IGNORED

Pacman4K

DEBRO

• 2 weeks later...
Wish there was a way to avoid having the gaps in the playfield maze, though (which evokes memories of Ebivision's Pac-Man).

Given the 2600's playfield gfx limitations, it's not really possible to avoid them (unless playfield pixels are not to be used for the dots...i.e. Alien). Though the number of gaps can be cut down by fudging the maze gfx a bit.

Even with the various flavors of Pac-Man on the 2600, I still think there's room for improvement in replicating the original arcade game. How much room, I don't quite know. :)

Arcade monster movement pattern compatability, perhaps. Though some feel that patterns reduce the enjoyability of a game.

• Like 1

I want to make this as close to the arcade as I can get. I don't know if I'll include intermissions yet.

If a 4k rom size is not a goal, intermissions aren't much work to add in (and since they would exist apart from the regular game, there's plenty of ram to be reused if needed). In that sense, the only thing intermissions really "cost" is a single bit of ram to enable the seperate kernal.

BTW for those that don't know, this was in the works before my hack was begun.

• Like 1

I personally prefer from a gamer's perspective kernels that can share both P0 and P1, since such kernel designs often tend to flicker less than those that cannot.  I believe Pesco/HackEm do this.

I agree with you. I'd like exeriment with this. Moving 2 sprites in this 1LK will be tight but worth a try. That's part of the fun with programming the VCS :D

BTW, Pesco/HackEm does not do this. The ghosts and fruit share the same sprite so they would use a similar technique as I do. One thing they do is restrict the ghosts vertical movement.

In their game the restriction was placed there not due to a kernal limitation, but because 3 of the monsters do not seek the player. In the hack, I removed it because all of them could actively seek the player. This had no negative effect with the existing kernal.

My only point of critic would be that it's just Pac-Man again...;)

You're right and this is why I've stopped doing this a number of times. I've asked myself many times does the VCS need yet another Pac-man. This was really an exercise for me plus this was my favorite coin-op. When/if I finish this I don't know what I'll do with it. If anything, I'll have a cart made for myself.

Aw...the point is to handle the game's portability problems in new ways. Matching the arcade gfx is out before you even begin...so the next best thing is matching how it plays.

And it's not really Pac-Man "again" if you don't include wannabe hacks like mine ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Had there been any news on this game? :ponder:

--Edit: I'm a dolt!

Heh for a second I assum that you ment the Pac-Man game not the A-VCS-tec Challenge :twisted:

Yeah, I stupidly read the title of the thread and thought it was an older thread that Simon had started about A-VCS-tec Challenge, and then responded appropriately. D'oh!

..Al

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I still plan on finishing this but I just haven't had the time to devote to it lately. BTW, I'm not using the "Space Invader" looking ghosts like the 5200/A8 anymore. I'm using the ghosts done by ZylonBane.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes yes,screeeeeeens! :lust: :lust:

Edit:BTW,I like the '5200' look of the ghosts.When I saw the pics,I was like 'is this the 5200 version?!'

Still impressive anyway you look at it.Once you get this down perfect,A Ms.Pac hack would prolly be easy to do,like the arcade version :ponder:

Hope Super Pac and Baby pac aren't far behind :)

Edited by Breakpack

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Screenshot my lord? :lust:

I can do better than that and give you another test ROM. This still has bugs in it. I'm mainly using it to test timing. The frame delay values are consistent with 7800 Ms. Pac-man just reduced to 1 byte of RAM vs. 4 bytes :)

This test ROM is 4K and pretty much too tight to add anything else. I wanted to see if I could do a no frills Pacman in 4K. This is playable but missing elements (i.e. energizer sound, sound for eating monster, fruit sound, game over, death sound is awful, etc.). I'm also working on the variable flicker. The one in this one is buggy and doesn't give the results I'm looking for. I'll have to expand to at least 8K to get a decent one.

Give this a run in your favorite emulator or run it on the real thing and let me know what you think so far. Watch out for Blinky in "Cruise Elroy" state as he really flies after you at that point (again...working on timing).

Also, the monster sprite graphics come from ZylonBane and the Pacman sprite comes from PacManPlus. Thanks guys.

pacman4K.zip

• Like 1