IGNORED

I decided to buy a refurbished NES.

On November 1st I decided to buy a Refurbished NES with new more durable pin connectors, clean up and fixed. I'm also going to buy the Messiah NES AV gold Cables, and maybe the new Messiah NES AC Adapter. I'm sick of not being able to play games NES perfect or not being able to play Castlevania 3. Its torture.

The second generation NESes do not have Composite video out. Only RF.

Fixing the pin connectors isn't that big of an endevour, but I find soldering a bunch of wires to create a video mod is!

954118[/snapback]

Especially since they're quite well-known for their rather poor video quality even after modding.

Nintendo borked the video circuit up horrifically, and it takes a very involved mod to get rid of the artifacts.

Amazingly, the FamiCom2 doesn't suffer from these issues. It features a properly-designed video section, and no RF modulator.

I have NES systems with everything for $60 in my store and they have the new 72 pin installed. They work great with the original power pack why would you spend more money on an aftermarket power pack? The system has AV outputs on the side and any good RCA cord will do the trick if you want to hook it up that way. Now after the pin is put in its very tight to put game in and out but thats what makes the great contact.

Nintendo system

Jason

On November 1st I decided to buy a Refurbished NES with new more durable pin connectors, clean up and fixed.

Are you from the future? :?

954499[/snapback]

Then tell me, "future boy", who is president in the United States in 1985?

954742[/snapback]

Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan, THE ACTOR!?!?... .... no wonder your president is an actor, he has to look good on TV.

The second generation NESes do not have Composite video out. Only RF.

Fixing the pin connectors isn't that big of an endevour, but I find soldering a bunch of wires to create a video mod is!

954118[/snapback]

Especially since they're quite well-known for their rather poor video quality even after modding.

Nintendo borked the video circuit up horrifically, and it takes a very involved mod to get rid of the artifacts.

Amazingly, the FamiCom2 doesn't suffer from these issues. It features a properly-designed video section, and no RF modulator.

954502[/snapback]

Agreed. It even uses the same connector as the SNES, N64 and Gamecube to hook up to your TV. So, you can even get S-Video with it.

EDIT: It also comes with the U.S. NES controller connector and two dogbone controllers that have the notorious much smaller cable length.

I had a chance to own one but I got it for dojosky. He sure did get a deal on it, but if you would like to get one here ya go: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Famicom-Console-JP...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by keilbaca

Agreed. It even uses the same connector as the SNES, N64 and Gamecube to hook up to your TV. So, you can even get S-Video with it.

It has s-video lines?!?!

Damn, now I actually want one.

My toaster hasn't given me any trouble, but if I can step up the image quality a bit...

It has s-video lines?!?!

My toaster hasn't given me any trouble, but if I can step up the image quality a bit...

954964[/snapback]

I seriously doubt it has s-video lines, I should have tried it when I had my hands on one. I got this mad katz cable with xbox/ps2/gamecube with composite and s-video. I know s-video works on both GC and SNES but I never had a chance to try the New Famicom. I would imagine it would though being it uses the same connector. Worth a shot.

Edited by keilbaca

It has s-video lines?!?!

954964[/snapback]

I seriously doubt it has s-video lines, I should have tried it when I had my hands on one. I got this mad katz cable with xbox/ps2/gamecube with composite and s-video. I know s-video works on both GC and SNES but I never had a chance to try the New Famicom. I would imagine it would though being it uses the same connector. Worth a shot.

954967[/snapback]

Well, SNES2 doesn't do s-vid, despite the connector.

GC, N64, and SNES2 won't do RGB in the US, again despite the connector.

I've heard euro NES2s can do RGB out, but I'm fairly sure that's due to extra hardware inside the deck, and not native.

The PPU works in chroma/luma internally, but only composite video is brought out on the toaster. I've heard conflicting data on whether the NES2 use the same chip.

It has s-video lines?!?!

