IGNORED

New Atari 7800 release

holygrailvideogames.com

So....................

Getting back to the point!

Is Combat 1990 just two player or is there a 1 player game?

Does it have a lable on the fron & end?

Any POKEY sound, or just TIA?

Has anyonbe hear played it, is it fun???

I just blew $49.99 for a new Pokemon game (Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness) so I think $39.99 is still within a decent price range for collectors, but I PLAY my games, has to be fun to be worth it!  ;)

968050[/snapback]

:D How about a reduced price for tow or three people who do reviews, if they love it or at least like it I'll get one or if it gets good reviews here.

I'm not exactly sure how this cart improves combat.

Can you tell us about each of the game selects?

Do you have reverse gear?

two types of shot: Ltbtn = straight shot, rtbtn = pong shot ?

Can the jets/plains now do something cool?

Are they (jets) included?

How about joust like helicopters too?

Did you put in any boat leves?

Are there power ups?

I must know these things. :D

The game is 1or 2 player tanks vs 6 CPU controlled tanks.

Yes, there will be cartridge labels.

Just TIA sound.

It won 2nd place in the competition (there were only 4 entries).

I don't know if it's an improvement on the original.

The game selects are 1 player / 2 players.

Yes, there is reverse - I guess that's an improvement.

Enemies shoot straight or guided missiles. players shoot pong missiles (up to 2 at a time).

One button fires, the other is shield on. When you fire the shield turns off.

No jets or biplanes.

No helicopters.

No boats.

Yes, there are flying saucers.

Yes, there are power-ups to recharge your shields - guess that's another improvement.

WOW Harry...........

You rock, BTW

Taking the most common 2600 game (that everyone on the planet has played!) and reinventing it.

Reverse, it's about time!!! I thought I was the only one that noticed we needed it.

Pong shots, the only way to fly! Bouncing ordiniance, what could be better!?!?

I'm hyped/impressed at the same time. The exact oppisite to what JINX did for me!

Any other projects your working on Harry??

The game is 1or 2 player tanks vs 6 CPU controlled tanks.

Yes, there will be cartridge labels.

Just TIA sound.

I don't know if it's an improvement on the original.

The game selects are 1 player / 2 players.

Yes, there is reverse - I guess that's an improvement.

Enemies shoot straight or guided missiles.  players shoot pong missiles (up to 2 at a time).

One button fires, the other is shield on.  When you fire the shield turns off.

No jets or biplanes.

No helicopters.

No boats.

Yes, there are flying saucers.

Yes, there are power-ups to recharge your shields - guess that's another improvement.

968060[/snapback]

Wow, this does sound exciting! I'm learning to develop for the 7800 right now and had planned on putting together a very similar game based on the eight-player Tank coin-op. Mine was going to be called "Combat 3," because it would have been the third Combat game (after the original and the unreleased Combat 2), and because the original two-player Combat game raised to the third power would give you eight players.

But anyway ... I think the 7800 is very well-suited for a game of this kind and I can't wait to get a copy!

Edited by jaybird3rd

If it's going to be sold, any chance of a PAL version? The current version that I got does nasty things sadly on my machine, so I guess it needs some compatibility work doing on it...

968078[/snapback]

PAL isn't on my list right now as it would be a trial and error process and I don't have a PAL system/TV to test it. The same for SECAM and those other non-NTSC formats.

Sorry,

Harry

PAL isn't on my list right now as it would be a trial and error process and I don't have a PAL system/TV to test it.  The same for SECAM and those other non-NTSC formats.

968081[/snapback]

IFAIK there are no 7800s other than NTSC and PAL. Nope, no SECAM version with only 16 colors, no 480p version either. Supporting PAL shouldn't be much more than adding some null zones to your DLL to add in the extra 50 lines. (Which is probably what is causing Mayhem's problems.)

Of course, that's the easiest way to support PAL. To really support PAL you'll need to use those extra lines and make any necessary adjustments to the code to compensate for a 50Hz frame rate instead of 60Hz. IIRC the 7800 PAL palette is nearly identical to the NTSC palette, not the 2600 PAL palette.

Since I was one of the judges for the homebrew contest I suppose I'm one of the few people that has played it. :)

One player gameplay is pretty good but two player is way better. If you enjoyed the originally combat (or used to enjoy it) then you will most likely want to pick this one up too.

If I get some time I will try to record a couple of small video captures and post them on my site.

Mitch

If it's going to be sold, any chance of a PAL version? The current version that I got does nasty things sadly on my machine, so I guess it needs some compatibility work doing on it...

