IGNORED

Enduro is my current favorite 2600 game

Cafeman

I've always loved Enduro. Well, I loved it in the 80's until I sold (Gasp!) my 2600.

Since the Philly Classic, I've been playing a game of Enduro every night. Tonight I *almost* got to day 10, but I wrecked too much and was down 45 cars when daybreak hit on day 10. The game is EXHILIARATING and a lot more fun than many 32-bit and up racers I've tried.

Another thing is that I love how the challenge increases as you go. The cars start coming in more road-blocking patterns; sometimes after day 5 you'll run into a complete road block. I usually slow down and let them disappear ahead of me on the horizon, then I accelerate and a new pattern of cars comes down the pike.

By the way, I've been playing it with a Genesis 6-button pad lately and its working nicely. Who's the Enduro fans out there?! SPeak and show yourselves! Is Enduro the best 2600 racing game? It is to me!

Rage Racer for the Playstation is the best racer game for any system, in my opinion.

Have you ever played that cafeman?

I love how the cars look different each time you upgrade them....like that wind component on the front of that one lizard car, that makes it sound like you are at the dentist listening to the drill.

You say Enduro is a great game, and I believe you wholeheartedly, I think I'll add it to my collection.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

Enduro is indeed the best racing game for the 2600. You notice the subtle things that make this game satisfying, like the crack of dawn, the way your car drifts in the turns, the patterns of the cars,the way your car handles in the snow, etc. It really is amazing. Other than Indy 500, there really is no other racing game that approaches Enduro, even Pole Position. I was able to get to eleven days one time in my youth in the eighties. In the later stages you really have to use the break because you can't just race through. The cars form a wall a times.

I rented Rage Racer way back when it was new and very impressive, but didn't play it after that. Mentioning other racers, I liked Genesis Super Monaco GP, Saturn Sega Rally, Dreamcast Test Drive: Le Mans.

As incentive for you weaker Enduro players, do you know that you get 'something' (seen on-screen) when you beat day 5? You gotta get at least to day 5!

I thought I'd be fair and try out the game on my emulator.

I do faintly remember playing it a long time ago. It is no doubt very fun.

I barely made it past day 1 after my second game. I was kind of trying not to go full speed, because I was getting hit too much. Does it allow you 100 miles to catch the leader? I know that the car starts flashing and you have a little bit of time left. How does that work.

The best part has to be all the scenic changes there are. Fog, sunset, darkness...it has it all. Getting to day 10 sounds really crazy. Have anyone ever beaten a day without getting hit?

Even if I say Rage Racer is a great racing game, this game definitely has a whole different mood about it. You forget you even know about other racing games, and it draws you in! The essence of a simple yet awesome game!

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

From the 2nd day on you have 300 cars to pass. As a milestone, I always try to be at 200 cars when the snow hits. If I'm at over 220 when the snow hits, I know I'm behind!

You have to slow down for the snow stages, of course. Just concentrate on making progress and not wrecking. After a few days, a wreck will cause 10 to 20 cars to pass you!

After the snow level, it turns to dusk and then night. You can pass a lot of cars here. I forget my milestone before the fog hits, but you need to be well under 100 cars. Once the fog ends, the timer begins its beeping, which has a psychological effect on your Enduro skills (it scares you into hurrying and hence wrecking more!). If the fog ends and you have under 40 cars left, you *can* make it if you don't wreck.

In the earlier days, I pass my quota in the fog area and then I slow down and take a sip of pop and give my eyes a rest until the day breaks. After Day 5 though, I usually make my 300 quota right when the cars turn taillights back into visible cars again (within 10 seconds or so of daybreak). It's always close after day 5.

It is quite possible to wreck more than once and still beat a day, but it gets harder and harder, especially once the road-block sequences of cars start getting more common. For road blocks, sometimes there is just enough space to squeeze between 2 cars -- slow down to nearly exactly their speed, and concentrate on not touching the cars as you squeeze through. Other road-block configurations are impossible to pass, however. You must either let them outdistance you and cross the horizon, or you can pass the first 1 or 2 cars in the pattern and allow it to scroll off-screen at the bottom as you pass them, then slow down and you'll notice they are gone, giving access to the lane.

Who programmed this game?

Larry Miller created Enduro.

Interesting that you bring up pass quotas. I have them to, but slightly different.

By the time the snow hits I try to have passed at least 100 cars (200) just like you. I try to pass at least another 50-75 in the snow. By the time the fog hits I try to have under 100 left. Then while in the fog, I slow to just above passing speed and try to whittle off those remaining 50-75. That way when the fog clears I'm pretty much in the green.

Then again, I've ever only made it to day 4. Maybe I'll modify my quotas. That beeping noise is possibly the most rattling thing in a VCS game ever. If I hear that I know I'm doomed. I once got beat by 4 cars at daybreak thanks to that beep!

I love Enduro, its the best.

Cross Country Stan

• 7 months later...

*** BUMP OF THREAD ***

I hit a new personal record today on Enduro! I got to day 12, which ended with 57 cars left and 2,021.9 miles. This is the first time I ever got past day 9. YEEEE-HAW!

I courted the beep every day from day 5 forward. Nerve-wracking as it is, I still managed to keep my wits and beat each day until day 12. My 2 yr old was even climbing all over me and kicking me during the race, yet I persevered. But I made too many mistakes on day 12 and wrecked 4 times, killing my chances. I think when I hit the fog I had 150 cars left. I knew I wouldn't make it.

What a great game.

Hey Cafeman, remember me?

LOL! I actually did not remember your alias until I read your Hello, but yes I recall you from RetroSages and ... what was the other place called? It's been a while! So are you going to spill the beans as to your best Enduro score?

Nice hearing from you again!

Not sure about the score, but I think 5 days is the best I've done. Done it quite a few times, but don't recall lasting any longer,

Was it GameSages maybe that was the other site? There was also X-Sages, not sure if you ever posted there. And there was also AtariHQ's forum and Digital Press's forum where I used to be quite active.

This is my "reference game" to demonstrate that the 2600's wider color palette and ability to change it on the fly does in fact allow for games on the system that simply could not be done (at least not with tons of dithering) on systems with fixed color palettes (like the Intellivision or Apple II or C=64). The use of color here is directly intertwined with the gameplay. It's not just eyecandy, although it probably is the only 2600 game that one could consider "immersive" in a visual sense.

It really is a showcase of the strength of the TIA chip.

Has there ever been a more modern driving game that could be considered a successor of Enduro, that has the full day/night/snow/fog environmental treatment?

Activision should have made one by now, that's for sure.

The one thing I miss with Enduro is analog steering and gas pedal. Control is okay but it is, in the end, digital and there is only so much driving feel you can squeeze out of the joystick. There is a lot of tapping of the stick and the button you have to do at times to approximate the precision you could get from analog controls.

The one thing I miss with Enduro is analog steering and gas pedal. Control is okay but it is, in the end, digital and there is only so much driving feel you can squeeze out of the joystick. There is a lot of tapping of the stick and the button you have to do at times to approximate the precision you could get from analog controls.

Sounds like someone is making a request for a driving controller hack :D That would add to the game if it could be done.