IGNORED

FB3...

need a flashback seeing how I missed out on the FB2 due to lack of funds.

What's stopping you from buying a FB2? Or did you mean FB2 portable?

Odds are the next flashback (or whatever it is called) will be more expensive (but not much more though).

Not like anyone cares about my theories but here's the latest:

* atari 2600 console with cartridges that contain about 40 games each (a few best sellers, lots of "average" ones, a few homebrews, several prototypes/new games) OR

* atari 2600 + atari 800 console with cartridges that contain about 40 games each (fewer homebrews/new games than it would be if it was 2600-only console) (this is more likely considering what Curt has said previously)

And would be:

* packaged with 2 joysticks again

* have no paddle/racing games (no unlockable games like the FB2, but there would still be easter eggs)

* keyboard connection can be easily hacked on if supports 800

This model makes the most business sense, and Atari/Infogrames cannot take chances at this point.

Reasons:

(1) only having an atari 800-based console would sink like a rock

(2) portable is too expensive to make

(3) USB load is too prone to legal and support issues

(4) emulator-based console is too expensive and there are legal concerns

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

I think a 2600/7800 hybrid is a real possibility just as the FB3 was going to be a 5200/800 hybrid. I believe the original 7800 used to switch off the 2600's graphics chip though it would be interesting if a new 7800 would allow programmers to switch it back on to provide an extra bitplane for graphics.

I still like the idea of a 5200 with built in trakball. It could be plugged into a PC or Mac and used instead of a mouse. It might even attract a few die hard PC gamers.

or can at least say they saw Curt in the parking lot eating a candy bar?

Curt doesn't ride a car, he flies an Atari Force Liberator ship. No need for a parking spot.

Likewise, he was very clear nobody would be hearing about anything from him on the matter for a while because of the shenanigans that went on in the forums here. And the rest of us aren't talking either.

Edited by wgungfu

There were quite a few people who were very vocal about their annoyances, but that apple was definitely the one that broke the camel's back.

Yeah, that stuff was way out of hand.

It's like the people that are pissy with waiters and waitresses because they feel there some sense of entitlement to being a customer. I'll be the first to say that I complain if I get really bad service and you can tell the person just doesn't care. However, when you see how hard people are working, you know that they really care about the service, and you know they are doing a great job, I totally respect and admire that. Curt is definitely one of the good guys, and the FB2 was one of the greatest products ever made IMO. Yes, a good part of that is also because the 2600 was one of the greatest products ever made, but the FB2 could have sucked in so many ways, and it didn't, because Curt made it true to the original as much as he could. It was even intentionally hackable which made it way cool.

Well, I'll keep dreaming of the day when the new system is done. I can see it now. Curt kisses it before placing it in the box waving at it as it goes down the assembly line... it gets carefully handled with white gloves and FedEx'd overnight on a concord ... arrives at my house in a gift-wrapped box with a nice bow around it... Mmmmmmmm

Well, I'll keep dreaming of the day when the new system is done. I can see it now. Curt kisses it before placing it in the box waving at it as it goes down the assembly line... it gets carefully handled with white gloves and FedEx'd overnight on a concord ... arrives at my house in a gift-wrapped box with a nice bow around it... Mmmmmmmm

Or the other scenario - the factory worker at the plant in Taiwan does more than "kiss it" before placing it in the box, the gloves (which are white for another reason) are latex and leave vaseline smears, and it gets shipped on a trans-pacific freight ship next to the lead paint toys from mainland China.

And instead of a bow, the box itself is bowed from the overweight item (that's bound for your neighbor) sitting on it in the delivery truck. But hey, what's a little realism compared to your fantasy. ;)

Edited by wgungfu

hoooookay...

has anyone here BBS'd, ever? From what we already know, the FB3 would be a great BBS machine. And with a little creativity, you could even send games to other FB3 users. No emulator needed, you just make the games or demos, and load them onto your FB and log on to a BBS and say "Hey! Try this!' and the homebrew scene could explode.

Ah, talk about fantasy!!

MRB -

How old are you??? Shit, this is what is must've felt like when a my grand parent must've been asked "Whats a telegraph, is that a paper version of a telephone?"