968078[/snapback]

PAL isn't on my list right now as it would be a trial and error process and I don't have a PAL system/TV to test it. The same for SECAM and those other non-NTSC formats.

Sorry,

Harry

968081[/snapback]

Hey Harry,

If you want to borow one of my PAL 7800s for like a month to do the conversion let me know.

Mitch

Hi Harry:

I always felt that you should have won first place in that... At least you had an original game, whereas I was hacking an existing game.

I guess it doesn't matter - I never did get the prize anyway :P

I've always liked Combat, so I will most likely pick one up.

Bob

I guess it doesn't matter - I never did get the prize anyway  :P

968166[/snapback]

That sucks! Why didn't you get it? That "Vader" proline looked sweet.

EDIT: Actually on topic here..lol.. I would have to try this new combat game for sure before buying it just like I do any other 7800 game old or new. A limited "shareware" type ROM would even sufice to decide if I was gonna buy it or not. The timer idea already mentioned would be a great way to do it IMO.

Edited by silver_surfer

Why doesn't someone buy this and post a few reviews? The game looks pretty cool. It seems like we have an official 7800 homebrew to talk about now ("official" meaning actually produced on a cartridge and not a conversion or a hack). The dawning of the 7800 homebrew era is now upon us. Hopefully there are still a few game coders left who have been keeping some secrets from us. :ponder: :cool:

Why doesn't someone buy this and post a few reviews? The game looks pretty cool. It seems like we have an official 7800 homebrew to talk about now ("official" meaning actually produced on a cartridge and not a conversion or a hack). The dawning of the 7800 homebrew era is now upon us. Hopefully there are still a few game coders left who have been keeping some secrets from us.  :ponder:  :cool:

968217[/snapback]

That's just what I was wondering ... why shouldn't buyers just post reviews of the game here on the forums so other interested people can make up their own minds? That would be a whole lot easier than finding a way to let everyone try it without giving away the game. I'll certainly post a review when I get mine.

As for new 7800 games, I can't wait to see them, and I certainly can't wait to add my own (I'm working on some ideas right now).

Why doesn't someone buy this and post a few reviews? The game looks pretty cool. It seems like we have an official 7800 homebrew to talk about now ("official" meaning actually produced on a cartridge and not a conversion or a hack). The dawning of the 7800 homebrew era is now upon us. Hopefully there are still a few game coders left who have been keeping some secrets from us.  :ponder:  :cool:

968217[/snapback]

That's just what I was wondering ... why shouldn't buyers just post reviews of the game here on the forums so other interested people can make up their own minds? That would be a whole lot easier than finding a way to let everyone try it without giving away the game. I'll certainly post a review when I get mine.

As for new 7800 games, I can't wait to see them, and I certainly can't wait to add my own (I'm working on some ideas right now).

968225[/snapback]

I'm buying one and reviewing it at Cousin Vinnie's Atari 7800 Panoramic Froo-Froo this weekend.

Cousin Vinnie

www.flipsiderunner.com/7800

Hi Harry:

I always felt that you should have won first place in that... At least you had an original game, whereas I was hacking an existing game.

I guess it doesn't matter - I never did get the prize anyway :P

I've always liked Combat, so I will most likely pick one up.

Bob

968166[/snapback]

Really? Send me a PM. I thought you had received it already....

OK, here is a quick video clip I made. It's a 1.5 meg WMV file, if you plan on watching it fifty times please download it to your PC and don't abuse my bandwidth. :-o

Here's the link: http://www.atari7800.org/video/combat1990.wmv

Oh, and I have no idea what those bars at the top and bottom are, I think my capture software added them.

Mitch

OK, here is a quick video clip I made. It's a 1.5 meg WMV file, if you plan on watching it fifty times please download it to your PC and don't abuse my bandwidth. :-o

Oh, and I have no idea what those bars at the top and bottom are, I think my capture software added them.

Mitch

968327[/snapback]

Wow that looks pretty damn cool. After the 48th time watching it, it reminded me of something funny...

J/K Mitch. Do you mind if I put that video on the Froo-Froo?

Cousin Vinnie

Mitch

968327[/snapback]

Wow that looks pretty damn cool. After the 48th time watching it, it reminded me of something funny...

J/K Mitch. Do you mind if I put that video on the Froo-Froo?

Cousin Vinnie

968352[/snapback]

Sure, go ahead, then they can use your bandwidth too. :D :-o :-o

Mitch