IGNORED

Does anyone Only play Classic Games?

thund3r

No. Limiting yourself in any way in gaming is just plain retarded. You'll miss out on lots of great experiences that way and you will only hurt yoursel in the long run.

929627[/snapback]

That's like telling someone who detests horror movies and doesn't enjoy watching them at all that they should go and see just as many horror movies as any other genre or else they'll "miss out on lots of great experiences".

Perhaps you don't understand that what you consider a "great experience", I might consider a boring waste of time.

929631[/snapback]

Don't fucking condescend to me.

It's like telling somebody that doesn't like chinese food to go ahead and try some of Sweet and Sour chicken, they'll just might like it. I hate horror movies, but I love the original Dawn of the Dead. I hate sports games, but I love NFL Blitz and NBA Street. I hate tactical shooters, but I enjoyed the first Rainbow Six. If I had limited myself to certain games and genres and eras then I would have missed out on those great experiences. Be open to new things people. Grow a little! It's not my fault that you're a close minded fool.

Perhps you don't understand that with sheer number of games out there there's bound to be a title out there that you like. It's statistics, stupid.

Edited by sigma

I don't buy the comparison to horror movies either.

I think the best comparison I can come up with are those people who say "I don't like television nowadays" or "I don't like any current music" or "Movies nowadays are crap." You can tell them over and over again current shows/bands/films that are truly great and should appeal to them given the older stuff that they say they like, but they blow it off because it's new.

If you enjoyed older games, there is no reason not to try current games like Katamari, Monkey Ball, Meteos, Lumines, Yoshi's Touch & Go and many others that have the same easy to learn impossible to master mentality of the classics. I think to some people saying they only play Atari is a badge of honor they wear, rather than an educated choice.

I think the best comparison I can come up with are those people who say "I don't like television nowadays" or "I don't like any current music" or "Movies nowadays are crap."  You can tell them over and over again current shows/bands/films that are truly great and should appeal to them given the older stuff that they say they like, but they blow it off because it's new.

If you enjoyed older games, there is no reason not to try current games like Katamari, Monkey Ball, Meteos, Lumines, Yoshi's Touch & Go and many others that have the same easy to learn impossible to master mentality of the classics.  I think to some people saying they only play Atari is a badge of honor they wear, rather than an educated choice.

929801[/snapback]

Yea, it also takes money to sift through newer games. I've been burned on the last 3 I've bought, so if anyone thinks that a classic gamer, like myself, would enjoy something newer, I'll be more than happy to borrow your copy (ps2 format please!!). :D

I think the best comparison I can come up with are those people who say "I don't like television nowadays" or "I don't like any current music" or "Movies nowadays are crap."  You can tell them over and over again current shows/bands/films that are truly great and should appeal to them given the older stuff that they say they like, but they blow it off because it's new.

If you enjoyed older games, there is no reason not to try current games like Katamari, Monkey Ball, Meteos, Lumines, Yoshi's Touch & Go and many others that have the same easy to learn impossible to master mentality of the classics.  I think to some people saying they only play Atari is a badge of honor they wear, rather than an educated choice.

929801[/snapback]

Yea, it also takes money to sift through newer games. I've been burned on the last 3 I've bought, so if anyone thinks that a classic gamer, like myself, would enjoy something newer, I'll be more than happy to borrow your copy (ps2 format please!!). :D

929814[/snapback]

See, but you have an actual reason. I just don't like the general statements like "I don't like new games because they're all violent and have rap music". It's just closeminded. It's like me saying "I don't like old games because I don't like space shooters", I'd have people jumping all over me!

See, but you have an actual reason.  I just don't like the general statements like "I don't like new games because they're all violent and have rap music".  It's just closeminded.  It's like me saying "I don't like old games because I don't like space shooters", I'd have people jumping all over me!

929847[/snapback]

I'm sure there are new games out there that I would really enjoy, but being a divorced dad and all, I don't have the disposable income for major video game exploration.

I saw a lot of "new games are to gangsta" or "new games are to boring" or my favorite "there are just way to many subpar games on the new systems". All three of these reasons are garbage lets start with the first one. While it's true some games have urban themes most don't. No nintendo made game does and companys such as capcom and namco make lots of non gangster games. And there are lots of fast games that are great look at meteos or lumines fantastic fast games. And the idea that old systems had more good games and less garbage is bull shit and i can prove it with the amount of garbage i have amassed on my classic consoles. People just seem to forget the bad and only remember the good. For every shinobi and metroid you had dozens of bad copycats. And for every katamari damacy you hvae dozens of lousy hack N slashes. Little has changed in terms of quality ratio on the most popular systems.

