IGNORED

Revolution Controller Revealed

Ze_ro

After all the controller talk, I really wished Nintendo would have disclosed more information about the revolution. The controller information, while enlightening, was very little. When Nintendo starves everyone of games and information, it is only normal to react with long posts like mine.

The video link Albert provided helped me a lot to better understand what little has been disclosed about the controller. It was intriguing to see these actors use the controller. The actors exaggerated reactions are imo good for marketing purposes but not reflect how people really would use these controls.

I can't stop thinking that it seems gimmicky. It's almost a glorified tv remote. In reality people won't be as energetic or hide behind their couches while playing a videogame (like in the commercial). On the contrary I imagine people doing as little possible to move the pad (unless you would be in a party environment where being more energetic is elicited).

If you enjoyed grabbing a plastic toy gun in an arcade shooter, or using the fishing rod or maracas in those quirky Dreamcast games, then you will probably like this controller. Everyone has or knows a friend who has moved the controller in mid air when controlling mario. AFAIK as I know modularity has never been received well by videogamers. For example the N64 pad is always critisized too complicated to use. If masses complain about three prongs being complicated then what about a controller as modular as this one?

I think the idea of moving a controller in the air will work for very simple games. Can you imagine switching inventory in a Splinter Cell-type game? How about a strategy game? How would you change visors and guns in Metroid? Seems to me Nintendo has no intention to cater to these types of games or gamers.

Someone in the thread mentioned his concern for how easy it would be to break the cords in this controller. He has got a point. If you consider the modularity, then there will be a lot of lost control trinkets. If kids were always throwing away the original GBA's battery cover (and that was just one piece) then imagine what could happen to this controller. This will certainly put to test the unbreakable reputation Nintendo peripherals had always enjoyed.

Edited by Dones

I really don't know what to say...

At first I was "What the? Has Nintendo gone crazy?" but after thinking about and seeing the video...

I just don't know...

Everybody said Nintendo was doomed when the DS was out against the PSP, and apparently now that the novelty had wore off the PSP, the DS has won in the end...

Will it the Nintendo's new Virtual Boy? I doubt it do that badly...

You can plug the GameCube controller to play the older games, which is relief, because they have to reprogram the classics they promised us if they didn't...

It may have less buttons, but maybe you won't need that many?

The simple thought of swinging it around like a sword to actually use it as a sword rocks! But your arms are going to get tired...

I'm still wondering how do you play a fighting game with this thing though...

I've my ups and downs with Nintendo, so I'm not going to haze or praise it until I see it action...

I just can't think of a single use for this in a real gaming context that would be an improvement over a standard controller.

932406[/snapback]

It should be great for FPS games. Think about it, the analog part works as a mouse does in a computer game. The analog looks around and changes your directions, while one of the shoulder buttons (on the analog part) fires and the other jumps. You go forward, backward and strafe with the + pad and can use the B button to open doors and initiatwe conversations. It'll almost feel natural to computer players, especially if they hold the analog in their right hands and remote in their left.

Edited by Atarifever

Y'know, despite all the people saying "OMG, This is such a bad idea!", no one has actually given a specific reason as to WHY it's a bad idea. Obviously none of us have tried this thing, so what is it that you people are basing this on? Just because it looks unusual doesn't immediately mean it's going to suck. I'm not saying it's the Alpha and Omega of video game controllers... I'm just saying don't judge it until you try it. Keep an open mind.

--Zero

932440[/snapback]

Aren't you the same person who started a poll about UMD's with your first post stating "I don't own a PSP myself, nor am I likely to buy one in the future, but I'm always curious about things like this. Personally, I think a new (inferior) format is a bad idea, and I'm hoping it'll go the way of Betamax as fast as possible so we don't have stores cluttered up with these DVD wannabees."

So I would say you are an extreme fanboy and perhaps your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.....

I'll sit quietly whilst you create why the UMD thing is SOOOO different from the Nintendo controller thing.... :roll:

My first reaction to the picture - "What the hell is that?"

My second reaction "How the hell would I use that?"

My final reaction "I'll try it in the store for novelty, but I'm not gonna buy it, probably."

I've my ups and downs with Nintendo, so I'm not going to haze or praise it until I see it action...

That's the thing. There is so little information that the best anyone can do is cautious skepticism. I sure wish the buzz around these news where more positive. Too bad we can't be more enthusiastic like with the PS3 or 360.

