IGNORED

Enduro is my current favorite 2600 game

Cafeman

This is my "reference game" to demonstrate that the 2600's wider color palette and ability to change it on the fly does in fact allow for games on the system that simply could not be done (at least not with tons of dithering) on systems with fixed color palettes (like the Intellivision or Apple II or C=64). The use of color here is directly intertwined with the gameplay. It's not just eyecandy, although it probably is the only 2600 game that one could consider "immersive" in a visual sense.

I completely agree, but you bring up a question in my mind. In Activision Anthology, when you're in the fog, all of the taillights are pinkish, except once in a while, there's one car with RED lights. I don't remember this being on the original hardware. Do you recall?

It really is a showcase of the strength of the TIA chip.

Has there ever been a more modern driving game that could be considered a successor of Enduro, that has the full day/night/snow/fog environmental treatment?

Agreed, it's still awseomely playable. It's a little goofy to always have an "icy" time of the day, but c'est la vie. There's Le Mans 24 Hr Grand Prix on the Dreamcast, which is another endurance game, but I don't know if it cycles the light like Enduro (or Robot Tank!). There's an "endurance" mode on Daytona USA, but it's not even close, since that's just a loop.

Activision should have made one by now, that's for sure.
There's always Outrun, and Cruis'n USA, I suppose :P Maybe the rumored XBOX Outrun will do something similar, or perhaps make makers are afraid of alienating kids and worrying parents with marathon-encouraging games. Note that there hasn't been another Olympics game with a long distance event since the wacky Activision Decathlon.

The one thing I miss with Enduro is analog steering and gas pedal. Control is okay but it is, in the end, digital and there is only so much driving feel you can squeeze out of the joystick. There is a lot of tapping of the stick and the button you have to do at times to approximate the precision you could get from analog controls.
I rather like the absence of a speedometer or tach, since it forces you to listen to the engine sounds, but they would be a helpful addition if someone were to hack/remake this game. I wonder if someone could do a homebrew with similar graphics but analog controls for the Dreamcast?

I completely agree, but you bring up a question in my mind. In Activision Anthology, when you're in the fog, all of the taillights are pinkish, except once in a while, there's one car with RED lights. I don't remember this being on the original hardware. Do you recall?

===> Yes, this happens on the original 2600 game, though the hue looks orange-ish on my TV.

Agreed, it's still awseomely playable. It's a little goofy to always have an "icy" time of the day, but c'est la vie. There's Le Mans 24 Hr Grand Prix on the Dreamcast, which is another endurance game, but I don't know if it cycles the light like Enduro (or Robot Tank!).

===> It does get day & night on the endurance races on TDLM for Dreamcast. You can speed up time (and , uh, you SHOULD) so that 1 hour = 1 day or even 2 hrs = 1 day. Sun sets, stars go up -- it's awesome. Rains sometime too. Foggy sometimes too! TDLM is a great game.

Incidentally, lately I use the Sega Genesis 6 button pad on my 2600 games, I can't stand the original stick. My Wico works well too but its button is wearing out.