IGNORED

Ladybug - 2600

johnnywc

Just an FYI; the phosphor effect for Stella can be toggled from the commandline with '-pp yes' or in-game with the 'Alt p' key combo.

1012917[/snapback]

ALT-P doesn't appear to do anything on the Mac. Apple-P changes the palette.

I found the setting by hitting TAB, but didn't notice anything until I restarted the cartridge. Then I went WOW - that's even better than on the TV :thumbsup:

Just an FYI; the phosphor effect for Stella can be toggled from the commandline with '-pp yes' or in-game with the 'Alt p' key combo.

1012917[/snapback]

I found the setting by hitting TAB, but didn't notice anything until I restarted the cartridge. Then I went WOW - that's even better than on the TV :thumbsup:

1013035[/snapback]

Stella for OSX uses the convention of 'Control' is 'Cmd', and 'Alt' is 'Shift-Cmd'. So try 'Shift-Cmd-p' instead. I didn't even know OSX keyboards had an Alt key.

1012917[/snapback]

1013035[/snapback]

Stella for OSX uses the convention of 'Control' is 'Cmd', and 'Alt' is 'Shift-Cmd'. So try 'Shift-Cmd-p' instead. I didn't even know OSX keyboards had an Alt key.

1013152[/snapback]

They don't.

Allan

the controls are excellent now - no problems moving the ladybug at all  :thumbsup:

1013436[/snapback]

Yeah, that's better.

Any feedback is welcomed

1013374[/snapback]

Are there no tricks you can use from games such as Lock 'N' Chase to get rid of the flicker or are we stuck with the Mouse Trap-like door flicker?

The barricades in Lock 'n' Chase are only one scan-line high, and there can only be two of them at a time. They're most likely quad-width missiles. This is entirely useless for Ladybug.

1013463[/snapback]

I wasn't just talking about the barricades. I wondered if the technique they use for no flicker cops could be used on the doors.

Oops, crap. Actually, it looks like Lock 'n' Chase uses a missile and a player for the guards, then the other missile and the ball for the barricades. Or both missiles for the guards and the other player and ball for the barricades. Or something like that. Anyway, it's programmed so that no two guards are ever on the same scan line, so there's never any need for flicker.

This doesn't help Ladybug because the enemies are too complex to be represented by missiles, and the game also has to display the fruit, letters, and bonus multipliers.

Oops, crap. Actually, it looks like Lock 'n' Chase uses a missile and a player for the guards, then the other missile and the ball for the barricades. Or both missiles for the guards and the other player and ball for the barricades. Or something like that. Anyway, it's programmed so that no two guards are ever on the same scan line, so there's never any need for flicker.

This doesn't help Ladybug because the enemies are too complex to be represented by missiles, and the game also has to display the fruit, letters, and bonus multipliers.

1013556[/snapback]

OK, thanks for the explanation.

Are there no tricks you can use from games such as Lock 'N' Chase to get rid of the flicker or are we stuck with the Mouse Trap-like door flicker?

1013443[/snapback]

The flickering playfield is hardly noticeable on a real TV (mine at least), and is about a jillion times better than Mousetrap. :)

1013600[/snapback]

That's good to know. Thanks.

This is coming along very nicely, and Nathan has done another great job on the sprites.  Are you planning to post the source code at some point as it would be interesting to see how it all works?

Thanks! And yes - Nathan's work is outstanding and very inspirational!

As for the source code, I will submit it to the Stella list once it's completed. Of course, if anybody has any technical questions about how things are being done, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be glad to answer them!

Looks great! Are there any unsolved technical challenges or are you good to go for production? (and I don't mean cart production, I mean making levels, and game code etc)

1014104[/snapback]

Thanks! As far as technical challenges, the only open issues are a better flicker-sort and squeezing this into 8K. Oh - and one major obstacle is translating the music using Stella's limited sound capabilities. Any volunteers are welcomed!! :)