Edited by Dones

Y'know, despite all the people saying "OMG, This is such a bad idea!", no one has actually given a specific reason as to WHY it's a bad idea. Obviously none of us have tried this thing, so what is it that you people are basing this on? Just because it looks unusual doesn't immediately mean it's going to suck. I'm not saying it's the Alpha and Omega of video game controllers... I'm just saying don't judge it until you try it. Keep an open mind.

--Zero

932440[/snapback]

Aren't you the same person who started a poll about UMD's with your first post stating "I don't own a PSP myself, nor am I likely to buy one in the future, but I'm always curious about things like this. Personally, I think a new (inferior) format is a bad idea, and I'm hoping it'll go the way of Betamax as fast as possible so we don't have stores cluttered up with these DVD wannabees."

So I would say you are an extreme fanboy and perhaps your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.....

I'll sit quietly whilst you create why the UMD thing is SOOOO different from the Nintendo controller thing.... :roll:

My first reaction to the picture - "What the hell is that?"

My second reaction "How the hell would I use that?"

My final reaction "I'll try it in the store for novelty, but I'm not gonna buy it, probably."

932539[/snapback]

A movie format is not the same as a controller...

You can play a DVD on a PC, a DVD player, a XBox, a PS2, a Panacube, etc, etc....

But the UMD can only be played on a PSP! And considering that there are 512 Mb and 1G SD cards, you could play movies on possibly any portable system that accpets these cards...

Even my N-Gage and GP32 can play movies and soon the GBA will too with the Play-yan, and they all use the same SD cards as far as I know...

A controller never survives more than a generation, it's always getting more buttons or a new design, Nintendo inveted the gamepad, so they are in their right to reinvent it!

Listen to the conference if you have time, and then tell what you think...

I'll sit quietly whilst you create why the UMD thing is SOOOO different from the Nintendo controller thing....  :roll:

That wasn't me who said that, but I'll pipe in anyway.

UMDs vs. the Revolution controller doesn't strike me as a very fair comparison. UMDs are smaller in capacity, more expensive, and can't be played in as many devices as the ubiquitous DVDs. They don't really bring anything new to the table except their smaller physical diameter. The revolution controller brings a style of control to games that we've never had at home before except in a few obscure standalone tv-games consoles. If anyone can pull this off, it's Nintendo, and the fact that they're willing to try something that gets people talking like this is an accomplishment in itself. They've got a long way before release, so there is plenty of potential for a must-have launch game, just like we got in SMB, Super Mario World, Mario 64, or Rogue Leader for each of the previous machines.

I for one welcome the chance to explore virtual worlds using more than my thumbs as the means of input. I didn't need much convincing, but I'm definitely not going to jump on the shiny new XBOX360 bandwagon right away now -- would much rather see everyones' cards first.

Y'know, despite all the people saying "OMG, This is such a bad idea!", no one has actually given a specific reason as to WHY it's a bad idea. Obviously none of us have tried this thing, so what is it that you people are basing this on?

The thing is, there's not really anything new about this. It combines together a few ideas that have already been tried over the years with utterly disastrous results. There have been controllers that you just move through the air, and by various means they can detect movement, and they're awkward and ineffective. There has been a one-hand, remote control-style controller beforfe (CD-i) and it was a big failure.

Unless Nintendo has radically improved on these previous ideas, this thing is just not likely to be any good. As anyone who's wrangled a standard game controller knows, it's important to have resistance in the controller for movement... either by having it attached to a base (as with arcade games) or by holding it with both hands so your other hand can provide that resistance when you move a joystick or press a button.

This is carpal tunnel syndrome just waiting to happen...

I actually think it will work out fine. It's modular, so if you don't want to use the whole motion thing fine. As mentioned before, it will be awesome for FPS. You could move with the analog stick, and use the remote for a lightgun to shoot. I would think a Splinter Cell type game would work similarly, maybe adding a face plate for more options.

I've become slightly bored by traditional consoles, my DS has taken up about 95% of my gaming time. Nintendo has made me curious again and made me excited about next-gen consoles, more than Sony and Microsoft basically offering the same games with better graphics.

Remember when:

The d-pad on the NES seemed goofy when you were used to Atari joysticks?

The shoulder buttons on the SNES seemed like overkill?

The analog stick on the N64 seemed like a gimmick?

The DS was doomed to failure because it was just a 2 screened Gameboy?

The Micro wouldn't sell because it's too small and too expensive?

