IGNORED

FB3...

at this point if there isn't a holiday release of something aka fb2 portable or fb3 then they can just count on no sells from anyone i know. if it ever does get released.

fb2 portable is the make or bust moment for atari imho

Curt basically said the FB2 portable project was replaced by the FB3 (or something like it), which is coming out in early '08. There will be no FB2 portable as Curt stated except for maybe a prototype on eBay. But, the FB line is not the make or break deal for Atari in general. If it is for you and your friends, so be it. They are a business and they have to make good business decisions. The FB2 portable IMO was probably just going to be too expensive and too hard to support for the general consumer. They could sell it on thinkgeek, etc. in much lower numbers with an even higher pricetag, but would enough people really pay much more than $39.95 for it? Sounds like a good poll...

That said, I agree that 2600 was more popular back in the day. A 2600 based system would probably sell more than a 5200/800 based console, and as Curt said sales of the FB2 were good. However the FB2 has already provided people with that fix.

I think the only way the FB3 will get anywhere close to as similar sales as the FB2 would be to include a good subsection of games that had big sales cross-platform in the 80s that everyone has fond memories of.

no fb2 portable= no sale here on another retro atari product

suporting the fb3 will only allow this disgrace to go unpunished.

i'don't know that another FB product will have the same allure.

i mean how many of these things are we supposed to have hooked to our TVs anyway?

taking it portable seemed the next logical step.

any new flashbacks will only seem like a lateral move, especially to the retro community , most of whom already have all the vcs/7800s/5200s/800s they need.

a lot of people bought FBs for friends and kids as gifts ( including me )

i don't know how well buying yet another TV FB as a gift for these people will go over.

i would have bought these friends an FBp but i don't know that any new FB would be worth giving gift wise.

even with the ability to add games it will just seem like more of the same.

this is a major misstep i think

The introduction of the GPX2 might make Atari consider a hybrid Flashback 3 that is 2600/5200/7800/800XL compatible?

This has been my thought for a while now, but not only would it emulate these, but on a Linux OS, much like the GP2X. It's been my sig for a few months, now. I still am on that horse :)

Nathan

The introduction of the GPX2 might make Atari consider a hybrid Flashback 3 that is 2600/5200/7800/800XL compatible?

BTW Curt once mentioned an Atari prototype called Omni that could run games from different systems.

Yeah I saw a thread in which he stated that he had a prototype in 2005 that ran linux. I don't think that is what they are doing now though. Would be above the price range they were looking to market it in. Although I totally salivate over something 2600/5200/7800/800XL compatible, there is no chance to do that <$50.

I was thinking earlier tonight about someone's post from way back that just had a picture of a 2600. I think it would kick butt just to sell an atari 2600 in the old style case, complete with racing controllers, tennis paddles, and joysticks that has A/V output. Then they could include a cart with it (old style looking cart, but it would contain a memory stick) with about 200 games on it. Then they could sell more carts for about $10 a piece with a few hundred games each. At this point there is very little chance that anyone who has written a 2600 game in the past is going to get much money for it, and this might actually make Atari and the old game authors some money. If there is enough interest it might be cool to try to get a petition going for this (not that it would do much good, probably).

I'm saddened that there are so many people t'd off because the portable got tanked. I personally would like to have a portable, but in the end, Atari was about consoles, not portables. My fondest memories of it were sweating for hours to the point where I almost had blistered playing Armor Ambush with friends, and playing Race (aka Indy 500) with my brother. Those were fun games.

I'm saddened that there are so many people t'd off because the portable got tanked. I personally would like to have a portable, but in the end, Atari was about consoles, not portables.

I would like to see another 2600-compatible machine come out, in whatever format, hopefully fixing the FB2's quirks. Emulation just isn't the same, and without hardware assistance I don't think it can be. On a real 2600, there's a very intimate relationship between CPU timing, display timing, and audio timing. Emulation can't quite capture that.

I'm saddened that there are so many people t'd off because the portable got tanked.

