IGNORED

K-Products HD interface

danwinslow

Hi!

I have one as well. Bob Klaas is the owner of K-Products and I contacted him a few years ago, due to I had one, but lost the interface in a move, but still had the HDD.

My setup is a 20 Meg SCSI HDD, in three paritions. The interface has a ROM that contains the Parition information. To change it, you need to get the new information about the new drive, and how you want to split it up, then re-burn the ROM.

THe interface is pretty good, it also contains a parallel port interface.

But for more information, try locating Bob Klaas. Last time I knew where he was, was in the Salt Lake City, Utah area.

Hope this helps.

-Spicy

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Guys,

Sorry to resurrect a thread with no activity since 2006, but I have recently acquired one of these interfaces, along with a Hard Drive and I cannot get my 800XL (either PAL or NTSC) to boot when it is powered up.

If I don't switch the interface on, the computer boots. The second I flick the switch on the Hard Drive unit, I get a screen of junk!

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Paul

The drive and interface should be powered and completely spun up/drive diagnostic/drive ready finished before turning on the computer.

If the interface is not happy with the drive, strange and wonderful things may/may not happen.

I'll have to dig mine out of storage and see what's up.

Hello guys

Supra sold it to K-Products. You can't reach Bob Klaas anymore, unfortunately, he died a couple of years ago. The interface was passed on to a third company, but I'm not sure if I am at liberty to say which company that was.

Back when this interface hit the market, this stuff (both the interface and the available HD's) was considered expansive. That's probably why they decided to put the partition data in the ROM.

Sincerely

Mathy

I had a Supra interface that I purchased from ICD at an Atari show (1988?) for $5. Really! When I found out about the EPROM partitioning scheme, I very quickly lost interest in it and gave it to another user. Anyway, I already had an MIO. AFAIK, two different people have worked on the Supra design to make improvements.
Larry

That interface looks exactly like the interface that is attached to my SupraDrive 10MB If I recall correctly it appears as D1 and D3 to your Atari. If the drive isn't formatted or doesn't have DOS on the D1 partition you can boot while holding "HELP" and it will boot from D2 (a real floppy drive or APE) so that you can run the setup program and get the HD configured properly. I never realized the disk geometry was hard coded in the ROM but I guess it makes sense because there really is no setup besides formatting and loading your files. I also remember hearing that these were sold to K-Products at some point like Mathy and danwinslow said earlier.

SupraDrive 10MB

More info HERE

• Like 1

He has it listed as "Seller Refurbished". Refurbished to what? He said himself he can't get it to work. Cleaning the outside and/or inside does not equal refurbished, at least in the case of an electro-mechanical device. It's more like a parts/as-is.

Edited by MrFish

He has it listed as "Seller Refurbished". Refurbished to what? He said himself he can't get it to work. Cleaning the outside and/or inside does not equal refurbished, at least in the case of an electro-mechanical device. It's more like a parts/as-is.

Good point: I saw "Seller Refurbished" and assumed it worked, until I read the listing a bit more closely.

I didn't bother to read the whole page, I was just pointing it out ;)