IGNORED

800XL networking?

liquidcross

There's really no point in browsing on your atari. Telnet and FTP are more likely. Hardware-wise if you have a modem there's a SLIP-type packetdriver...but I have never used it. Right now I am integrating a custom NIC card on my 130xe...more or less a SIO2PC style serial connection between the NIC and the atari. I have a FTP client and a network time fetch (NTP) both working in very early versions.

Whether ther is any point in browsing the net with an 8-bit Atari is a matter of OPINION. Personally, I'd love to surf with my 8-bit, even if it's only text based. Contiki IS the way to go too. But right now, Contiki (at least for the 8-bit) does not allow PPP internet access, so using a modem and your local dial-up internet provider is out of the question. The only way (currently) to use Contiki with the 8-bit to surf is through your PC with a broadband connection, using A.P.E/SIO2PC to connect the Atari to your PC and use your PC's broadband modem with A.P.E's Atari modem emulator. I only have dial-up PPP connection, so I haven't done this yet. I'm hoping that a PPP version of Contiki comes along soon, then all it would take is connecting your Atari to a standard dial-up modem and connecting to your dial-up internet provider, just like a PC. I have my 800 all set up in this way just waiting for a PPP compatible Contiki.

• Like 1

Whether ther is any point in browsing the net with an 8-bit Atari is a matter of OPINION. Personally, I'd love to surf with my 8-bit, even if it's only text based. Contiki IS the way to go too. But right now, Contiki (at least for the 8-bit) does not allow PPP internet access, so using a modem and your local dial-up internet provider is out of the question. The only way (currently) to use Contiki with the 8-bit to surf is through your PC with a broadband connection, using A.P.E/SIO2PC to connect the Atari to your PC and use your PC's broadband modem with A.P.E's Atari modem emulator. I only have dial-up PPP connection, so I haven't done this yet. I'm hoping that a PPP version of Contiki comes along soon, then all it would take is connecting your Atari to a standard dial-up modem and connecting to your dial-up internet provider, just like a PC. I have my 800 all set up in this way just waiting for a PPP compatible Contiki.

1008255[/snapback]

Dammit. I still haven't gotten APE or similar software to work properly on my Mac. :(

1008255[/snapback]

Dammit. I still haven't gotten APE or similar software to work properly on my Mac. :(

1008257[/snapback]

then go to your local Goodwill/thrift/swapmeet/used computer stor, etc and pick up a dirt cheap old PC that runs Windows 3.1 or 95/98, you don't need much, just to get A.P.E working. It'll be a dedicated PC just to be a file server/net access for your Atari. An old laptop would work too, and save on space. I have my XL/XE's connected to my usual PC with SIO2PC& A.P.E, but I also have a PS/1 486 with windows 3.1/MS-dos connected to my 800 via A.P.E DOS version as strictly a file server for the 800. I picked it up for $10 at the local community thrift store. But if I wanted, I could still connect that old PC to my phone line too (not of much use until a PPP protocal becomes available for Contiki).

thats why my old pentium 1, 233 mhz 64 mb ram windows 98 laptop is used for...as a simple file archive system for sio2pc and xf1541... :)

but never tried to surf the net over the virtual modem...

1008402[/snapback]

A cheap laptop would indeed be nice...not quite sure where to find on around here, though...ebay's kind of a ripoff.

A cheap laptop would indeed be nice...not quite sure where to find on around here, though...ebay's kind of a ripoff.

1008736[/snapback]

Ahem...

I'll post this publicly in case anyone else is interested, but liquidcross gets first dibs.

I have some old laptops I'd like to sell on the cheap. They're:

Compaq LTE 5280

Compaq LTE 5250

Compaq LTE 5300 (includes original Compaq case and car adapter)

The AC adapter for one of them has stopped working - I don't remember which. That's the only problem I recall. I'll give everything a once-over and provide any interested parties with a status report.

I'd like to get around $50 for each of these, and maybe a little more for the 5300 ($60?). Shipping would be from Indianapolis.

If you're interested, send me a PM.

Josh

I use debian and lynx running on an old PC and Ice-T running on my ATARI for browsing the net via sio2pc ...

bad:

-the browser isn't really running on an ATARI

-you need a PC running

good:

-you can browser via ATARI

-you can do anything that's possible on a LINUX-PC

Mirko

What do you browse? You mean Telnet sites? Or do you have a lynx running on the Atari?

1010937[/snapback]

It sounds like he uses the Atari as a dumb terminal to a Linux PC. I use to do this via APE... you can run Lynx, Pine, Elm, Telnet IRC, etc on the Linux PC and view it on the Atari.

First, I want to impress some friends, who think, LINUX is running on that old ATARI machine...

Second, I don't have to move between two places (PC <-> ATARI), if I want to surf a little...

Third, I can hear, if someone enters the IRC-Channel (I/O-Sound)

Fourth, I have no other monitor connected to my debian LINUX machine.

And last, why shouldn't I?

post-8369-1138975491_thumb.jpg

First, I want to impress some friends, who think, LINUX is running on that old ATARI machine...

Second, I don't have to move between two places (PC <-> ATARI), if I want to surf a little...

Third, I can hear, if someone enters the IRC-Channel (I/O-Sound)

Fourth, I have no other monitor connected to my debian LINUX machine.

And last, why shouldn't I?

1011992[/snapback]

Very cool. I actually have debian running on my TT030 and use the 8bit as a terminal to the TT. :)

1008255[/snapback]

1008257[/snapback]

Are you aware of this for OS X?

http://members.cox.net/atarimac/Sio2OSX.html

Allan