Me too, especially since Curt never said the FBP was cancelled...he merely said "an advanced follow-up system" would take the "place of the original FBP design". Now, I don't know how secretive he's trying to be, but I'm pretty sure that if meant that the FB3 was going to be released instead, he would've just said so, since we all already know about it.

To me, "advanced follow-up system" sounds like an FBP with extra features...could be anything, really.

Also, don't forget this post: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1303818

"In the meantime another project may get the green light in the modern gaming arena ahead of the portable, I will keep everyone posted."

It's all very cryptic, but Curt has said that if anything went sour, we'd be the first to hear about it. He's posted nothing but good news, whether or not the final product will play 2600 ROMs, I'll still be happy. Anything coming from Atari that isn't a lame NoaC is a great idea to me, especially with Curt behind the helm.

I don't think anyone here has the right to be angry with Curt or with Atari over these matters. This is the reason why most developers won't leak any information at all until the final product is almost ready for release.

twocents.gif

he merely said "an advanced follow-up system" would take the "place of the original FBP design".

To me, "advanced follow-up system" sounds like an FBP with extra features...could be anything, really.

"In the meantime another project may get the green light in the modern gaming arena ahead of the portable, I will keep everyone posted."

The more I think about this 'advanced folllow-up system', the more I think it could be a 7800 or omni computer.

It's the 'modern gaming arena' console that puzzles me. The most modern consoles that Atari have made are the Jaguar and Lynx. It couldn't be, could it?

he merely said "an advanced follow-up system" would take the "place of the original FBP design".

The more I think about this 'advanced folllow-up system', the more I think it could be a 7800 or omni computer.

It's the 'modern gaming arena' console that puzzles me. The most modern consoles that Atari have made are the Jaguar and Lynx. It couldn't be, could it?

I guess we could speculate the rest of the year on what "modern gaming arena" means. However, to me it sounds like a compilation game for one of the current game systems (maybe some special controller to go with it?). I originally thought like you, maybe a new game system, but Atari just doesn't have the money to compete on the level with Xbox 360, wii, or PS3.

I guess only time will tell.

I'm saddened that there are so many people t'd off because the portable got tanked. I personally would like to have a portable, but in the end, Atari was about consoles, not portables. My fondest memories of it were sweating for hours to the point where I almost had blistered playing Armor Ambush with friends, and playing Race (aka Indy 500) with my brother. Those were fun games.

I'm not particularly saddened by the fact that the FB2p has been placed on the back burner for now. Atari has already released two systems which were either inspired by or directly represent 2600 architecture, and it's time to move on to some of Atari's other legacy products. The 2600 is great and all, but I consider the A8 platform to be Atari's (in whaterver incarnation) greatest accomplishment. It also has THOUSANDS of games available for it, which means that, if some type of flash memory is built into the unit, a literally inexhaustible supply of programs will be available. And just think of the protos that could loaded into it to appeal to both noobs and the die-hard collectors: a completed Sinistar, Tempest, Liberator, Zoo Keeper, and Elevator Action (I know they're out there!) :lust:

I have to agree that "advanced follow up system" still could mean portable.

I guess even a 7800 could be considered "advanced" when compared to the 2600 and it would be a likely candidate.

I personally never cared for the 2600 or 7800 and would rather see the 8 bit but I don't have any say in the matter.

Perhaps they are skipping the 8 bit and 7800 in favor of a portable Atari ST.

That would have some pretty decent games and if it were fast enough could even emulate the other systems.

The question is... could they meet the price point they wanted if it were an ST?

The gate count for a 680x0 might be a little much for such a beast.

Edited by JamesD

I guess we could speculate the rest of the year on what "modern gaming arena" means. However, to me it sounds like a compilation game for one of the current game systems (maybe some special controller to go with it?). I originally thought like you, maybe a new game system, but Atari just doesn't have the money to compete on the level with Xbox 360, wii, or PS3.

I guess only time will tell.

Ok, here is Curt's last post on this afaik for reference:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...00#entry1339391

The fact that he is considering putting the prototype up on eBay to me means the FB2p project was not temporarily delayed but was permanently delayed. Otherwise, why would it even be considered to give it up like that before it was in production?

