IGNORED

Do you / Did you own BattleSphere?

justclaws

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you / Did you own BattleSphere?

• BattleSphere? I'm not interested.
    • I'm still looking for a BattleSphere!
    • I have the original BattleSphere.
    • I have >1 original BattleSpheres.
    • I have BattleSphere Gold.
    • I have >1 BattleSphere Golds.
    • I have 3 or more BattleSpheres, lucky me.
    • I sold my BattleSphere stuff, I needed the cash.
    • I sold my BattleSphere stuff, I got bored with it.
    • I'm hoping for a cheap port on another console.
    • I have one of each

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I had an original Battlesphere, which I had looked forward to for a loooooong time. By the time it finally came out, it was way too little, way too late for me, especially for $80, with no Jag buddies to play with, even if I had managed to score the expensive networking hardware. I liberated it on Ebay for the same $ I paid for it, which I thought was a noble move, since the 4Play guys were giving their profits to diabetes research at the time.

Why didn't I like it? By the time it came out, the "pyoo pyoo" Star Raiders sounds were just plain lame, as were the MOD-based music files. The digital controls, while adequate, were limited, and the shaded polygon graphics were kinda retro-looking by 2000. That's just the Jaguar's hardware limitations, though.

There was also tons of competition, most of which did it better than B.S. We also had 4 different X-Wing games on PC, all of which were superior, Colony Wars I and II on the PSX (III a few months later), Starlancer on Dreamcast and PC, Rogue Squadron and Starfox on the N64, Darklight Conflict on Saturn and PSX, Wing Commander 3 and 4, StarFighter on Sat/PSX/3DO, and just a year later, Star Wars Starfighter on PS2.

I wish there were a nice online space shooter for the XBOX -- problem is, most of these games just come down to a turn-fest, which isn't that great in practice. Crimson Skies is great, and Battlefront II will probably be even better.

BS:G here...paid big $$$ for a sealed one from Tbird on eBay.

Is it worth $500? Of course not...no game is. Is it a good game? Yep...certainly one of the Jag's best. Since $500 was about the going rate, that's what I paid...and I for one felt better giving that money to someone who actually put the effort into the game than to someone else.

I also picked up a Catbox (and a couple of Jaglink IIs) just in the vain hope of finding someone else to play with.

I have one of each and do not play either. If someone wants to offer me the right amount of cash, I'd sell. *HINT: I sold Bounty Bob Strikes Back for the 5200 sealed even though I knew I'd never get another again for the $20 I bought it for because I was able to sell it for a lot more than that. :evil:

Hello,

This survey already proves how rare BattleSphere is, anyway,

no matter what the different opinions and digressions tell us...

Around 30 people have it at present, from 70 responses to-date,

although quite a few of those 30 people have multiple copies too.

In contrast, at the time of writing, 91 people each reported having

a JaguarCD unit. More people are searching for BattleSphere though,

but that would figure, because JagCD's are widely available anyway.

23 people of those 91 report having multiple JagCD units, lucky ones.

Spread the word, and we'll learn even more about the Jag community!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Edited by justclaws

I was one of the original recipients of BS Gold but was dissapointed with it when it arrived so I sold it to TXG (at cost) about 3 weeks later.

Funny, it always looks good in the video clips and when other people play it but I found the control method was a big dissapointment espically the spin/rotate as you could not line ships up for stafffing moves as IIRC it limits you to half or full rotation, when you need free rotation and the Elite control method is even worse.

Oh and the moving stars in the background make me ill, which is strange as they dont when I play Tie Fighter - perhaps BS has more stars or Tie Fighter keeps me too busy to notice them, anyway suffers of motion sickness beware!

I would have liked to have played it with my analog stick but had sold it by the time I had finished the conversion.

Personally I think its probably only worth the $75 the first run of BS (original) were selling for but no more, if I could pick up a copy for that I would add it to my collection and try perservering with it although there is probably more chance of Hell freezing over twice than anyone being able to pick up a copy for that price.

I was one of the original recipients of BS Gold but was dissapointed with it when it arrived so I sold it to TXG (at cost) about 3 weeks later.

Funny, it always looks good in the video clips and when other people play it but I found the control method was a big dissapointment espically the spin/rotate as you could not line ships up for stafffing moves as IIRC it limits you to half or full rotation, when you need free rotation and the Elite control method is even worse.

Oh and the moving stars in the background make me ill, which is strange as they dont when I play Tie Fighter - perhaps BS has more stars or Tie Fighter keeps me too busy to notice them, anyway suffers of motion sickness beware!

I would have liked to have played it with my analog stick but had sold it by the time I had finished the conversion.

Personally I think its probably only worth the $75 the first run of BS (original) were selling for but no more, if I could pick up a copy for that I would add it to my collection and try perservering with it although there is probably more chance of Hell freezing over twice than anyone being able to pick up a copy for that price.

922221[/snapback]

Did you play it with the Pro Controller? I find the control abit better with the rotate on the shoulder buttons.

I usually get motion sickness from FPS, but have no problem with space shooters, and BSG doesn't make me sick.

How does the analog stick work? Does BSG support it?

922221[/snapback]

Did you play it with the Pro Controller? I find the control abit better with the rotate on the shoulder buttons.

I usually get motion sickness from FPS, but have no problem with space shooters, and BSG doesn't make me sick.

How does the analog stick work? Does BSG support it?

