IGNORED

New Atari 7800 release

holygrailvideogames.com

I'm actually not sure if the 50 line thing is causing the problem. I actually get a stable picture on my PAL 7800 with the ROM in question, but the grey background flickers horribly between that colour, white and a couple of other dark shades in a pseudo "strobe" effect. I'd have to take a pic when I get home (currently on holiday!) to demostrate.

I'm actually not sure if the 50 line thing is causing the problem. I actually get a stable picture on my PAL 7800 with the ROM in question, but the grey background flickers horribly between that colour, white and a couple of other dark shades in a pseudo "strobe" effect. I'd have to take a pic when I get home (currently on holiday!) to demostrate.

968887[/snapback]

The problem is probably display interupts being triggered on extra random data it is interupting as the display list list. this can cause stuff to go out of sync depending on how it is coded I imagine.

968887[/snapback]

The problem is probably display interupts being triggered on extra random data it is interupting as the display list list. this can cause stuff to go out of sync depending on how it is coded I imagine.

969078[/snapback]

All the timing is locked into the frame rate. I have one DL interrupt above the score and one at the bottom of the screen. It changes the background color between gray and black at those. The bottom one starts the single-buffer DLL updates and the top one starts the collision/movement updates for the next screen (60 fps updates!). So if one or both updates finish too soon on a PAL system, it could get out of sync.

All the timing is locked into the frame rate.  I have one DL interrupt above the score and one at the bottom of the screen.  It changes the background color between gray and black at those.  The bottom one starts the single-buffer DLL updates and the top one starts the collision/movement updates for the next screen (60 fps updates!).  So if one or both updates finish too soon on a PAL system, it could get out of sync.

969290[/snapback]

It's more what's in RAM after your DLL. Since a PAL 7800 expects 50 more lines, it's going to read the next 3 bytes until it thinks it's finished those 50 lines. So if the first of those 3 byte "DLL entries" has the MSB set, then it's going to trigger a DLI and muck up the background color.

Try simply adding four 16 line DLL entries after your main DLL which point to a null display list.

• 2 weeks later...
:D How about a reduced price for tow or three people who do reviews, if they love it or at least like it I'll get one or if it gets good reviews here.

I'm not exactly sure how this cart improves combat.

Can you tell us about each of the game selects?

Do you have reverse gear?

two types of shot: Ltbtn = straight shot, rtbtn = pong shot ?

Can the jets/plains now do something cool?

Are they (jets) included?

How about joust like helicopters too?

Did you put in any boat leves?

Are there power ups?

I must know these things.  :D

968051[/snapback]

I got my copy in the mail over the weekend. I haven't had much time to play it, but if you are expecting Combat... Don't. It has some wierd physics. Tanks move like they are turbocharged relative to the original combat. They can go in reverse. There is bounced shots. No planes, jets or boats. There is a saucer-like object moving about the playfiel which you can shoot. The game was timed.

That is about I can say basd upon my minimal play. I need to read the instructions because I don't really know what I am supposed to be doing. It is appears to be a bizarre update of Combat.

-Lee

Hi Harry!

I believe that there was a Combat game hidden in the Monitor cart, if memory serves (which it doesn't these days).

http://www.atari7800.org/screenshots/Monitorscreen.htm

Is this just porting of that to cart-form (hence the name Combat 1990)? Or, is this something completley different? Just curious as to the origin.

Unfortunately, I remember very little of the monitor cart, but it was a cool concept that could have potentially brought the 7800 out of its slump when I was a kid. I have one at home, but haven't plugged it in in ages.

-John

Hi Harry!

I believe that there was a Combat game hidden in the Monitor cart, if memory serves (which it doesn't these days).

http://www.atari7800.org/screenshots/Monitorscreen.htm

Is this just porting of that to cart-form (hence the name Combat 1990)?  Or, is this something completley different?  Just curious as to the origin.

Unfortunately, I remember very little of the monitor cart, but it was a cool concept that could have potentially brought the 7800 out of its slump when I was a kid.  I have one at home, but haven't plugged it in in ages.

-John

977438[/snapback]

All that was in the Monitor cart was bumpertanks - which is similar to the attract mode screen of Combat 1990. It was there to demonstrate software collision detection between 8 objects. Combat 1990 has to detect collisions for up to 60 objects.

I got my copy in the mail over the weekend. I haven't had much time to play it, but if you are expecting Combat... Don't. It has some wierd physics. Tanks move like they are turbocharged relative to the original combat. They can go in reverse. There is bounced shots. No planes, jets or boats. There is a saucer-like object moving about the playfiel which you can shoot. The game was timed. 