Regarding the statement: "On the plus side, what was being developed for 08' as an advanced follow-up system has been moved up to the front burner and is being worked on now in place of the original FBP design... No details will be given/shown until after the New Year..." - there is no way that "what was being developed for 08' as an advanced follow-up system" is referring to anything other than the FB3. Just think about it for a minute. The FB3 project was farther along then anything other than the FB2p project, and it fits the description. The only long shot I could think of for those hoping it is a FB2-like project would be that they could possibly just mod the existing FB2 product to support a usb port. But because there was never any mention of doing that, I think it's got to be the FB3 (although I'd vote for a follow up FB2 system, just because I'm partial to the 2600).

For everything that Curt has said about the FB3 see this post in which I compiled all of Curt's comments that I found: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110891

I'm not particularly saddened by the fact that the FB2p has been placed on the back burner for now. Atari has already released two systems which were either inspired by or directly represent 2600 architecture, and it's time to move on to some of Atari's other legacy products. The 2600 is great and all, but I consider the A8 platform to be Atari's (in whaterver incarnation) greatest accomplishment. It also has THOUSANDS of games available for it, which means that, if some type of flash memory is built into the unit, a literally inexhaustible supply of programs will be available. And just think of the protos that could loaded into it to appeal to both noobs and the die-hard collectors: a completed Sinistar, Tempest, Liberator, Zoo Keeper, and Elevator Action (I know they're out there!) :lust:
Hear hear! As I explained at great length in my other FB3 thread, there's a lot more to classic gaming than just the tired, milked-to-death 2600 library. After the 2600 Action Pack collection, the Activision Anthology, the Atari 80-in-1, the Flashback 1, the Flashback 2, the Jakks 10-in-1, the Jakks Paddle, the horrid keychain games, and who knows how many other 2600 offerings there have been, it's time to stop serving up the same old refried beans and to give the 2600 a rest for a while. The A8 platform has the depth, the breadth, and the classic credentials to make an incredible Flashback system, and if the FB3 is indeed the follow-up system that has been placed ahead of the FB2 Portable, I'm absolutely delighted.

The fact that he is considering putting the prototype up on eBay to me means the FB2p project was not temporarily delayed but was permanently delayed.

Or the "original FBP design" has been changed, like he said ;)

...there is no way that "what was being developed for 08' as an advanced follow-up system" is referring to anything other than the FB3.

Not even that other mystery project (whether it's a console or game collection or what have you) that Curt has only hinted about? Like I said, I'm almost fairly certain that if he was working on the FB3 instead, he would've called it by name, since it's not that huge of a mystery project. Unless, like others have speculated, he's doing some sort of merge of the FB3 and the FBP.

But all this speculating will get us nowhere...all we can do is wait until 2008, and rest easy, knowing it's all in competent hands.

Speculation burns more time than waiting. :) I appreciate your positive attitude and don't want to be a downer. But here goes..

Or the "original FBP design" has been changed, like he said

That is not what he said last. He said "what was being developed for 08' as an advanced follow-up system has been moved up to the front burner and is being worked on now in place of the original FBP design".

Curt has been fairly open in the forum prior to last few months when Atari was having trouble, and the two projects he has talked about his team working on were the FB2p and the FB3. Never did he mention any hybrid system, and I don't see how they could advance the project that much and go into production for sale early next year with a substantial change in the design.

whether it's a console or game collection or what have you

He said it was an "advanced follow-up system" so it is certainly not a game collection. The earlier post you were referring to might have been a game collection, but in his last post Curt definitely said it was a system (console).

if he was working on the FB3 instead, he would've called it by name

That's a good point. Odds are is because it is not 2600-based so they have changed the name?

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

I'm really hoping it's another portable project. I really don't have a lot of interest in the FB3, I didn't own any Atari consoles after the 7800 so the nostalgia value isn't really there for the system for me. I was really excited for a portable 2600 and I know alot of people that would have loved it too. The idea of hooking another pseudo console up to the TV just doesn't interest me when they could just release the games through VC, XB Live or Sony Online and have less hardware involved. It seems like the $$ right now is in handhelds too.

