may very well think the 360 is overpriced, and it very well may be.

Also, when did discussing something you dislike automatically become whining...oh yeah, whenever it goes against someone elses opinion. Right. I keep forgetting disagreement is not allowed here online.

Where's the discussion? Some people don't want to pay $399.99 for the system. And they keep saying that over and over and over in spite of all the reasons people list as to why they DON'T think it's too much.... I dunno what peoples definition of whining is...but that sounds like it to me.

Maybe someone who feels the price is too high can justify their opinion? Maybe they can research the cost of the individual components that go into making the new Xbox, add them all up, and subtract that cost from the price that MS is asking and shock the boards with how bad we're all getting ripped off?

Maybe someone can list all the features available for the new Xbox and justify how let's say being able to keep a digital music library that could be used to fuel a week-end long party isn't worth the extra $$$ to them? (this is obviously just one example. Like I stated earlier The X-Box and PS3 will both be very rich in their multi-media performance, the convenience and the versatility of what I'd be able to do with this thing goes way beyond sitting down and playing a kick ass game . I dunno. Just saying "Jeeze I think that's too much money" and stating fiction as fact.... "people aren't going to want to pay that kind of cash"..... just sounds like whining to me...sorry.

You're right. In my opinion $399.99 for.... Not a game console, no sir these units are stretching way beyond gaming systems (Unless you opt for the cheaper unit.. which is fine because MS made it available).... No this is a multi-media center, and the price just doesn't seem that outrageous, but feel free to show me the errors in my line of thinking. Disagreement is fine, but if you don't have any logic to your negativity.... You come off as silly.

914845[/snapback]

This is where I think we're getting our wires crossed. I think people think it is an over priced games console, period. You can say all you want about it being the new king of the living room, but that doesn't make it a good price for people who want a game console. I mean, the N-Gage at $249 was a very very cheap symbian series 60 phone, but that didn't stop people from thinking that it was priced way too high for the market it was entering. I mean, if you added a space shuttle to the new 360 it would be a steal at $1,000,000, but people who primarily want to buy a game system would call it over priced. So, M$ is not charging more than they should for what they are trying to make, but many gamers may very well think this is too much for what they want.