IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 14: Journey Escape

Ze_ro

I just thought about a comprimise. If you guys are going to cap the score. Cap the score at 5 million. That way you guys can have a capped score and my score still counts. Also it took me six hours to get to this score. Twin Galaxies describes a marathon as a game that takes atleast 12 hours to play. I still vote no on capping the scores, because of the fact it does keep track of the scores. But if you do cap the scores I would urge you to cap it at 5 million.

I just thought about a comprimise.  If you guys are going to cap the score.  Cap the score at 5 million.  That way you guys can have a capped score and my score still counts.  Also it took me six hours to get to this score.  Twin Galaxies describes a marathon as a game that takes atleast 12 hours to play.  I still vote no on capping the scores, because of the fact it does keep track of the scores.    But if you do cap the scores I would urge you to cap it at 5 million.

951428[/snapback]

I must have an updated rom that decides to not keep track...

Oh well, I shall take pics at each rollover.

Unfortunately, I have to go to work, although it feels like I could play this forever...

Not that I'd want to.

And I would vote no for the cap. If someone here wants the points that bad, let them earn them.

Edited by davepesc

I don't care whether it gets capped or not, but either cap it at one million or don't cap it at all. If it gets capped at one million, I may spend the time and roll the score. If it doesn't get capped, I've already played my last game for this week. Perhaps players who spent time marathoning the game could be awarded a bonus point for each million scored beyond the cap. With a cap and bonus points, players who don't have time to marathon the game would have some incentive to participate this week, while those that marathon the game would receive a reward for doing so.

If you wanted the game to be capped why did you go to 2 million?  :roll:

951420[/snapback]

The only reason I played my game to 2 million points is that when I noticed the 1 at the end of my score after surpassing 1 million, I assumed that it was a way of counting each rollover. In order to verify my theory, I rolled it again in order to see a 2 at the end of my score.

So, I merely scored 2 million to satisfy my curiosity on how the game tracks the rollovers. On the other hand, I also enjoy playing. Sometimes I just play on just to play. When we did Yar's Revenge in the first HSC season, I played to over 3 million points, even though I knew the scores were being capped at 999,999.

Be proud of your 5 million+ score! Don't feel that it was a waste of time if the score is capped. Regardless of that, you acomplished a great game!

If you wanted the game to be capped why did you go to 2 million? 

I vote to not have my score capped, I freakin worked to hard to have this snatched away from me. From all indications this looked like a game that you guys were not going to cap. It said nothing about this in Zeros post. 5th ghost posted double what a capped score should be. This is extremly frustrating I repeat

I would not have gone to 5 million and wasted so much of my time if I had realized my score was going to be capped.

If you cap it then no one can beat you. You will have credit for first place sealed up. Everyone knows you got 5M+ also. Maybe Zero could cap the score and then post the actual scores of those affected by the cap in parenthesis next to their first place ranking.

I don't plan to run my score up to that margin, so I don't really care which choice you make.

I say cap it at a million, and maybe give one bonus point for every rollover AFTER the first.

So, scoring 2,000,000 would give you 1 bonus point.

5 million would give you 4 bonus points.

951546[/snapback]

I REALLY like that idea. What a great time to catch up to Spiceware :cool:

I say cap it at a million, and maybe give one bonus point for every rollover AFTER the first.

951546[/snapback]

I REALLY like that idea. What a great time to catch up to Spiceware :cool:

951640[/snapback]

Errr...if you do that, maybe cap the bonus points at 10. :ponder:

I decided to quit and call it a night at $419,900. Fun game. I may play it again, depending on how many people beat my score.

I didn't realize that pressing the button did anything until half way through my game. That made it a lot easier. I'm wondering if there's any reason you wouldn't just hold down the button the whole game though. I mean, why put that feature in there in the first place?

This isn't such a bad idea... although I'd probably do something more like capping the score at a million, but adding bonus points at set scores like say, 5 million, 10 million and 20 million... sorta discourages marathon competitions, but rewards those of you with lots of patience and too much time on your hands :P

--Zero

So is it capped or not?

951826[/snapback]

Its what he says. capped at a mil, bonus points for extra.

951832[/snapback]

Are you sure? Ze_ro's response sounds rather noncommittal to me. I'd like to know for sure what we're doing here before I devote a large block of time to this.

952143[/snapback]

Yeah, it sounds like he is in favor of capping at a million, but not really in favor of the bonus points.

So is it capped or not?

951826[/snapback]

Its what he says. capped at a mil, bonus points for extra.

951832[/snapback]

Are you sure? Ze_ro's response sounds rather noncommittal to me. I'd like to know for sure what we're doing here before I devote a large block of time to this.

952143[/snapback]

Yeah, it sounds like he is in favor of capping at a million, but not really in favor of the bonus points.

952185[/snapback]

OK, thanks.

Rolled it.

post-2851-1129933384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christophero Sly

One argument in favor of not capping it is. That it is unprecedented to cap a game that actually keeps tract of the score. It has always been tradition to allow the player to go up to as far as the game keeps track of it. In this case the game keeps tract up to 100,000 million. It seems to me the original intentions of the programmers was to allow the players to do this.

One argument in favor of not capping it is.  That it is unprecedented to cap a game that actually keeps tract of the score.  It has always been tradition to allow the player to go up to as far as the game keeps track of it.  In this case the game keeps tract up to 100,000 million.  It seems to me the original intentions of the programmers was to allow the players to do this.

952234[/snapback]

Except for my game, which for some reason, seems to not keep track.

Does anyone else have a game that is like that? Being that the Rom rolls it on AA, I'll probably give it a go on my cuttle cart 2.

Edited by keilbaca

One argument in favor of not capping it is.  That it is unprecedented to cap a game that actually keeps tract of the score.  It has always been tradition to allow the player to go up to as far as the game keeps track of it.  In this case the game keeps tract up to 100,000 million.  It seems to me the original intentions of the programmers was to allow the players to do this.

952234[/snapback]

I guess, but do we really want to waste so much manpower on this game? Suppose I wrote a game that was really fun and challenging until you got to 100,000 points, but after that the game changed: every five seconds and arrow appears. If, within five seconds, you push the joystick in that direction you get a point and the game will continue (five seconds after the arrow appeared). If you fail, the game ends. Score counter goes up to 99,999,999 points.

Such a game might be reasonable for the HSC, up to 100,000 points, but only a masochist would want to keep going beyond that. Scores over 100,000 measure nothing beyond the player's endurance and willingness to play a very boring game without messing up.