IGNORED

New Release Date for FB2

Just wanted to let everyone know that I spoke to Jason at Atari and they are fixing the sound issue and will release the system now on 10/03/05 or 10/05/05. They are aware of the sound issue and have decided to make a good impression. If you buy the units that are out now they will have issues.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I spoke to Jason at Atari and they are fixing the sound issue and will release the system now on 10/03/05 or 10/05/05.  They are aware of the sound issue and have decided to make a good impression.  If you buy the units that are out now they will have issues.

916983[/snapback]

Awesome - I'll have to wait to pick up another one (already have 2). Did Jason mention anything about fixing the bugs in the new games?

Who is Jason?

as for "they"...

My engineers and I picked up the sound issue immediately after the initial samples came into the engineering offices for review. The sound issue was fixed several weeks ago as already stated in other threads, an initial batch of units in the first shipment - to Walmart, had the Quadrun voice sound missing, this was picked up during production and corrected within days, all other shipments that have gone out (the 2nd and 3rd shipments to Walmart, all Target, Best Buy, Circuit City and Sears shipments all have the corrected revB chips in them...)

The later release date has nothing to do with the sound issue, but rather retailers getting proper paperwork across to have their shipments placed onto the cargo ships and scheduling into the CA. marine docks and queueing them for off-loading and delivery. Walmart only got their initial shipments because they had 80K units airshipped to their Dist Centers to get a jump on everyone else.

Curt

Just wanted to let everyone know that I spoke to Jason at Atari and they are fixing the sound issue and will release the system now on 10/03/05 or 10/05/05.  They are aware of the sound issue and have decided to make a good impression.  If you buy the units that are out now they will have issues.

916983[/snapback]

My engineers and I picked up the sound issue immediately after the initial samples came into the engineering offices for review.  The sound issue was fixed several weeks ago as already stated in other threads, an initial batch of units in the first shipment - to Walmart, had the Quadrun voice sound missing, this was picked up during production and corrected within days, all other shipments that have gone out (the 2nd and 3rd shipments to Walmart, all Target, Best Buy, Circuit City and Sears shipments all have the corrected revB chips in them...)

The unit I received from 8bitclassics in Wisconsin does not have voice on Quadrun.

The later release date has nothing to do with the sound issue, but rather retailers getting proper paperwork across to have their shipments placed onto the cargo ships and scheduling into the CA. marine docks and queueing them for off-loading and delivery.

917008[/snapback]

Hmm! Does the delay mean there will be time to fix other issues identified (HMOVE bars, for instance)?

EDIT: Aha, no it does not: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ndpost&p=917013

Edited by Jacob Rose

Well, I'll have to admit that there was some speculation on my part. Jason is one of the people that I left a message for in the sales department at Atari in New York, he was kind enough to write back and stated that the new release date would be 10/5. Now the speculation was that everything before that that had been released had problems...I'm not sure if it will or won't but I'll wait till after October to make sure that at least my unit will be with the upgraded chip. Honestly, I haven't read through all the threads, but I haven't heard of anyone yet getting a correctly working version...either I read no voice or I read abpit scrolling problems, missing sounds etc. Does anyone out there actually have a version with voice working? When I first saw the problems listed I almost screamed in horror as I learned my lesson with Atari Flashback I which at best I will say is a horrible rendition of the classic 2600 collection on it, not to mention the 7800 selection. I really hope that Atari does get it right on 10/5, I'm really looking forward to a complete, perfectly working system.

Dan

Jason in the Sales Department? Hmmmm...... still not registering and I know of no one you mention, have a last name?

Curt

Well, I'll have to admit that there was some speculation on my part.  Jason is one of the people that I left a message for in the sales department at Atari in New York, he was kind enough to write back and stated that the new release date would be 10/5.  Now the speculation was that everything before that that had been released had problems...I'm not sure if it will or won't but I'll wait till after October to make sure that at least my unit will be with the upgraded chip.  Honestly, I haven't read through all the threads, but I haven't heard of anyone yet getting a correctly working version...either I read no voice or I read abpit scrolling problems, missing sounds etc.  Does anyone out there actually have a version with voice working?  When I first saw the problems listed I almost screamed in horror as I learned my lesson with Atari Flashback I which at best I will say is a horrible rendition of the classic 2600 collection on it, not to mention the 7800 selection.  I really hope that Atari does get it right on 10/5, I'm really looking forward to a complete, perfectly working system.

Dan

917391[/snapback]

So these first 80K units are completely different from the next 780K (I read 860K of ROMs run on another thread?)... and of the 80K, there are 2 variations (diff versions of Millipede)... hmm. Now I feel special to have one :D

Hey Curt-

RevB has the Millipede problem fixed, right? (rolling screen)

Is Wal-Mart going to accept returns/trades when the good units arrive (or are we screwed)?