And after finding out the game gear and nomad are backlit my classic gaming to modern might change dramaticly. Any one know if the lynx is back lit?

It's like telling somebody that doesn't like chinese food to go ahead and try some of Sweet and Sour chicken, they'll just might like it. I hate horror movies, but I love the original Dawn of the Dead. I hate sports games, but I love NFL Blitz and NBA Street. I hate tactical shooters, but I enjoyed the first Rainbow Six. If I had limited myself to certain games and genres and eras then I would have missed out on those great experiences. Be open to new things people. Grow a little! It's not my fault that you're a close minded fool.

Perhps you don't understand that with sheer number of games out there there's bound to be a title out there that you like. It's statistics, stupid.

929746[/snapback]

Who's condescending? Lighten up buddy. If having one person on the anonymous internet disagree with your point of view gets you into this much of a tizzy, you're in for a rough life.

Okay, deep breaths...

You're chinese argument is valid if you are talking about someone who has never tried sweet and sour chicken in his entire life, and still refuses to do so. However, if a person has tried it and knows they don't like it, they are not ignorant or "just plain stupid" as you put it for not wanting to forcefeed it to themselves again and again just to reinforece their dislike of sweet and sour chicken.

You say you don't like horror movies but loved Dawn of the Dead. How many painstakingly dull horror movies did you force yourself to sit through to discover that golden nugget? For me, it's not worth the time to play 150 shitty games in a genre I don't like in an attempt to find that genre's crown jewel.

Calling someone "stupid" in an argument will get you nowhere. You will learn this. All I was saying with my previous post is that your post above that was pig-headed. My horror movie example wasn't the best, and I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had known you would be so highly offended.

Speaking of statistics, some of us understand that since the dawn of the videogame industry 90% of all games released have been garbage. But if you feel the urge to play every piece of shit that comes down the pipe despite this in order to "keep an open mind", by all means be my guest.

...and if you can manage to dig yourself out of all that shit when you do find the diamond in the rough, do me a favour and let me know which game it is so I can give it a try.

:)

Any one know if the lynx is back lit?

Yes. Togglable, too.

930017[/snapback]

Except if you turn off the backlight, you can't see anything. :P Remember how cool it was when the Game Boy Color came out with its transreflective screen that you could see even with a light right on it? And the GBA-SP that you could actually play in the light, dark, AND put in your pocket AND didn't suck disposable batteries dry? :roll:

What was this thing about? Oh yeah -- classic only. Some aspect of the oldies really sucked. Portable gaming is just getting good now!

Portable gaming is just getting good now!

I agree portable games are the best they have ever been. But i would still like to get a nomad, and I'm thinking about a game gear. I think i will stay away from the lynx after taking a good look at it's games which look pretty bad.

Edited by sega saturn x

I always really liked the Nomad but for me PSP Genesis emulation blows it away. Sure some Roms aren't playable but the screen is way way better and it's more portable with a better battery life. I thought about dropping $80 on Nomad before I bought my PSP and now I am glad I didn't. BTW the Lynx is still my favorite way to play portable Ms. Pac-man. And to the original topic I'm about 60% classic and 40% modern on the games I play.

Edited by dalton4life

929746[/snapback]

Who's condescending? Lighten up buddy. If having one person on the anonymous internet disagree with your point of view gets you into this much of a tizzy, you're in for a rough life.

Okay, deep breaths...

You're chinese argument is valid if you are talking about someone who has never tried sweet and sour chicken in his entire life, and still refuses to do so. However, if a person has tried it and knows they don't like it, they are not ignorant or "just plain stupid" as you put it for not wanting to forcefeed it to themselves again and again just to reinforece their dislike of sweet and sour chicken.

You say you don't like horror movies but loved Dawn of the Dead. How many painstakingly dull horror movies did you force yourself to sit through to discover that golden nugget? For me, it's not worth the time to play 150 shitty games in a genre I don't like in an attempt to find that genre's crown jewel.

Calling someone "stupid" in an argument will get you nowhere. You will learn this. All I was saying with my previous post is that your post above that was pig-headed. My horror movie example wasn't the best, and I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had known you would be so highly offended.

Speaking of statistics, some of us understand that since the dawn of the videogame industry 90% of all games released have been garbage. But if you feel the urge to play every piece of shit that comes down the pipe despite this in order to "keep an open mind", by all means be my guest.

...and if you can manage to dig yourself out of all that shit when you do find the diamond in the rough, do me a favour and let me know which game it is so I can give it a try.

:)

930314[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but "Perhaps you don't understand that what you consider a "great experience", I might consider a boring waste of time." was condescnding, wether you meant it to be or not. I used the word "stupid," because, hey, I felt attacked and I gave it right back.