That is about I can say basd upon my minimal play. I need to read the instructions because I don't really know what I am supposed to be doing. It is appears to be a bizarre update of Combat.

-Lee

Weird physics? What physics? You are giving the game too much credit. Next thing someone will criticise the A.I. which there isn't any of that either.

As far as what to do... "If it moves, shoot it". Avoid getting shot for high scores.

-Lee

Weird physics? What physics? You are giving the game too much credit. Next thing someone will criticise the A.I. which there isn't any of that either.

As far as what to do... "If it moves, shoot it". Avoid getting shot for high scores.

978005[/snapback]

Hi Harry

do not panic;your game is really good.I would be happy,if i could do such a nice game.

greetings Gambler172

All that was in the Monitor cart was bumpertanks - which is similar to the attract mode screen of Combat 1990.  It was there to demonstrate software collision detection between 8 objects.  Combat 1990 has to detect collisions for up to 60 objects.

So, why the 1990? Is this actually an ancient homebrew that is just seeing the light of day? It would be kind of cool to hear a little about some history behind the thing.

-John

Actually, I didn't know what to expect from this forum.  I got troll'ed when I mentioned that I preferred A800 Ballblazer to the 7800 version.

I dunno, I actually enjoy the A800 version as well. Plus the A800 version also has an intro as opposed to the 7800 version. I guess some just want to jump right into the game after a title screen.

All that was in the Monitor cart was bumpertanks - which is similar to the attract mode screen of Combat 1990.  It was there to demonstrate software collision detection between 8 objects.  Combat 1990 has to detect collisions for up to 60 objects.

So, why the 1990? Is this actually an ancient homebrew that is just seeing the light of day? It would be kind of cool to hear a little about some history behind the thing.

-John

978894[/snapback]

Finally someone asked about the name :!:

I was thinking of "Combat 2004", but games in this time period have much more features.

I could have done this game in 1990, but was more interested in the Lynx at that time.

I started with the code from my BumperTanks demo that I included on the 7800/2600 Monitor cartridge.

And 1990 looks like a nice number. Put them all together and that's where it came from.

As far as history - I read about the 2004/2005 contest here on AtariAge. I guessed the odds of winning were much better than the lottery. So I dug out the demo source and made it into a game.

Harry

Actually, I didn't know what to expect from this forum.  I got troll'ed when I mentioned that I preferred A800 Ballblazer to the 7800 version.

I dunno, I actually enjoy the A800 version as well. Plus the A800 version also has an intro as opposed to the 7800 version. I guess some just want to jump right into the game after a title screen.

979206[/snapback]

Yes, I loved that cool intro. At the time no game had anything like it, especially Atari 800 games which tended to blank the screen to get more CPU cycles. And it wasn't exactly the same every time. Even today most games have the wimpy progress bars or spinners while they load parts of the game. There isn't any excuse for it either. Chances are when they realize that they could put things in there, they will likely put commercials in those spots :(

979206[/snapback]

Yes, I loved that cool intro. At the time no game had anything like it, especially Atari 800 games which tended to blank the screen to get more CPU cycles. And it wasn't exactly the same every time. Even today most games have the wimpy progress bars or spinners while they load parts of the game. There isn't any excuse for it either. Chances are when they realize that they could put things in there, they will likely put commercials in those spots :(

979310[/snapback]

That's wipEout XL for ya right there. I know it doesn't say Red Bull on the loading screen, but the player is probably thinking of Red Bull while their game loads.

I dunno, I actually enjoy the A800 version as well.  Plus the A800 version also has an intro as opposed to the 7800 version.  I guess some just want to jump right into the game after a title screen.

The 7800 version has an intro, it just doesn't stay in it long enough to hear the all of the music. The 800/5200 version stays at the title screen if you leave it alone, but the 7800 plays an attract mode game.

I got #9. :D

Of course now the people who have the eight numbers lower than me will post and make me look bad. :-o

I was a little surprised to see my name printed on there besides the number, makes me glad I didn't ask for it as a Christmas gift like I almost did. It would have been a little anoying to have it with my brother's or one of my parent's names on it. :twisted:

Mitch

I know it is bad form to be hyping your own product... BUT I just got my cartridge from Video 61 and I am amazed at how well it looks.  Nice box, laminated manual, and a numbered cartridge even.  I got #14  :(

981380[/snapback]

How in the heck did you not get #1? I would have stipulated it.