IGNORED

Amusing thread over at DP

YOK-dfa

What's with the DP bashing? Seriously.

958503[/snapback]

I speak only for myself.

1) Their server is unreliable, and they go down frequently.

2) Their message board is infested with crap icons and other assorted bling. You can turn it off by using a different board theme, but when you do that, you lose all the post dates. Lame.

Other than these major gripes, I kinda like the place. Lots of traffic, plenty of extra files (their MIDI selection makes for some tough choices if you can only choose one cell phone ring), the "spokesmodels," and the price guides are all a lot of fun.

I prefer AtariAge, however, because it seems much better run and much more reliable.

And don't forget the stuff like the hidden code in River Raid to unlock the Balloons :P

957714[/snapback]

Tanks! :roll:

:)

958095[/snapback]

Yeah, I tried to tell 'em there were never any tanks in 2600 River Raid. They asked Carol Shaw directly. It is really cool that she saved her source code and personally looked into the matter. :D

I've maxed River Raid and it never gets any more difficult after about 200,000. But when you try to max River Raid II, you'll be in for some surprises around 500-600K. :ponder: :ponder: But, I don't want to give away the secrets...

958367[/snapback]

I never could get into RR II, but now you have me wondering... Any hints on what we might see?

Tempest

i've made lots of good connections and had great conversations at both sites over the years. sadly though i cant even follow a thread at DP these days, it really seems odd considering how many tech savvy types are over there, you'd think they could fix it for good.

the main difference between here and there is the average poster age (and all that follows from that). over at DP you get some teens into anime, RPGs and the new console stuff. over here the vintage "atari" name alone pretty much keeps this place teen/otaku/fanboy free. i tried to encourage the idea of DP splitting the video game board into modern and classic but thats as far as it went. i dont post and read much about modern systems and somedays thats all you find ongoing at DP.

Sure there have been long thread about fake stuf here as well

Like what? :ponder:

but, things are a bit more orderly here vs DP in that the moderators here do their job... That type of thing can almost be expected from DP.

957621[/snapback]

Mods here are complete trigger-happy assholes, especially that clown CPUWIZ. :roll:

957630[/snapback]

Does "Knight Rider 2600" ring a bell?

Seriously, I love AA and like DP. I agree that the mods are overbearing at DP, and you can't post a picture of your toilet there without 5 people racing to be the first to tell you that your toilet already was discussed in a topic from 1998.

Then it gets locked.

Sure there have been long thread about fake stuf here as well

Like what? :ponder:

but, things are a bit more orderly here vs DP in that the moderators here do their job... That type of thing can almost be expected from DP.

957621[/snapback]

Mods here are complete trigger-happy assholes, especially that clown CPUWIZ. :roll:

957630[/snapback]

Does "Knight Rider 2600" ring a bell?

Seriously, I love AA and like DP. I agree that the mods are overbearing at DP, and you can't post a picture of your toilet there without 5 people racing to be the first to tell you that your toilet already was discussed in a topic from 1998.

Then it gets locked.

958750[/snapback]

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Too true!!!

:ponder:

new_toilet01.jpg

Lets see what happenshere.

i tried to encourage the idea of DP splitting the video game board into modern and classic but thats as far as it went.

I think that would have been a really good idea! In Joe's thread about starting his store, someone mentioned spliting the store down the middle as a classic side/modern side of games & systems, an idea Skelly had or someone.. But I could see having the video game board cut into two. I think that would help alot. I see very little classi threads pop up, and they are usually out numbered 10 to 1 by the current gen, and next gen crap. Few hours later on a day when they are up, and you can't even find the classic thread anymore, they get pushed off the page.

Yeah, I tried to tell 'em...

Who is 'em? Activision?

958462[/snapback]

"'em" is a short slang form of "them" referring to the original posters of the thread on River Raid Tanks you were talking about. I guess the process of asking Carol had already begun before I threw my hat in the ring. It's OK because I thought it was very nice of her to check on it. :)

And don't forget the stuff like the hidden code in River Raid to unlock the Balloons :P

957714[/snapback]

Tanks! :roll:

:)

958095[/snapback]

Yeah, I tried to tell 'em there were never any tanks in 2600 River Raid. They asked Carol Shaw directly. It is really cool that she saved her source code and personally looked into the matter. :D

I've maxed River Raid and it never gets any more difficult after about 200,000. But when you try to max River Raid II, you'll be in for some surprises around 500-600K. :ponder: :ponder: But, I don't want to give away the secrets...

958367[/snapback]

I never could get into RR II, but now you have me wondering... Any hints on what we might see?

Tempest

958554[/snapback]

I will only say this: When you think you are cruising along and have mastered the game, don't get too complacent. Because, when you get a score up around 500K+ you're in for some river terrain that you've never seen prior to this point in the game. It's certainly an added twist in the game's max difficulty amd surprisingly challenging! You must try it. I don't want to spoil all the fun because for all I know, Todd Rogers and I are the only ones who have maxed this game. He says it's much harder than River Raid, but you have to expect that from a guy who has gotten 700K+ on his first life in River Raid. I've never come close to that, but I think River Raid II is easier.

I can't believe that Digital Press is still down.  I wonder if they got a major virus or something :ponder:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/classi...mes/message/450

959500[/snapback]

Wow. Thats really lame. Weeks? God, I hope they get a solution fast. I need my DP just as much (if not more...) then my AA fix. Stupid script kiddies.

I like DP more, simply because I can only talk about the same atari games so many times, whereas that site is far more, shall we say, encompassing?

Icons don't bother me, what with my broadband internet, and I'm friends with more people from over there, by far.

Sucks that it's the target of attacks, however.

Sucks that it's the target of attacks, however.

959576[/snapback]

Sucks that they can't keep up with security updates, too. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch, etc. etc. ... Blaming the PhpBB software is lame, since it was THEIR choice to run that software.

I wonder how much they were paying for hosting? I wonder if they've got a good backup ... :ponder:

You know. They really should have gone with new forum sotware vs. keeping phpBB and adding a ton of hacks to it. I love phpBB, but if you run a really popular forum, it's just so much better to find a replacement. Maybe Al should talk to Joe about Invision.

I'd much rather have a working forum (I love as many gaming forums as possible) instead of a bunch of MOD's to give me fake money. I just hope I didn't lose my 13,000+ Meseta. ;) :P

I keed, I keed. Fuck the Meseta, just bring back our DP.

Side note, I hate Newsgroup style layouts. I can never figure out how to read them! I just want it all threaded in line from oldest to newest! No indenting, no links, just one page with all the posts in line. Is that too much to ask?

"I'd much rather have a working forum (I love as many gaming forums as possible) instead of a bunch of MOD's to give me fake money. I just hope I didn't lose my 13,000+ Meseta. "

What was the point of that Meseta stuff anyways? I asked and never got a clear answer, it seemed pointless. I don't like that forum anyways since I don't think the moderators do a very good job. They're only interested in avoiding duplicate topics and moving threads constantly.

I find it hard to feel sorry for DP since this isn't the first time and there are obviously more secure forum software available (I can always count on AA being here for example).

Edited by Atariboy