Nintendo has an amazing track record (Virtual Boy being the major exception). I actually trust them on this one and look forward to what they offer. I think it's a shame that everyone was like "The Revolution controller will be a letdown because it won't be different" then when it was truly different, people were still upset.

If the price is right, I'm buying it before the other consoles. I'll likely end up with a Revo and a PS3, but I think Nintendo just reversed the order I planned on buying them.

Hand it to Nintendo to diverse from the beaten path! Well, I'll hail their intuitiveness and innovativeness (sorry if those two words are spelled wrong. I didn't swallow my dictionary for breakfast this morning), and look forward to see how this thing's going to pan out.

The DS was a revolution in new portable gaming, and yes, Nintendo has fallen on it's proverbial ass before, but hell, they've also had some major successes, so don't count them out yet because they wish to be "different" from the others. I applaud them! (Hugs DS)

-Steve :D

Remember when:

The d-pad on the NES seemed goofy when you were used to Atari joysticks?

The shoulder buttons on the SNES seemed like overkill?

The analog stick on the N64 seemed like a gimmick?

The DS was doomed to failure because it was just a 2 screened Gameboy?

932570[/snapback]

Thank you. People act like Nintendo didn't basically invent every revolution in controllers ever. Every other company ends up adopting a standard Nintendo sets with controllers and people forget that and talk about how Nintendo is always late adopting market standards. If this works out well the third MS system and the PS4 will have similar controllers and everyone will forget that they thought this was silly.

I actually have a really positive reaction to this :o A "remote controller" worthy of the name.

It looks weird, but inviting for a newbie/classic gamer. The controller, without any plugins, looks really clean and simple. I like the trend towards less buttons, and I think it will force Revolution game authors to use less buttons in their gameplay control schematics, which is all goodness to me. It sure looks like an NES pad when turned sideways.

Also, it looks like it's equally suited for lefties and righties. If games are written to use the trigger "B" button a lot (or an option exists to swap buttons A and B), I could see it being comfortable in my hand for a long time. I'll keep my mind open. The only point of confusion is that there are separate lowercase and uppercase A and B buttons -- maybe they could have used 1 and 2 instead to name the uppercase buttons. And it looks like it will use cheap AA batteries to power the unit, which is a good thing.

I'm also thinking that there's a possiblity that someone (Joe Grand ;) ) could create "Stelladaptor" type adapters for the bottom port to let you use any legacy Nintendo controller through it wirelessly (except GC, since there will be GC ports on the unit), or even an Atari-style controller (after all, the FB2 joystick is the "controller of the year" in my book)

I have the feeling that this won't make it to the release. What any way you look at it, this is going to be a nightmare for so many major game genres.

I wouldn't want to play an FPS on it (unless the main controller was tilt senesitive), and that B button doesn't look analouge, which makes playing driving games a bit crappy. Fighters wouldn't benefit from the button or D-pad layout, either.

How long after released will some third part company make a adaptor that'll let you plug in Cube pads to that... thing?

I'm shocked by how many snap judegements get posted in this thread, espectially considering that AAers are generally an intelligent bunch. Predicting the end of Nintendo based on somehting no one's touched seems a tad outrageous to me.

At the end of the day it all comes down to 5 things for me

1. Controllers have had the same set up for 20 years now. Is it the best? Maybe, but probably not. In an industry that has changed so much in the past 2 decades, I'm relieved to see that someone is at least capable of re-thinking a tired old industry standard that's yet to be seriously questioned. Coming from Atari to NES, we all thought D pads were ridiculous, remember?

2. Gimmicks are the single biggest thing that advances this industry, embrace them.

3. As I said prior to the DS launch, it's high time we had a good shake up. Having 3 consoles that are basically identical to the non-gamer and hardcore alike is retarded.

4. Anyone who is unwilling to try this thing with an open mind is the kind of gamer I feel has been poisoning the waters for the past ten years. "Don't try it, don't buy it and stick with what you know" That's all fine and dandy, but a whole new generation of gamers are coming up who care not for a 13 button monster of a controller. Like non-adopters of the DS and Nintendogs, you may well get left behind

5. The industry needs more gamers. Video game sales are up, because gamers are getting more hardcore, but there are actually less of us playing than there was 18-20 years ago. Why? Controllers are too scary. Could be this is the one to change that and that's certainly a great prospect

I'll sit quietly whilst you create why the UMD thing is SOOOO different from the Nintendo controller thing....  :roll:

That wasn't me who said that, but I'll pipe in anyway.

