IGNORED

Rarest atari game

Atari freak 1

Perhaps the figure of "10 known copies" you've quoted comes from something you may have read on my Air Raid page. Note the description on that page says there are fewer than 10 copies known to exist. I was being somewhat conservative with that statement. Actually, I only know of four other collectors who claim they own the cartridge.

Ben

I own games, where I only know 1 copie.

My oddities

Here the 16 in 1, an overlabled 32 in 1 from Atari. Don't know who overlabled it, but there are only 16 games on it. The last 16 from the 32 in 1. The first 16 are not working.

And the first one the Video Pinball cartridge. This is a selfmade (??? not 100% sure) with 8 games on it. You can choose them by the spin switch at the top.

Never every see these both again.

But I think thats maybe selfmade games, so they don't count.

I think too Air Raid or Video Life are the rarest. I wish I own one of them.

quote:

Originally posted by tamashii14:

pitfall harry,

i had no idea that air raid was that rare. for curiousity's sake and an incentive to keep looking, how long ago did you find that?

I found Air Raid in the summer of 1998.

More recently, I found Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Crazy Climber just a couple of weeks ago. So rare games are still out there to be found if you look and look and look. Though both of these carts are quite rare, neither is anywhere near the rarity of Air Raid. Nevertheless, they are very rare. What may interest you even more is that you could end up owning one of them because I am giving both carts away for free! Be sure to check out

this topic thread for details.

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by Philflound:

I asked this one time before with no answer. How rare is Mangia? Like going price, or known copies. I know it is much rarer than a Crazy Climber or Waterworld.

Phil

The PAL version of Mangia' is quite rare but does pop up on eBay about 3 or 4 times a year. If I were to rate it on a 1 to 10 scale, I'd place it at a high 8 or a low 9.

After years of careful watching, I have never seen an auction for, never met nor even heard of a single collector who, upon checking it out, could claim he owned an NTSC version of Mangia'. Maybe an NTSC proto of it exists. But personally, I do not believe SpectraVideo produced an NTSC Mangia' for commercial release.

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by Eduardo:

Magicard can be considered the rarest of them all, but considering that a Magicard isn't exactly a game, from all the games available I think that Ben is right, AirRaid is next to impossible to find in the wild.

As far as the Commavid games are concerned, Video Life is even rarer than Magicard. Rumored production numbers vary, but they all seem to agree it was less than the number of Magicards.

As for Air Raid and Video Life, I have no idea which one is rarer. I've heard about a dozen Video Lifes in the hands of collectors, but if that definitely makes Air Raid rarer, well, I think it's just impossible to tell.

I just go by a top-5, in no particular order: Magicard, Air Raid, Video Life, Eli's Ladder, and Gauntlet. All incredibly rare

Cheers,

Marco

there was an auction last year from a guy in Austria for a boxed master builder, boxed mangia and a few other games. the seller did not know if they were pal or ntsc. i later asked the buyer (look.what.i.got) and he said they were NTSC.

does anyone else have an NTSC version of mangia?

quote:

Originally posted by CincYnoTi:

there was an auction last year from a guy in Austria for a boxed master builder, boxed mangia and a few other games. the seller did not know if they were pal or ntsc. i later asked the buyer (look.what.i.got) and he said they were NTSC.

Possible, but quite improbable, I'd say. How would an Austrian come up with those incredibly rare NTSC versions? Perhaps the buyer just happened to have a good tv

Cheers,

Marco

If the cartridges came from Austria, then why would they be in NTSC format? PAL is the television standard there. Doesn't it make more sense that the games would be PAL? An NTSC Mangia' never turns up in North America where NTSC is the standard. So why the heck would one turn up in Austria?

IF they were indeed NTSC games, then the Austrian seller would almost certainly have had to have gone through extraordinary effort to find, cajole and acquire them from another major collector who probably lived in North America, where NTSC is the standard. If that was the case, then both parties would have KNOWN the games were NTSC when they were sold to the Austrian. And the Austrian would never have said "I don't know" and he would have demanded a premium price when he finally sold them.

Collectors like to believe what they have is something extraordinarily rare. Many will be satisfied that their Obelix or their Mangia' is the ultra-rare NTSC version if it passes the simplest of tests. That test is usually the "Flip" test -- plug the game into NTSC equipment and if it dosen't make the TV screen roll vertically then the game has to be NTSC. But I have several PAL games which pass the Flip Test. They do not make my TV screen roll. Some do, some don't. Some make one TV screen roll but have no affect on another. The Mangia' cartridge from my personal collection, for example, is PAL. But it passes the Flip Test on every NTSC TV I have tested it on. The fact that the Flip Test is inconclusive matters not to a collector who really wants to believe he has captured the holy grail.

How reliable is the word of the buyer you know who claims his Mangia' is NTSC? How thoroughly did he check it?

Ben

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Pitfall Harry ]

I'm almost positive that Air Raid is rarer.Since i've been collecting i have seen 2 or 3 Video Life's on ebay. I have never seen an air raid on ebay. If youre going to CGE and you own an air raid bring it so I can drool all over it. I actually enjoyed playing some air raid on my emulator (when it was working).