Now, you are still working under that assumption that I have to play a bunch of different games to get to one. Not so! All I have to do is do some reaserch to cut throught the bad games and get straight to the good ones. How many movies did I have to sit through to find out I liked Dawn of the Dead? Just one, Dawn of the Dead itself. I looked at reviews of the movie and I listened to people's who's opinions I trust and took a chance and, hey, what do you know, I liked it. If I didn't like it, who cares? That's just one bad experience. Again, all you have to do is listen to reviewers, people's opinions who you trust, and compare games, and look at same developers. Just a little work that is incomparable to actually sitting with the games.

Btw, I can name 20 titles on both the PS2 and Gamecube that I absolutly love.

inpo:

Soul Calibur 2

Resident Evil 4

NBA Street

Prince of Persia: SoT

Metroid Prime

Katamari Damacy

Viewtiful Joe

Guilty Gear XX

P.N. 03

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Ico

Kingdom Hearts

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

Alien Hominid

Killer 7

Under the Skin

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure

Mario Power Tennis

Culdacept

There is nothing wrong with the few original newer games that are out. Lumines, Meteos, The Advance Wars series, several shooters, Culdacept, Front Mission 4, and even Unlimited Saga (if you are a masochist).

I like games that push the envelope in some ways, or games that actually evolve a proven genre. When I complain about newer games, it's mainly about the 'me too' clone infestation. I never EVER want to see another 'grand theft' clone as long as I live.

I didn't like copycating way back when, and I don't like it now. I like classic games because the industry was full of individuals doing their own games, instead of huge fifty person multi-million dollar teams. The climate was far more friendly to creativity back in the eighties. Attack of the Mutant Camels anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this thread so sorry for coming in late - to answer your question, YES, THERE IS SOMEONE WHO ONLY PLAYS CLASSIC GAMES - ME!!!!!!!

I have two systems, an Atari 2600 with 216 titles and a Sega Genesis with 155 titles.

I cannot stand the price of current gaming (and I could not stand it ten years ago). The best thing about rediscovering classic games is that people have scrutinized for 10 - 28 years about which of these games are awful and which ones are the best and why.

In addition, I can collect the best titles for $2 each. When they were new, they were anywhere from $50 to $100 (Virtua Racing) and we had no real idea as to what was good and what sucks. Guess what? The same thing is true today, though there are more people talking about which games are good on-line (tho' keep in mind, many of those comments are paid for by the companies in new-age marketing - it is designed to make you think other people think the game is cool , i.e. word of mouth, and get you to spend $50+ on a game that looks great but may not deliver.

I'll take Pitfall and Solar Fox any day!

I cannot stand the price of current gaming (and I could not stand it ten years ago). The best thing about rediscovering classic games is that people have scrutinized for 10 - 28 years about which of these games are awful and which ones are the best and why.

940086[/snapback]

Yes, I agree very much. I've found it to be well worth staying behind the cutting edge.

If games are to expensive for you why not just rent? Gamefly and blockbuster have online programs so you don't even have to go to the store if you're to busy. I mean it's not like you have to buy a game to try it to see if you like it. Both old and new have a lot to offer i don't see the point in limiting youself. Especially with how easy it is to just rent new games.

If games are to expensive for you why not just rent?  Gamefly and blockbuster have online programs so you don't even have to go to the store if you're to busy.  I mean it's not like you have to buy a game to try it to see if you like it.  Both old and new have a lot to offer i don't see the point in limiting youself.  Especially with how easy it is to just rent new games.

940192[/snapback]

I guess it just has to do with preference. I stopped playing video games about nine years ago and at that point I was only buying sport titles that were updated (Madden 95, NHL Kockey 96 - stuff like that). Frankly I lost interest around the time my kid was born and kinda tucked the Sega Genesis into a box and into the storage room.

*****WARNING: THIS IS A LONG RESPONSE - MY APOLOGIES*********

A few months ago, I read something on-line about classic gaming and thought that it would be cool to buy another 2600 and a few games. I had no idea how much my family would love the atari. When we have guests over, we always wind up down the basement in front of the atari and it is the hit of the party. Most of our friends are in the 37 -50 year old range and fondly remember the atari. It brings back good memories, when life's responsibilities included cleaning your room, finishing your plate because there are starving people in China, riding bikes and playing little league.

After I broke out the Sega again, I realized how much fun it is.

TO ANSWER your question - why not keep up to date with the latest games? They simply hold no interest to me at this point. I know the graphics are great and in some cases the playability might be better, but if they do not impress me or leave me feeling good, it would be a pretty empty experience.