922387[/snapback]

Yes, both games support it. I used the DKG Flight Stick with it and it was AWESOME......

Did you play it with the Pro Controller?  I find the control abit better with the rotate on the shoulder buttons.

How does the analog stick work?  Does BSG support it?

922387[/snapback]

IIRC I did try a Pro controller and did not faind any signifcant improvement, however it was nearly two and a half years ago and usually can't remember what I did last week.

As for the Joystick all you have to do is convert a PC gameport style stick to proved a voltage output as opposed to the usual current output and then built an interface circuit to generate the A, B, C button inputs form the joystick as well as allowing access to the JagPads keypad - simple :!:

IIRC I did try a Pro controller and did not faind any signifcant improvement, however it was nearly two and a half years ago and usually can't remember what I did last week.

As for the Joystick all you have to do is convert a PC gameport style stick to proved a voltage output as opposed to the usual current output and then built an interface circuit to generate the A, B, C button inputs form the joystick as well as allowing access to the JagPads keypad - simple :!:

923661[/snapback]

Simple :? Not to a simpleton like me! Sounds like a good DIY project though, I wish someone write up a guide and I would be all over it like bees on honey! :D

I had both Battlesphere original and BS Gold at one time. However, I noticed that it seemed like BS Gold had everything the original version had, plus more, I sold my original Battlesphere. I like the game, but since I got nobody else to network with, when I play it it's usually "Alone Against the Empire," and I usually stink at it! It's tempting for me to sell it since I know it fetches good money, but since I like the game, I would probably miss it, even though I don't really play it alot. For the right price, and if I really need the money, it would be gone...

I had both Battlesphere original and BS Gold at one time.  However, I noticed that it seemed like BS Gold had everything the original version had, plus more, I sold my original Battlesphere.  I like the game, but since I got nobody else to network with, when I play it it's usually "Alone Against the Empire," and I usually stink at it!  It's tempting for me to sell it since I know it fetches good money, but since I like the game, I would probably miss it, even though I don't really play it alot.  For the right price, and if I really need the money, it would be gone...

924226[/snapback]

My feeling on selling is, if I sell it, I will probably want another later. So for that reason I hold off on selling.

I think the recent Willy Wonka movie said it best:

Charlie: "... A person offered me $500 for this golden ticket.. we need the money more."

Charlie's Grandfather: " Charlie, every day people manufacture money. Lots and lots of money. However, that ticket you have is one of five, and once it's gone there will be no more. And why would want to trade that for something as common as money?"

923661[/snapback]

Simple :? Not to a simpleton like me! Sounds like a good DIY project though, I wish someone write up a guide and I would be all over it like bees on honey! :D

924141[/snapback]

Well if I ever manage to make a start on version two I might post up instructions and circuit diagrams for the original although don't expect anything untill at least the middle of next year if at all.

Battlesphere looks like a pretty solid game but due it's limited availability and the fact that it goes between $450.00 - $500.00 makes it very easy for me to pass this one over. No game is worth that price. For that amount of money I will be able to complete my already growing 50 plus Jaguar games collection and other Jaguar (reasonablly priced) collectibles. Well, that's my two cents. :)

Best Regards,

Doug

Currently playing "DEFENDER 2000" for the fabulous Atari Jaguar Multimedia Console.

Edited by Atari_Jaguar

Hello,

Battlesphere looks like a pretty solid game but due it's limited availability and the fact that it goes between $450.00 - $500.00 makes it very easy  for me to pass this one over. No game is worth that price. For that amount of money I will be able to complete my already growing 50 plus Jaguar games collection and other Jaguar (reasonablly priced) collectibles. Well, that's my two cents.   
Have you ever played BattleSphere yourself?

(If not, then let's hope there's a Jagfest in the USA this year, and you can attend.)

If I had to buy the game for that money now, I'd not have it either, just as I don't

have an Xbox with that expensive (but amazing?) Iron Soldier type Mech Game...

I only hope the price bubble will burst, if speculators sell off their carts to real fans!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I'm also in the camp of looking for it, _BUT_ I refuse to pay $450+ for one. Maybe $75 or so would be within my realm of a tolerable price for a complete copy. I am not gonna hold my breath though. While my wallet may be tight, I can be pragmatic about it. :)

I doubt that there ever will be a true bubble burst. In my experience, collectors are quite capable of being as greedy as the middle-market resellers can be. Best case scenario I'd wager a $50 to $75 price drop at most.

As for your Xbox comparison; At least with the $150 Steel Battallion game you get the uber-controller with it. Even then, it's _still_ cheaper than Battlesphere by $300. That's a system, one new release and some accessories with change to spare.

Now what it does fall into the price range of is Neo-Geo carts which are mondo expensive. There you are paying massive amounts of money for an arcade perfect game by SNK. This is the closest analog you can draw for the pricetag and I bet I could potentially argue that point.

It's a shame that excellent games (I guess it's excellent, I can't afford it) like this have been produced in such small quantities and there is no apparent interest on the rightsholder side to make any more supply available even though demand is apparantly there. Makes me think of Panzer Dragoon Saga or Boing! (I _know_ Boing! is good at least because I have it and can play it for real or on emu. :D ) It would be nice to see a bit more of the demand filled in, but again, economics and the laws in our area will prevent such things.

Kinda sad really.

Hex.

[ Will just have to 'drive' his mech downtown for some beer to cry in . . . ]