IGNORED

7800 computer - finally !

Curt Vendel

Curt,

Please do get well! And if you don't -will to me, your collection! (or just the 1450XLD) LOL! KIDDING!!!

The 600XL is a nice little machine and I would think just about every collector has a broken one or two that could be sacrificed to the cause. Perhaps distributing a conversion kit for 600xl/800xl would even suffice! It would give everyone something to do with an obvious reward on completion. Think Heathkit!

"CurtKit" or "FujiKit" :)

Get well dude and may the Fuji be with you!

Noel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
So I was up all night working on the first 7800 Basic program. Here is it's officiall release.

Ready?

10 Print "Curt Rules!"

20 Goto 10

Allan

Does Atari BASIC require an "END" or "ENDPROG" command?

No - it recognizes the END keyword, but it is not required.

Stephen Anderson

• 2 months later...

Some thought just occured to me, how would the 'computer keyboard' connect or interface with the 7800

If it's along the lines of the original warners jobbie, there is the problem of, not all 7800's come with the expansion port (which looks like a modified sio port from the pics that i've seen)

If it's connected or interfaced via a cartridge adapter (a'la 2600=5200 alike thing) that might be an option and just stick a cartridge thru port at the top and an additional sio connector for a8 i/o devices (i.,e 1050/810/1027 etc)

The last option would be via the joystick ports (the cheapest and slowest option), only thing with that is, you'd have to have additional joystick connectors on the keyboard itself as i am sure the keybaord itself would take up both 7800 jioystick connectors

Some thought just occured to me, how would the 'computer keyboard' connect or interface with the 7800

If it's along the lines of the original warners jobbie, there is the problem of, not all 7800's come with the expansion port (which looks like a modified sio port from the pics that i've seen)

If it's connected or interfaced via a cartridge adapter (a'la 2600=5200 alike thing) that might be an option and just stick a cartridge thru port at the top and an additional sio connector for a8 i/o devices (i.,e 1050/810/1027 etc)

The last option would be via the joystick ports (the cheapest and slowest option), only thing with that is, you'd have to have additional joystick connectors on the keyboard itself as i am sure the keybaord itself would take up both 7800 jioystick connectors

Well everybody who knows about the 7800 keyboard knows how it connects. Why not try to do a search and find out? Then you won't have to guess.

Allan

Slow for a keyboard?

The development system I setup for the IM/WG/SG/etc development I did was capable of downloading the entire cartridge image pretty quick.

A lot quicker than the fastest typer I've ever seen, that's for sure ;)

It was on the order of, say, an entire cartridge image in a few minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
I hate to rain on our lovely parade folks but I seriously doubt Atari is going to do anything

with hardware.

It was never gonna be released by Atari. This was a Legacy Engineering project the whole time IIRC.

Yep, see the first message of this thread. I just like to resurrect it from time to time to show Curt I think it sounds like a fun idea.

I hate to rain on our lovely parade folks but I seriously doubt Atari is going to do anything

with hardware.

It was never gonna be released by Atari. This was a Legacy Engineering project the whole time IIRC.

Curt still needs Atari's backing.

No he doesn't. (that sounds rude but I'm not trying to be, sorry) This was a GCC project that was never sold to Atari. It would be up to the designers of the keyboard to let him do it or not. I believe he has their permission. There is a lot of discussion on here from a long time ago. If you do a search on '7800 keyboard' you'll find it.

Allan

This project only needs time, and interest.

Curt announced a ways back that all were working (the keyboard, and varous cartridges).

From that point I think he has been trying to figure out how to make these cheaply, and work on cases for the keyboard module.

I think this could be a lot of fun truthfully. So I keep showing that I am still interested.

with hardware.

No he doesn't. (that sounds rude but I'm not trying to be, sorry) This was a GCC project that was never sold to Atari. It would be up to the designers of the keyboard to let him do it or not. I believe he has their permission. There is a lot of discussion on here from a long time ago. If you do a search on '7800 keyboard' you'll find it.

Allan

Sure, if you want to release a non-Atari branded unit, however I beleive Curt wants the Atari name behind it.

If this is the case than he will need their blessing.

with hardware.

Allan

Sure, if you want to release a non-Atari branded unit, however I beleive Curt wants the Atari name behind it.

Ultimately I'll have to let Curt speak for himself because it's his project but I don't think he is going to stick the word Atari all over the keyboard. The only thing that says 'Atari' or has a fuji on it is the little metal label on the top cover. I doubt he would spend the money to have a metal label made up and add a lot of cost to making the keyboard. Beyond that Atari has nothing to do with it.

Allan

with hardware.

Allan

Ultimately I'll have to let Curt speak for himself because it's his project but I don't think he is going to stick the word Atari all over the keyboard. The only thing that says 'Atari' or has a fuji on it is the little metal label on the top cover. I doubt he would spend the money to have a metal label made up and add a lot of cost to making the keyboard. Beyond that Atari has nothing to do with it.

Allan

I dont know for sure either but from what I gather from his posts, it certainly came across to me as if he was looking

for Atari to back him on this, and understandably so. Of course Curt can clarify this if he so feels the need to. With the

new managment at Atari, many things have changed, Im sure and my guess would be that one of those things is not

to sink rescources into a console or any other hardware at this time. I could be wrong and hope I am. I'd love to see

a new piece of Atari hardware but I doubt we will any time soon or if ever again.

Then there is the funding needed to produce these units. My guess is Curt would love having Atari's help in this respect.

Edited by Gorf

with hardware.

Allan

Allan

I dont know for sure either but from what I gather from his posts, it certainly came across to me as if he was looking

for Atari to back him on this, and understandably so. Of course Curt can clarify this if he so feels the need to. With the

new managment at Atari, many things have changed, Im sure and my guess would be that one of those things is not

to sink rescources into a console or any other hardware at this time. I could be wrong and hope I am. I'd love to see

a new piece of Atari hardware but I doubt we will any time soon or if ever again.

Then there is the funding needed to produce these units. My guess is Curt would love having Atari's help in this respect.

From what I understand about what Curt wrote about this, he never was going to involve Atari with this. He started talking about this (as far as I know) years before Atari (or whatever it was called at the time) was interested in making any Flashback type thing. Curt started the topic in December 2005 and had stated that some of the work had started before that. Correct me if I'm wrong but did Infogrames buy the Atari rights then? Wasn't it still Hasbro that owned them then?

Allan

From what I understand about what Curt wrote about this, he never was going to involve Atari with this. He started talking about this (as far as I know) years before Atari (or whatever it was called at the time) was interested in making any Flashback type thing. Curt started the topic in December 2005 and had stated that some of the work had started before that. Correct me if I'm wrong but did Infogrames buy the Atari rights then? Wasn't it still Hasbro that owned them then?

I think Hasbro dumped Atari earlier than that but I could be mistaken. You may be right

about his original intentions. I may be mixing this up with the FB2.

• 5 months later...