LOL I'll join in the collective groan with that question. I guess asking if he can whistle a 300 baud carrier tone is out of the question as well. :sad: :lol:

Is the BBS some kind of text version of the internet?

MRB -

How old are you??? Shit, this is what is must've felt like when a my grand parent must've been asked "Whats a telegraph, is that a paper version of a telephone?"

Curt

Not to mention he sounds like he's confusing the web (which runs over the Internet) with the actual Internet. And yes, a bicycle is just a self powered version of a car. And a cow is a live version of a hamburger :roll:

MRB - very simply put, general public internet access didn't start until the mid 90's or so, driven mainly by the (then) recent invention of the Web. Even the Internet itself was new in the late 80's, growing off its earlier Arpanet roots. Before that (late 70's through mid 90's) what you'd do now to socialize (email, discussions, etc.) you'd do on BBS's (which have nothing to do with the Internet though during the mid through late 90's some started providing gateways to the Internet). A BBS (Bulletin Board System) was simply someone's own personal computer (Atari 8bit, Commodore 64, Apple II, etc.) set up with a modem and BBS sofware. A person would load up terminal software on their computer, dial across the phone line and call in to that BBS person's computer. Then via the BBS software leave messages on it (like what you're doing now in this forum), put up software for other people to download, read the latest text files, play simple text games, etc. etc. Then hang up so someone else can dial in to the BBS, etc. (unless the person had multiple phone lines and modems hooked up, which happened during the later years of BBS'ing). Then they'd check back the next day or later that night, or whatever (phone lines were usually constantly busy for popular BBS's) to see responses, etc.

I'd also recommend picking up Jason Scott's documentary to learn a bit more about the history of BBS's and what they were like as a "scene".

If you want to try it out, some AtariAge members have actual atari computers running bbs software and hooked up to the Internet so you don't need to call in through a modem (though the experience is nothing like connecting to it from your own atari computer and modem). You telnet in to the BBS's and their Atari computers think you're calling in to them through an actual modem/phone line. Here's three to get you started -

ainside.no-ip.org

darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org

Please don't tell me you don't know what telnet is though. ;)

Is the BBS some kind of text version of the internet?

MRB -

Curt

Not to mention he sounds like he's confusing the web (which runs over the Internet) with the actual Internet. And yes, a bicycle is just a self powered version of a car. And a cow is a live version of a hamburger :roll:

MRB - very simply put, general public internet access didn't start until the mid 90's or so, driven mainly by the (then) recent invention of the Web. Even the Internet itself was new in the late 80's, growing off its earlier Arpanet roots. Before that (late 70's through mid 90's) what you'd do now to socialize (email, discussions, etc.) you'd do on BBS's (which have nothing to do with the Internet though during the mid through late 90's some started providing gateways to the Internet). A BBS (Bulletin Board System) was simply someone's own personal computer (Atari 8bit, Commodore 64, Apple II, etc.) set up with a modem and BBS sofware. A person would load up terminal software on their computer, dial across the phone line and call in to that BBS person's computer. Then via the BBS software leave messages on it (like what you're doing now in this forum), put up software for other people to download, read the latest text files, play simple text games, etc. etc. Then hang up so someone else can dial in to the BBS, etc. (unless the person had multiple phone lines and modems hooked up, which happened during the later years of BBS'ing). Then they'd check back the next day or later that night, or whatever (phone lines were usually constantly busy for popular BBS's) to see responses, etc.

I'd also recommend picking up Jason Scott's documentary to learn a bit more about the history of BBS's and what they were like as a "scene".

If you want to try it out, some AtariAge members have actual atari computers running bbs software and hooked up to the Internet so you don't need to call in through a modem (though the experience is nothing like connecting to it from your own atari computer and modem). You telnet in to the BBS's and their Atari computers think you're calling in to them through an actual modem/phone line. Here's three to get you started -

ainside.no-ip.org

darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org

Please don't tell me you don't know what telnet is though. ;)

It must be pointed out in all fairness that people are here to learn from the elders of the AA community :) No genuine question should be left unanswered, and we're just yanking your chain MRB ;)

Well done for ** actually ** answering the question Marty :)

Karl