IGNORED

Atari 2600 Ixion Prototype Released

Albert

This is perhaps the BEST Atari 2600 game of all time. It's catchy, fun, the graphics are good, the colors are awesome, the bonus rounds are challenging if you aren't good at mastering that stupid brown ball thing, the replay value is great, I think the skill level is perfect in how it gets harder and harder, sounds are simple but that's fine with me.

This is perhaps the BEST Atari 2600 game of all time. It's catchy, fun, the graphics are good, the colors are awesome, the bonus rounds are challenging if you aren't good at mastering that stupid brown ball thing, the replay value is great, I think the skill level is perfect in how it gets harder and harder, sounds are simple but that's fine with me.

914932[/snapback]

That's a pretty strong statement, but after playing it a couple of times now, I am inclined to agree. I wouldn't say it's the BEST, but it's in strong position to be in the top 10. I'd say, hands down, that it's the best UNRELEASED game for the 2600.

It's really a shame this game wasn't released; it's more fun than about 90% of the 2600 titles that WERE released. It would be interesting to know more about the history, politics, etc. that went into killing this game.

I'd say, hands down, that it's the best UNRELEASED game for the 2600.

At least one of them. Very addicting.

But the scoring in the bonus rounds is a bit too simple. I want less points for each square and a hefty bonus for getting them all instead.

BTW: Anyone interested in a PAL conversion? :)

Ixion__PAL_.bin

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

When disassemling IXION for the PAL conversion, I stumbled on some obviously unused code (~350 bytes, duplicated from bank 1) in the 2nd bank. So there was some space left for maybe some additional features, music or polishing.

It might be cool to have the game use the AtariVox to say "IXION", when you finish spelling it out. :)

Another thing that I think would be cool is to have enemies fighting you on the bonus levels... and as Nathan (I think) said, have the bonus levels show up less often.

:lol: Oh wait, you just said it might be possible, you didn't say you were going to dig in yourself... Ohhh, Nukey!!?!

j/k ;)

Just out of curiosity, how do you pronounce "IXION"?

915291[/snapback]

I don't think I've said it aloud yet, but my inner monologue pronounces it ICK'-SEE-ON.

-Lee

...oops... wasn't paying attention ...again... mojofltr already posted that.

Edited by Thelbane

Alright.. so I found out the score rolls over at 1 million points. I've been playing this for the longest time. I've managed to pull myself away from Crazy Balloon to play this for hours.

ixion.jpg

Here's my tips on the game:

- Try for angled shots. You can shoot diagonally too.

- In the beginning stages you can shoot enemies with your gun, but in later stages it's better to use the ball to kill enemies.

- Always keep that ball thing moving. In the later stages it's important not only to keep killing enemies, but to keep as much as the floor open for you to move on.

- In later stages enemies shoot and regenerate fast. Keep moving. Try to shoot to hit enemies with the ball on an angle. This way you're not standing in front of them and they won't fire at you.

- On stages where you're on the bottom "island" as I call it.. shoot the ball immediately in a diagonal fashion. You need to get off this island or you're dead meat pretty fast. A level that's green comes to mind and one other I think.

- On just about every level (maybe even every level) the last white block you need to get ends up on the right hand side everytime. Remember that, use it to your advantage, and keep that floor space open.

Happy Ixion'ing all!

Alright.. so I found out the score rolls over at 1 million points.

IMO the scoring is too high and that should be easy to fix. I doubt the current scoring was meant to be final.

- On just about every level (maybe even every level) the last white block you need to get ends up on the right hand side everytime. Remember that,  use it to your advantage, and keep that floor space open.

I noticed that too. Probably that's also something which would have been fixed during final game play polishing.

Cool. I'm so pleased that everyone is having fun with this proto that, er, was just sitting in my garage for 'bout 10 years. :ponder: :)

I'd really like to thank my old friend Fred, who worked at SEGA in those early days, for giving me the cart and copies of some listings from his days at SEGA. It was 10 years ago that I first showed some interest in trying to code for the 2600 and he was trying to help me out. What a nice guy!

I think that some of the listings are interesting because of the names they gave the various TIA registers. It's clear that SEGA reverse engineered the system.

Thanks to Al, for getting the ROM public.

Cool. I'm so pleased that everyone is having fun with this proto that, er, was just sitting in my garage for 'bout 10 years.  :ponder:  :)

I'd really like to thank my old friend Fred, who worked at SEGA in those early days, for giving me the cart and copies of some listings from his days at SEGA. It was 10 years ago that I first showed some interest in trying to code for the 2600 and he was trying to help me out. What a nice guy!

I think that some of the listings are interesting because of the names they gave the various TIA registers. It's clear that SEGA reverse engineered the system.

Thanks to Al, for getting the ROM public.

916495[/snapback]

are boxed copies of this game going to be sold? (i sure hope so!) we (NWCGE) have been wanting to do it, BUT have had our hands tied from day one (over a year ago). :roll:

Rick

The game plays better on the real hardware than it does in emulation, I think. Mainly because I can't get any joysticks to work with MacStella, even with the Stelladaptor I bought at the Dallas VGXPO. And the game doesn't play all that well with a keyboard. Playing the game on a real 2600 at the VGXPO was fantastic. Nothing beats the real thing.

The game plays better on the real hardware than it does in emulation, I think. Mainly because I can't get any joysticks to work with MacStella, even with the Stelladaptor I bought at the Dallas VGXPO. And the game doesn't play all that well with a keyboard. Playing the game on a real 2600 at the VGXPO was fantastic. Nothing beats the real thing.

916693[/snapback]

I use the Stelladaptor all the time in OS X with the latest version of Stella. Are you running OS X? You can download the latest version of Stella here.

..Al

I'd say, hands down, that it's the best UNRELEASED game for the 2600.

At least one of them. Very addicting.

But the scoring in the bonus rounds is a bit too simple. I want less points for each square and a hefty bonus for getting them all instead.

BTW: Anyone interested in a PAL conversion? :)

915084[/snapback]

I'm glad this finally got released. Alot of of folks at CGE were asking how I finally got it out. Looks like someone did some other leg work. Thanks Albert, Tempest(?) :)

Yes, I love the game. A bit too easy, but an original concept that can possibly be tweaked by someone like Thomas.

Regards,

-Lee

The keyboard works great for me. That's all I have is Stella. Maybe it's because MAC's stink?!

916693[/snapback]

When disassemling IXION for the PAL conversion, I stumbled on some obviously unused code (~350 bytes, duplicated from bank 1) in the 2nd bank. So there was some space left for maybe some additional features, music or polishing.

915215[/snapback]

Have you decided whether you are going to change or add anything to this? I think that lowering the score values and making the bonus rounds more challenging would be interesting.