Now, I have a few experiences on PS2 and Xbox with my nephews and I was way less than impressed. It seemed either the games are way too graphic (sex, rape, murder - why the hell is my 10-year old nephew allowed to play Grand Theft Auto?????), too pointless (Tony Hawk is skating around -whoop-de-friggin'-do!!!), or too much (PS2 was hooked up to surround sound and you could hear tires squealing and gunshots throughout the entire house).

Persomally, I just want to play a game of baseball and keep track of the stats. I do not want to manage a salary cap, trades, injuries, etc.,

SO WHY DON'T I RENT? to be honest, I never looked into it. But I already have close to 400 titles between atari and genesis plus I've got loads hacks, emulations and other things to keep me busy. I'd rather play those now and when I'm ready to research the later games, perhaps I'll do that. Then, we will know which games are great and which ones did not stand the test of time, plus they will be less than $5 a game.

Last comment here and sorry for the extreme length of this response. I am a movie fanatic. I am particularly fond of great writing in movies. It is interesting that when AFI put together its list of the top 100 movies of all time in 2000 (I think), only something like 5 movies from the 1990's and 4 movies from 1970's were included. The classics from the 30's, 40's and 60's comprised most of the list. Certainly, technology improved from 1915 (birth of a nation) to 2000 and there are literally thousands of movies that come out every year. Why did the 1990's only have five? The simple answer is that the true classics stay and remain true classics no matter what the latest, greatest movies are today.

Show me a better mystery series than The Thin Man (starting in 1934), would you think Master and Commander stacks up to Captian Blood (1935) or The Sea Hawk (1940, I think)???????? Give me Fred and Ginger in Top Hat (1935), Swing Time (1936) or An American in Paris any day over any dancing movie of the last 30 years.

Find me a better movie than Casablanca or The African Queen - Sullivan's Travels, Sergent York, Shadow of a Doubt, The Yearling, It's a Wonderful Life, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Stalag 17, 12 Angry Men, Witness for the Prosecution, Anatomy of a Murder, North by Northwest, Lillies of the Field, Dr Strangelove, The Sound of Music, The Defiant Ones, In the Heat of the Night, A Clockwork Orange, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Godfather 1 and 2, The Sting, Young Frankenstein, the Wizard of Oz, Annie Hall, The Goodbye Girl, Being There, Ghandi, Amadeus and This is Spinal Tap!

There - that brings us to about 20 years ago - These are GREAT Movies THAT WILL BE GREAT FOREVER - Now, don't get me wrong - there are movies out now that I love - to name a few - Kill Bill, vol 1, Hero (the Asian movie), Almost Famous, Finding Nemo, The Iron Giant, Toy Story 2, Fargo, Pulp Fiction, The Commitments, Goodfellas, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Chicago, and High Fidelity.

I guess what I'm saying is it's a big world out there with room enough for everyone and their preferences. Anyway, thanks for the tip about renting - I'll keep it in mind.

Edited by silverpoodleman

No. Limiting yourself in any way in gaming is just plain retarded. You'll miss out on lots of great experiences that way and you will only hurt yoursel in the long run.

929627[/snapback]

Do you mean hurt myself because I no longer overpay for games that could be good/could be bad and only choose the ones that have stood the test of time?

In a world of High Definition, wall mounted, digital satelite TV's - Bose Wave Motion Music Systems - DVD Recorders - Digital Voice Recorders - MP3 Players - DVD players in cars - resaurant-grade modern appliances - 40 gazillion gigabyte computers - blackberries - GPS watches - cell phones that take, edit, and transmit pictures & video - DVD rentals delivered in the mail - ebay and all digital movies, HOW COULD I POSSIBLY HURT MYSELF TO STICKING WITH CLASSIC GAMING? WHAT AM I MISSING OUT ON? Have you ever heard of staying grounded with the things you love?

Also, my friend, telling someone that they are "retarded" simply because they make a choice different from your shows your lack of education, common sense and graciousness. It is a big world out there and there is plenty of room for people whose taste run the gamut. I'm confused why you would be so angry at those who prefer something different?

I wonder if my choice to have a dog rather than a cat is retarded. Perhaps my preference of reading as opposed to watching TV is retarded. I love traditional jazz and would rather listen to Ella Fitzgerald than anyone in today's music scene. Hmmm...I wonder - is that retarded? Perhaps my desicion to get an advanced degree at an Ivy League graduate school was also retarded. After all, it's been around since 1701. Boy, that's old - so I guess, retarded, right?

I guess I see your point though. By attending Yale, an "old" school, I know I missed out on lots of great experiences and only hurt myself in the long run. Perhaps I'll set my goals higher and attend the AAA Trucking School in Harrisburg, PA (http://www.aaaschooloftrucking.com/ for anyone who is interested). It was founded only eight years ago. Newer is better, right? Thank you for setting me on the right path.