I'm really hoping it's another portable project. I really don't have a lot of interest in the FB3, I didn't own any Atari consoles after the 7800 so the nostalgia value isn't really there for the system for me. I was really excited for a portable 2600 and I know alot of people that would have loved it too. The idea of hooking another pseudo console up to the TV just doesn't interest me when they could just release the games through VC, XB Live or Sony Online and have less hardware involved. It seems like the $$ right now is in handhelds too.

It is a portable FB3.

It is a portable FB3.

Isn't saying its a portable FB3 a question in itself? What is a FB3 to begin with? Is it the computer side of Atari, or the VCS side of Atari? Patience is wearing, I can tell. I'll buy whatever it is when it comes out, but the anticipation and "guessing" of what Curt is doing kinda bothers me. I know Curt has a job to do, but saying wait til next year is gonna make this board stir crazy. Maybe hes making an Atari system with downloadable games and an online community so people can play eachother around the world. Maybe hes making a portable that doubles as a bird caller and bottle opener. Maybe hes making up a new highly anticipated 10400, a honorable 7800 sequel that plays only 10400 games and 5200 games. Maybe hes creating a glow in the dark Atari Panther that runs off of solar power? We have NO CLUE. Guessing does nothing. Until I see it on the shelf at freaking Sears, its just speculation. Oh, maybe thats it, Curts coming out with a Portable Tele-Games system exclusive to Sears Wishbook catalogues!!

please refuse to speculate more wait till the smoke clears and the mirrors are shattered. he refuses to tell us straight up whats going on so we can only assume its just more of the same lies that he keeps feeding us.

curt dont give us the nda bs either. just tell us whats going on without the cloak and dagger antics.

I think the advanced follow up system will almost certainly be the 800/5200 sytem that's already been mentioned in other forum topics. A number of us have already discussed how an 800 computer with games and educational software could be hughly successful for Atari. An 800 computer would also be difficult to emulate on the GPX portable due to the lack of keyboard. A trakball equipped 5200 would also be difficult to emulate.

Whatever it is, I hope it's PAL/NTSC compatible. Not just because I live in the UK, but also because a multi-standard computer would be more economical for Atari to make than 2 separate versions for different countries.

An 800 computer would also be difficult to emulate on the GPX portable due to the lack of keyboard.

With the Break out board and a USB keyboard, it is easy for the GP2X to "be" an 800 XL, 1040 ST, C64 etc etc. Just needs softwear support, sure it's not very portable then!

The 800 XL has a keyboard routine on the GP2X, press one of the shoulder buttons, keyboard appears on the screen, use horrible joypad to select the letters. Not great, but it does work, and not many games need the KB anyway.

Anyway, I am going to buy a Gameport when they become available, and stay away from the FB3 posts until a real product is available to buy, cant take any more dissapointment when promises, dreams, hopes are shattered

Edited by mimo

please refuse to speculate more wait till the smoke clears and the mirrors are shattered. he refuses to tell us straight up whats going on so we can only assume its just more of the same lies that he keeps feeding us.

curt dont give us the nda bs either. just tell us whats going on without the cloak and dagger antics.

Sorry, but that's really rude. Curt has told us what he can tell us and I certainly wouldn't expect someone to put his job at risk just because you want more advanced information. I don't see any lies being fed, just a designer working with a company whose product lineup (and finanicial status) changes daily. Most of us here have jobs that give us information we can't necessarily share with others - you need to be greatful for the information he has been able to share instead of complaining that he's lying or being coy on purpose.

Most of us here have jobs that give us information we can't necessarily share with others - you need to be greatful for the information he has been able to share instead of complaining that he's lying or being coy on purpose.

That's exactly what I said, but nobody seems to be listening.

Methinks I'll just stay away from these threads until January...I've seen too many threads like this result in locked topics, sworn secrecy, and even cancelled projects. Not that this thread isn't heading towards lock territory already =/