IGNORED

FB3...

Hey

How is the progress on the FB3?

I think it is stalled until Atari decides to tell Legacy Engineering (Curt and Marty) to start on it again.

Atari (well, Infogrames) seems more focused on new games, since they have brought on some new hires and appear to be coming back from the dead. For example, according to this article, Paulina Bozek left Sony for Atari and her new studio will focus on innovating and developing mass-market consumer games and services for online-enabled devices including PC’s and game consoles. Looking at recent news that seems to be their only focus now, but maybe I'm wrong.

It would be nice if someone would hire L.E. to do something else cool while we wait. The classic controller was cool- what's next?

Hey

How is the progress on the FB3?

I think it is stalled until Atari decides to tell Legacy Engineering (Curt and Marty) to start on it again.

Atari (well, Infogrames) seems more focused on new games, since they have brought on some new hires and appear to be coming back from the dead. For example, according to this article, Paulina Bozek left Sony for Atari and her new studio will focus on innovating and developing mass-market consumer games and services for online-enabled devices including PC’s and game consoles. Looking at recent news that seems to be their only focus now, but maybe I'm wrong.

It would be nice if someone would hire L.E. to do something else cool while we wait. The classic controller was cool- what's next?

The next "retro" atari branded product is currently a fuckin' USB CX-40 for the PC this Xmas, not exactly what I was looking forward to or expecting myself :ponder:

The next "retro" atari branded product is currently a fuckin' USB CX-40 for the PC this Xmas, not exactly what I was looking forward to or expecting myself :ponder:

Sorry to fuckin' disappoint you Shawn, then don't spend your fuckin' dollars on the fuckin' USB CX-40.

Wow, I used the word to put emphisis on the topic of the next retro atari product going from a portable to a pc joystick, you just went f bomb crazy.

Sorry to fuckin' disappoint you Shawn, then don't spend your fuckin' dollars on the fuckin' USB CX-40.

Wow, I used the word to put emphisis on the topic of the next retro atari product going from a portable to a pc joystick, you just went f bomb crazy.

That was my point, I was showing it was ridiculous to use the language. Especially in regards to at least being able to release another product, period, when there's been a dry spell because of their financial problems and management change. It has to start up again somewhere, and better the stick then nothing.

That was my point, I was showing it was ridiculous to use the language. Especially in regards to at least being able to release another product, period, when there's been a dry spell because of their financial problems and management change. It has to start up again somewhere, and better the stick then nothing.

Oh for sure, the sticks are a warmly welcomed for sure, I'll leave it at that as I think we both get what each other ment now.

P.S. I am buying a pair of the USB sticks for sure, just really lame on atari's part not to shell out for the portable as I know and you know and THEY even know it would sell at least or better than the FB2. When you got a product that is gonna sell even if your company is under the weather such a thing dawns a little ray of light they desperatly need.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

• 3 months later...

I noticed that in the interview with Curt Vendel , Curt was asked this about the Flashback 3(answer included as well):

Can you tell us why the Flashback 3 was shelved?

Curt: I was working directly with Bruno Bonnell on this product; he personally loved it and backed it. Just as we were readying to fund and start production his departure from Infogrames/Atari put the product on ice. I have the working unit sitting on my electronics bench in my office, I play it often.

What caught my eye was "I have the working unit sitting on my electronics bench in my office, I play it often.". I would have to admit, that is pretty cool, I just wish Atari would give the go ahead for something that is basically done. I know it is most likely not in a production case but, It would be pretty neat to see a picture of it. :D

However, I would totally understand if a picture wasn't able to be posted. Especially if Curt and the guys are still trying to get Atari to bite.

Please Atari, if you still look at these forums, Please give the O.K. to the Flashback 3 project.

Unfortunately, Atari will not be biting anytime soon. Infogrames is not interested in using the Atari brand on any more hardware at the moment. Their strategy is entirely towards downloadable game content and distribution.

Typical bass-ackwards approach by Infogrames. The Atari name is meaningless in anything other than the context of classic gaming. And while the name did have a few arcade hits to it (none of which are under the Atari umbrella they have), Atari is best known for the original home console. And what better way to make money off a download service than with a portable device that can play classic games downloaded from Atari for micro-payments?

Unfortunately, Atari will not be biting anytime soon. Infogrames is not interested in using the Atari brand on any more hardware at the moment. Their strategy is entirely towards downloadable game content and distribution.

That sucks :( Any chance of the FB2p or the FB3 being pitched to another company that would be more intrested in pushing one or both products? Would Jakks do it or one of the many other all on a stick companys?

while the name did have a few arcade hits to it (none of which are under the Atari umbrella they have)

I wouldn't say that. As far as arcade brands and series that were hits, they have the Pong, Night Driver, Breakout, Football, Asteroids, Battlezone, Centipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles, Food Fight, Gravitar, Millipede and Tempest off the top of my head. Unfortunately, the rest of the pre-split early 80's hits were Namco games. And I'm not counting hits by machines sold, ala coin's definition of a hit - otherwise most of their 70's games were as well.

I thought that arcade Atari walked off with all the arcade rights? Or is it because they had home versions of the titles that they got to keep rights?

In any case, only a handful of those titles are really powerful in the marketplace. Promoting something like Crystal Castles or Gravitar will get you little more than blank stares from the majority of the population.

Edited by jbanes

I thought that arcade Atari walked off with all the arcade rights? Or is it because they had home versions of the titles that they got to keep rights?

In any case, only a handful of those titles are really powerful in the marketplace. Promoting something like Crystal Castles or Gravitar will get you little more than blank stares from the majority of the population.

Arcade atari walked off with the arcade patents and roms. Consumer walked off with all the copyrights and tm's on all the names, characters, etc., and of course the home rights.

Arcade atari walked off with the arcade patents and roms. Consumer walked off with all the copyrights and tm's on all the names, characters, etc., and of course the home rights.

I tried searching for the arcade 'Atari Games' trademark but couldn't find it. Does Midway still own the name?

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc...ch=Submit+Query

• 4 weeks later...
Curt has mentioned that LEG may produce a FB3-type board but it will be called something else. As soon as he gets better and back on his feet more will happen. Working for Atari has stressed him.

Well, I'll add myself to the list. I'd buy several. A couple for me and more for gifts. Especially young relatives who might like to learn programming... Since I’m still into Atari I could send them whatever they need on a memory card…

Curt has mentioned that LEG may produce a FB3-type board but it will be called something else. As soon as he gets better and back on his feet more will happen. Working for Atari has stressed him.

Well, I'll add myself to the list. I'd buy several. A couple for me and more for gifts. Especially young relatives who might like to learn programming... Since I’m still into Atari I could send them whatever they need on a memory card…

Me, too, this is for sure. Something like that would get a bunch of people into programming that never would have before.

Curt, get better Bro!

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...