IGNORED

Excluding Pac-Man and ET, which is the worst game?

HP Atari King of Michigan

I like Skeet Shoot. :)

924437[/snapback]

I like trap shooting, but the Skeet Shoot cartridge is abominable. It might be hackable into something playable, I suppose, but in its released form the targets either move so slowly that 25/25 is trivial, or they move so quickly that they can't be hit. If the bullets moved twice as fast on the harder skill levels, the game might be playable, but the idea of targets travelling almost as fast as the bullets is absurd.

Just another "Pac-Man and ET are far from the worst 2600 games".

Some titles that are worse, IMO:

Star Ship

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Word Zapper

Anything by Mystique/Playaround

Laser Blast

924457[/snapback]

I actually like Star Ship, the Donkey Kong games, and Laser Blast. Better in small doses though.

924467[/snapback]

StarShip wasn't so bad. You gotta remember, it WAS 1977 and It satisfied many a Star-Wars Fan. We played that game a lot. I actually ASKED for it with my VCS but I asked for it as Outer Space (Which is the version my friend had) and my mom couldn't find it at the Drugstore (As it was the Sears title) I got Superman instead. Superman was a game ahead of it's time, like Adventure.

Sea Hunt isn't the worst game ever once you figure out the timing. . . That said, it's still not really all that good.

Karate is playable. . . barely. I kinda like it just for being almost the only 2-player fighter on the system. But, damn, it's ugly as sin.

Racquetball and Wall Ball don't deserve mention either.

And I won't even get into the mis-guided "Pac-Man and ET as worst games" thing. It's a common newbie mistake. . .

Firefly and Miniature Golf, OTOH, are the worst two video games I've ever played . . . on any platform, not just the 2600.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Zaxxon.

No way. Zaxxon is GOOD 2600 game. :D

It may not be "Zaxxon" -> zaxxon.jpg

But it's a 2600 game in a league of it's own! Name another 3dish 2600 game like it. I dig how you assault a space fortress and then battle a boss. Maybe it should be called "Space Raid" or something. :P

The graphics could use some spritzing up though :ponder:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Zaxxon.

No way. Zaxxon is GOOD 2600 game. :D

It may not be "Zaxxon" -> zaxxon.jpg

But it's a 2600 game in a league of it's own! Name another 3dish 2600 game like it. I dig how you assault a space fortress and then battle a boss.

And I dig how you can "collide" with something clear across the screen, and how dieing on the second fortress during a 2-player game pretty much spells the end of the game no matter how many lives you have left.

It's not the lack of arcade faithfulness that makes it a crappy game, it's the shoddy programming.

Edited by skunkworx

And I dig how you can "collide" with something clear across the screen

Huh? :? When does that happen. I had this game since it was released and don't know of any collision detection like that. :?

and how dieing on the second fortress during a 2-player game pretty much spells the end of the game no matter how many lives you have left.

Hrmm.. That's new to me.. but then again I've always been a single player kind of guy. :P What happens exactly though when you do that?

Still though you gotta admit it is unique in the 2600 world.. Scrolling altitude dependent shootemup :D

E.T. and Pac-Man was not bad games. If you consider Pac-man to be a seperate game from the arcade and not as a port from the arcade, then its not so bad.

However, the worst game has to be Karate. That game is literally unplayable.

Second place goes to Skeet Shoot.

924470[/snapback]

Karate had at least the merest iota of technical merit: Huge sprites. Huge, single-colour, incredibly blocky to the point of being nearly recognizable sprites, but huge all the same.

Skeet Shoot, however, has no redeeming qualities.

Anything by Mythicon. Fire Fly, Star Fox (not to be confused with the Nintendo series of the same name) and Sorcerer were just plain awful. Much worse than Pac-Man, which was merely a horribly inaccurate but still quite playable (and even fun) translation of the arcade game, and E.T., which was rather complex (and really would have benefitted from another month or two of playtesting) but hardly as bad as its reputation suggests.

-DS-

Edited by Raiu

Hey I just thought of one...

When I was a kid my mom bought my sister Strawberry Shortcake.

That game sucked soooo bad that I would hide the thing so my sister couldn't find it. Finally (thank god) her interest in MY 2600 moved on and I was free to resume some serious pole position goodness...

Gawd what a horrible game!

SjN

I refuse to comment on a thread in which the authors title implies E.T. is the worst game for the 2600.

*farts on thread*

925024[/snapback]

I had previously stated that I personally liked ET, but there was others that didn't think the same. :roll:

I had previously stated that I personally liked ET, but there was others that didn't think the same.

So you admit to following the crowd like a drone so you fit in.

STAND UP PROUD AND DEFEND THE HONOR OF E.T. INSTEAD OF DUMPING ON HIM!!!

• Like 1

And I dig how you can "collide" with something clear across the screen

Huh? :? When does that happen. I had this game since it was released and don't know of any collision detection like that. :?

Keep your ship as far to the right as you can, especially when you see something on the far left. See if you don't end up "running into" what's on the left.

and how dieing on the second fortress during a 2-player game pretty much spells the end of the game no matter how many lives you have left.

Hrmm.. That's new to me.. but then again I've always been a single player kind of guy. :P What happens exactly though when you do that?

When you're in a 2-player game, "1up" or "2up" appears on the screen when it's time for the next player to take a turn. What you then learn the hard way is that the time it takes to display that message cuts into the time you have to dodge the first obstacle that comes up. So, if you're on the second fortress, and it's level 3 or higher, the message disappears just in time for you to see your ship get fried by a force field.

Still though you gotta admit it is unique in the 2600 world..  Scrolling altitude dependent shootemup :D

924778[/snapback]

A little extra QA and it would've have been great.