IGNORED

Ladybug - 2600

johnnywc

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I thought I'd post the latest WIP ROM for Lady Bug. This is the version that will be on display this weekend at the MGC (thanks to Al @ AA).

This version is about 80% done. Still lots to do!

Here are the changes from the last BIN:

- enhanced the title screen a bit

- screens follow the proper sequence for the game (TITLE -> START -> MAZE)

- RESET resets the game (you can also press the button). RESET also works in-game.

- SELECT let's you start from a different veggie (it's not displayed on the title screen yet) when pressed on the title page

- SELECT in-game returns you back to the title screen

- added random letter generation. picks one from XTR, one from SPCIL and one from EA, per the arcade

- column location of the bonus items is now random (still need to randomize the rows)

In game:

- added a bunch of sounds: timer sound, eat-flower sound, door flip sound, bonus item pick-up sound, and skull/insect collision sound

- added the skulls (although they are the same color as the bonus items for now).

- dots (flowers) under bonus items are disabled prior to the level starting

- death sequence (sort of). shows the animation from lady bug to halo; still need to put in the "floating away" sequence

- reserve lady bugs are used when you get killed. game ends when all are used up

- end of level is detected. properly increases the level, veggie and insect and goes to back to the start screen. I only have 4 insects in this version so it wraps around at level 5.

- you get killed if you run into a skull (skull is removed)

- if you spell EXTRA, the extra screen is shown (along with a reserve lady bug). game then goes to the next level

- if you spell SPECIAL, the level simply ends (this will eventually go to the bounty harvest screen)

- insect stays in the pen until the timer loops around; insect goes back into the pen when colliding with a skull

- lady bug/insects pause when a bonus item is eaten (per the arcade)

- slightly improved the insect pursuit logic (not by much though - I need to overhaul this)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ladybug.bin

This looks really good!

I had an odd effect happen when I closed a door on a bug that was moving towards the top row. The bug disappeared, with only an occasional flicker of garbled green. When the bug finally reappeared it was at the bottom of the maze.

Oh My Nolan! This IS LADYBUG! Its even better then the Intellivision or even Colecovision in some ways. Again this is a great port for the 2600 and you done a better job then thouse programers at Coleco and if we do fine the origanil prototype of Ladybug for the 2600 I'll highly doubt that it will be this near to this arcade port as yours :D

Edited by Atariboy2600

The 2600 version of Lady Bug is going to rule. My tip for the top.

What do you mean "going to"...

I played it at the Midwest Classic, and it totally ROX!

Feh on those who said it couldn't be done!

Hello all,

Thanks for all the kind words - it is very much appreciated! I'm pretty happy with the way the game is turning out.

Here's a minor update:

- skulls are now white

- added the veggie in the middle (appears after the insect leaves the pen. in the final version it appears after the 4th insect leaves the pen). reappears if last insect is killed by a skull and re-enters the maze. you just get points for eating it; I still have to put in the code to freeze the bugs for a few seconds

- bonus items (heart/letter/skull) can appear in the top row now

- lady bug propeller spins a bit slower (per the arcade)

- lady bug enters the maze from the bottom (imagine the intro tune playing while she makes her way :))

To reposition the objects for the first row, I lost a line of resolution (top line of SPECIAL) - I'm optimizing right now to get that line back so please ignore it for now.

To do:

- multiple bugs (flicker sort routine)

- music (intro, extra, special, freeze, etc)

- other sound fx (end of timer, end of level, etc)

- overhaul bug movement logic

- add in other 4 bug animations

- SPECIAL bounty harvest screen

- animation on EXTRA screen

- difficulty ramping (faster timer, faster insects, etc)

Still plenty to do, RAM/ROM/cycles are all getting tight. Should be a challenging month or two!! :)

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again,

ladybug.bin

Edited by johnnywc

Hello all,

I've made some progress with Lady Bug. Here is the latest build:

- multiple insects now (up to 4) using semi-intelligent flicker. still some work to do here

- insects enter the maze per the arcade (one at a time)

- veggie enters maze after all insects have entered maze

- insects freeze for 5 seconds when veggie is eaten

- timer speeds up after each level

- insects speed up after each level

- fixed a bunch of graphic glitches (mostly with the flicker routine)

- fixed the bug that caused the bugs to go through walls if you closed a door on them

- hearts/letters/skull placement is now random by row as well as column

- improved the insect movement and pursuit logic (they still go back and forth too much though)

- added the score + multiplier graphic when you eat a letter or heart

- press SELECT on the title screen to start from a different level

- all 8 insect graphics are now in place

- you now don't have to be right over a dot to eat it (per ZB's request :))

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

ladybug.bin

Edited by johnnywc

Does praise count as feedback? :) When this is finished, this will definitely be a cart that I will add to my Atari collection!

Thank you very much! Still a ways to go but over all I'm pretty happy with the results. Flicker is a little bad on the later stages but hopefully I can make that a little better.

Maybe you should have Al start a box/label design contest, if you want to go that route.

Label and manual have already been started. I hope to have this out by August! :)

Time for some sleep... here's the last build for the night. This one includes or fixes:

- correctly disables the proper insect when it runs into a skull and sends it back to the middle if necessary

- fixed the timer sound when the level > 9

- lowered the timer volume a bit

- after level 9, mulitple insect types are included in the level (not just one kind)

- tweaked pursuit logic a bit (insects are still getting hung up in corners though... :( )

Thanks,

EDIT: Fixed another glitch (hopefully) that caused an insect to not come back if it was killed by a skull with less than 4 insects on the screen.

ladybug.bin

Edited by johnnywc