954964[/snapback]

954967[/snapback]

Well, SNES2 doesn't do s-vid, despite the connector.

GC, N64, and SNES2 won't do RGB in the US, again despite the connector.

I've heard euro NES2s can do RGB out, but I'm fairly sure that's due to extra hardware inside the deck, and not native.

The PPU works in chroma/luma internally, but only composite video is brought out on the toaster. I've heard conflicting data on whether the NES2 use the same chip.

954976[/snapback]

According to this: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/famicom_av.txt

S-Video does not work.

And you can buy them brand spanking new here: http://gamechoiceclub.com/navigateProduct.asp?product_id=543

Edited by keilbaca

I'm thinking about buying that NES from Trade N Games or a Generation Nex from Messiah, I hope I can still order on November 1st.

Oh and I can't buy a AV Famicom, even though I think I had a converter somewhere, the AV Famicom is way too expensive, it may be 100 dollars, but if I order from overseas it will be around 160 dollars *Then even more if Customs gets it*. And I'm only planning to spend only a little over 150 dollars this month on stuff. Like a real NES, Castlevania Curse of Darkness, a AV Cable for my NES that I'm hopefully going to get, etc.

I once had a NES 2, but I also once had a NES 1, and I remember the NES 1 having better picture quality then NES 2 either way with RF or AV.

Edited by Lacan

I'm thinking about buying that NES from Trade N Games or a Generation Nex from Messiah, I hope I can still order on November 1st.

Oh and I can't buy a AV Famicom, even though I think I had a converter somewhere, the AV Famicom is way too expensive, it may be 100 dollars, but if I order from overseas it will be around 160 dollars *Then even more if Customs gets it*. And I'm only planning to spend only a little over 150 dollars this month on stuff. Like a real NES, Castlevania Curse of Darkness, a AV Cable for my NES that I'm hopefully going to get, etc.

I once had a NES 2, but I also once had a NES 1, and I remember the NES 1 having better picture quality then NES 2 either way with RF or AV.

955069[/snapback]

NES2 is pretty well known for it's crappy video out, at least in America. Duno what the european decks are like. the FamiCom2 is suppsoed to have a very nice picture, though.

But if it's too expensive, it's too expensive.

Edited by JB

If you can find a Japanese top loader NES, they have the A/V output, unlike the US version.  But you'll have to use an adapter for your US games.

955697[/snapback]

Yep, I'm going to get one with a adapter to play NES games on it. I had a Famicom 2 (also known as the New Famicom) and it rocked. I didn't have the adapter to play NES games on it, but I would have loved to, due to the fact that it would be perfect booting every time, and a/v output.

I'd most likely overclock it too, but then again, but how can I resist? :D

I have NES systems with everything for $60 in my store and they have the new 72 pin installed. They work great with the original power pack why would you spend more money on an aftermarket power pack? The system has AV outputs on the side and any good RCA cord will do the trick if you want to hook it up that way. Now after the pin is put in its very tight to put game in and out but thats what makes the great contact.

Nintendo system

Jason

954617[/snapback]

I highly recommend buying from Jason. He is one of the few people that I have met from AtariAge. A true class act. If anyone is ever in the St. Louis area you have to check out his store.

Edit 2: I'll just get a Generation Nex anyway, because the only problem with it is that it can't play Castlevania 3 and I shouldn't judge that.

955727[/snapback]

There are many other games that are completely unplayable on the NEX:

After Burner - garbage on screen

Castlevania 3 - dark green screen

Gauntlet (licensed) - minty green screen

Gemfire - solid black screen

Laser Invasion - minty green screen

Rad Racer II - complete hardware freakout, no power light

... and many others.

Furthermore, some of the games run, but have glitchy graphics, or significantly inaccurate audio. Read this NES Dev thread for more impressions of the system and some compatibility tests and accuracy tests:

http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=698

You are better off with a professionally refurbished toaster NES.