UMDs vs. the Revolution controller doesn't strike me as a very fair comparison. UMDs are smaller in capacity, more expensive, and can't be played in as many devices as the ubiquitous DVDs. They don't really bring anything new to the table except their smaller physical diameter. The revolution controller brings a style of control to games that we've never had at home before except in a few obscure standalone tv-games consoles. If anyone can pull this off, it's Nintendo, and the fact that they're willing to try something that gets people talking like this is an accomplishment in itself. They've got a long way before release, so there is plenty of potential for a must-have launch game, just like we got in SMB, Super Mario World, Mario 64, or Rogue Leader for each of the previous machines.

I for one welcome the chance to explore virtual worlds using more than my thumbs as the means of input. I didn't need much convincing, but I'm definitely not going to jump on the shiny new XBOX360 bandwagon right away now -- would much rather see everyones' cards first.

932548[/snapback]

The point is not that the technology is not comparable, the point is that these are both new technologies, and that in one thread Ze_ro states he has not tried the UMD's or the PSP but does not think they are a good idea, yet in this thread he states " I'm just saying don't judge it until you try it. Keep an open mind."

It looks hypocritical and biased to me. Are we only to keep an open mind when its a Nintendo product.....

I also seem to recall a microtransactions thread where everyone was prejudging, when no one had tried them.... and that was ok...

I think the new controller looks stoopid, and as I thought the GC controller was the equivalent of ass, I don't see much of an improvement here, I see a gimmick, an attempt by Nintendo to pull themselves out of last place. I have every intention of trying it out because it is different, but Nintendo has ever fallen short of my expectations, so I don't expect much. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, maybe it will encourage me to get a Revolution- I'm not holding my breath, though.

I have the feeling that this won't make it to the release. What any way you look at it, this is going to be a nightmare for so many major game genres.

I wouldn't want to play an FPS on it (unless the main controller was tilt senesitive), and that B button doesn't look analouge, which makes playing driving games a bit crappy. Fighters wouldn't benefit from the button or D-pad layout, either.

How long after released will some third part company make a adaptor that'll let you plug in Cube pads to that... thing?

932594[/snapback]

First of all, this is the big unveiling, I don't see Nintendo changing much, maybe adding another button here and there.

Second, it is tilt sensitive, and it is the best setup ever for FPS on a console so far. Basically, the analog attachment in one hand for movement, the remote thingy in the other as a "gun" and you've got much better accuracy than trying to aim with an analog stick.

Also, Cube pads already work with system as it is completely backwards compatible with the Cube. It has 4 Cube ports already built in.

Edit: And for those criticizing the Cube pad, you can say it looked horrible, but it plays absolutely wonderfully, and is likely the most comfortable control I've ever used.

Edited by n8littlefield

Remember the phillips cd-i controller?  Man, I would've thought nintendo would be a little smarter. 

Ah well, it might work as a good controller.  Who knows.

Ha, I was thinking <i>exactly</i> the same thing.

Well, Wario Twisted is hella fun...still feels like a bit of a novelty controller to me, but we'll see how it goes.

hey i thought the playstation 1 controller was stupid looking at first too, gotta give it time to play out. i do wonder though if its not gonna further nintendo going off into its own little world of cutesy puzzle games with no third party support.

The original PS1 controller WAS stupid, and stupid looking. Cramming on extra, non-differentiated shoulder buttons, extending the corners down, and that weird hybrid crosspad button set didn't bring all that much new to the table.

Hey, what's up with NECG anyway??

It looks awkward but until I try it, I won't condemn it.

The N64 controllers looked weird to me now they are some of my favorites. The Jag controllers looked weird to me but I found them to be the best non-analog d-pad controller ever(too bad I hate 95% of the games that use it). I'm a fan of quirky controllers like the DC Maracas, the GC bongos, DC fishing controllers and my all time fav, CV Super Action Sticks so if this is the controller setup, I'm MORE inclined to buy a Revolution.

I've watched the video on Gamespot now, and I have to admit that the controller does look great for a lot of things, but I think ultimately it's going to scare away a lot of people (and will still be crap for fighters, as was the N64 and Cube pads).

This isn't going to pinch many Sony or Microsoft sales, I'm affraid.

Never has the marketing been so important, not only will you have to show people how to use the pad, but as what it can be used for. This perhaps the biggest news in gaming for nearly ten years or so.