918085[/snapback]

Does that $30 investment really hurt that bad? there's always ebay. IMO the rare GCC Millipede ones may be worth more

Hey Curt-

Is Wal-Mart going to accept returns/trades when the good units arrive (or are we screwed)?

918085[/snapback]

Does that $30 investment really hurt that bad? there's always ebay. IMO the rare GCC Millipede ones may be worth more

918390[/snapback]

Agreed. "Screwed" is such a harsh word considering the quality of everything else on the unit. Does the potential of having no synthesized voice in Quadrun really make you feel "screwed?"

Hey Curt-

918085[/snapback]

918390[/snapback]

Agreed. "Screwed" is such a harsh word considering the quality of everything else on the unit. Does the potential of having no synthesized voice in Quadrun really make you feel "screwed?"

918396[/snapback]

Well personally I don't mind much about the voice in Quadrun (and I'm not sure if this has already been answered in another thread...there are so many posts about the FB2 now that it's hard to keep up) I'd much rather see Yar's Return, CoM, Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel tweaked to be actually playable - no double sprites or rolling. At least the other games on the unit are just fine, but I was looking forward to all of the previously mentioned titles and they have too many problems to make them enjoyable to play. I also don't have the GCC version of Millipede. If that has already been fixed, then I hope to find another unit that's fixed. If not then I hope all that is fixed with this next release thats being discussed, I think those issues would be much more important than the voice in Quadrun.

I don't feel like I got rippe doff either. I agree with keilbaca, I am dissapointed with the new games, especially Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel. I also REALLY wanted to get the GCC version of Millipede.

That said, I love Adventure 2, and the joysticks are great.

If they get the screen rolling problems fixed along with the sound, then I will definatley get a second unit.

Hey, calm down guys!

1) It seems to be a very good system - I'm only complaining about the problems that are getting fixed.

2) If Joe Schmoe gets a "non-defective" unit for the same price that I paid for a defective unit (no matter if it was $1, $30 or $3000) and I can't return mine, yes I call that screwed!

3) If you buy a new TV and you can't get channels 20-30, are you going to keep it because it might be a rare notch filter edition? No. So why do I want to keep my FB2 if I can't play Millipede or get some of the sounds?

Hey, calm down guys! 

1) It seems to be a very good system  -  I'm only complaining about the problems that are getting fixed.

2) If Joe Schmoe gets a "non-defective" unit for the same price that I paid for a defective unit (no matter if it was $1, $30 or $3000) and I can't return mine, yes I call that screwed!

3) If you buy a new TV and you can't get channels 20-30, are you going to keep it because it might be a rare notch filter edition?  No.  So why do I want to keep my FB2 if I can't play Millipede or get some of the sounds?

918731[/snapback]

You got the CGE Millipede? I'll take that off your hands ;)

I should mention that I don't feel screwed over really with the FB2. I've played some game on it just about everyday since I bought it and I really enjoy Save Mary, Adventure 2, Aquaventure, and Secret Quest. I found Wizard to be enjoyable with two players, same thing with Frog Pond. And new joysticks are awesome to have. I think the positives outweigh the negatives, but I don't think it's too much to ask to have some of the added titles properly done. I was really excited about Yars Return well, and we already know about that. I'll just wait for the 4 of Oct. and see how those turn out.

OK, I'm confused

I have been excitedly waiting all Summer for August 23rd, and have been looking for FB2 everyday this week.

Are we not going to see this product in stores until October ??

Should I stop my daily hunt for it ?

919310[/snapback]

They have been @ Walmart for several weeks. Albert also has several to sell. See this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75110

OK, I'm confused

I have been excitedly waiting all Summer for August 23rd, and have been looking for FB2 everyday this week.

Are we not going to see this product in stores until October ??

Should I stop my daily hunt for it ?

919310[/snapback]

The units that come out in october wont have the voice synthesis problem like the ones that are available now when playing the game quadrun. If you have been waiting this long then just wait til october, or if you dont mind not hearing the word quadrun between levels then go ahead and get one now :)

Edited by ATARIeric

The units that come out in october wont have the voice synthesis problem like the ones that are available now when playing the game quadrun. If you have been waiting this long then just wait til october,  or if you dont mind not hearing the word quadrun between levels then go ahead and get one now :)

921462[/snapback]

ATARIeric,

What you are telling us conflicts with what Curt Vendel is telling us. Where are you getting your information?

I feel a little uncomforatable with this thread being that there are a few to many newbies with 0 joysticks posting in a forum that doesnt seem to make much sense. Kinda reminds me of the Airworld post a few years back. Hmmm maybe I'm just paranoid.