IGNORED

Atari 2600 Ixion Prototype Released

Albert

ixion.jpgAtariAge is proud to announce the release of the previously unavailable Atari 2600 prototype, Ixion. A port of the unreleased 1983 Sega coin-op of the same name, Ixion is an interesting game that doesn't seem to play like anything else in the 2600 library. Your goal in Ixion is to grab the five white squares scattered across the screen and spell the word Ixion before your time runs out. You must shoot or ram a brown sphere, which causes it to move around the screen, revealing hidden tiles that you can then use to navigate about. At the same time you must avoid the enemy drones that are attempting to destroy your ship, as well as the tiles you are unveiling.

If you're attending the 2005 Dallas vgXpo, be sure to stop by our booth where we'll be demonstrating Ixion on a real 2600. You can download Ixion here and try your hand at it in your favorite 2600 emulator. Matt Reichert has written a thorough review of Ixion over at AtariProtos.com.

• Thanks 1

I just loaded this up on my Krokocart and I'm having a ball! I still haven't recognized the Pac-Man sound effect that Tempest mentioned in his review, but the death sound is very similar to that in H.E.R.O.

Anyways, thanks again for releasing this. Is there any chance that this will be offered on a cartridge? I imagine Sega has long since forgotten about this closet classic. :?

Here's my best score so far on real hardware. This joystick is really aggravating my carpel syndrome... I guess it's time to dig out my Genny stick. :D

[edit]

A new high score, thanks to my Genny stick. BTW, I now recognize the Pac-Man siren sound... sorta. :) It's just different enough - repeated so much - that I didn't catch it at first. :)

I love this game!

Edited by mojofltr

I enjoyed a few games of Ixion the other night. It's a shame this didn't get released back in the day; it's a fun one!

It seems to me that the rise in difficulty is almost too gentle; I found myself wondering when it would get much harder, other than in the starting board having very few squares already filled in. Did anyone else feel that it was too easy in spots?